Curious -- coffee

Options

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Why do people log coffee on their diary? That's just being super anal about your diet. Chill out, it's just a cup of coffee.

I log everything... and would you not log a cookie.. bcuz its super anal since its just a cookie!?!?!?
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I log everything that goes into my mouth, including coffee. I put it in my food diary as food because of the cream and sugar I add to it. The only thing I count as water is plain water.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Why do people log coffee on their diary? That's just being super anal about your diet. Chill out, it's just a cup of coffee.

Because most people, like myself, at least take cream in their coffee, which can add up to 100 calories depending on how light you take your coffee.

Many, MANY people also take it with sugar. So, tracking a 150 calorie cup of coffee is NOT being anal. It is being ACCURATE. People complain about not seeing results because they don't keep track of ALL of their calories.

I just log the creamer, do people log the actual coffee itself?
    As for water, I drink a ton of it throughout the day so I don't log it, but I wouldn't count coffee, just drink more water!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    concur with McMillen, I log coffee, protein drinks, tea, etc as water intake but do count the calories under whatever meal that was. sodas, milk, alcohol on the other hand I don't. your choice

There's water in virtually everything we eat and drink (fruits and vegs in particular), but I think the point is to drink 8 glasses of real pure water in addition to what you are already getting. In my opinion, coffee is made with water, but it isn't water. In fact the diuretic qualities of it will actually result in a loss of water. All just my opinions...
    The 8-glasses of water thing is a glorious, longstanding misunderstanding:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • grumpster72
    grumpster72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Only plain old water should be counted as water intake. If you add anything to it, including crystal light types of powders, it shouldn't count.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Only plain old water should be counted as water intake. If you add anything to it, including crystal light types of powders, it shouldn't count.

That's interesting.

So other ingredients somehow evaporate the water when mixed in?
  • tphil58
    tphil58 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to make a serous change in lifestyle, therefore I log everything that goes in. Water as water all other drinks including coffee with whatever meal I have them with and I drink my coffee black. If you aren't logging everything then you aren't keeping track of the other stuff besides calories that you take in.
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    concur with McMillen, I log coffee, protein drinks, tea, etc as water intake but do count the calories under whatever meal that was. sodas, milk, alcohol on the other hand I don't. your choice

There's water in virtually everything we eat and drink (fruits and vegs in particular), but I think the point is to drink 8 glasses of real pure water in addition to what you are already getting. In my opinion, coffee is made with water, but it isn't water. In fact the diuretic qualities of it will actually result in a loss of water. All just my opinions...
    The 8-glasses of water thing is a glorious, longstanding misunderstanding:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Thanks for posting that. I am really learning a lot here. I was taking the water thing so literally. I do drink a lot of water, but I also drink coffee and tea, an occasional soda or lemonade. :) Mostly, I will probably still log water because my hair and skin are both better for it when I do, but it's good to know that I can loosen up a bit. :laugh:
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If you aren't logging everything then you aren't keeping track of the other stuff besides calories that you take in.

I just looked up coffee...2 calories in an 8oz cup, no other nutrients, so I think I'll keep not logging it lol
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Why shouldn't it count anymore? It still contains water. It still hydrates your body the same.
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I log it all:-)
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Because most people, like myself, at least take cream in their coffee, which can add up to 100 calories depending on how light you take your coffee.

Many, MANY people also take it with sugar. So, tracking a 150 calorie cup of coffee is NOT being anal. It is being ACCURATE. People complain about not seeing results because they don't keep track of ALL of their calories.

I just log the creamer, do people log the actual coffee itself?
    As for water, I drink a ton of it throughout the day so I don't log it, but I wouldn't count coffee, just drink more water!

Personally I get my coffee at Dunkin Donuts when I go, so I use the website to calculate my nutrition and my coffee is already in the my fitness pal database, so it includes the calories from the coffee and the cream. :) I know a lot of people don't actually log the COFFEE itself, but I always have. It's still calories :)
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't count my water at all.. I go by how I feel. I don't even worry about tracking.. if I did, I wouldn't track my coffee.. I don't exactly feel 'hydrated' after having it.. and I know caffeine is dehydrating. I drink tons of water every day, I always have my bottle next to me. There really is not set amount for every either... the 8 cups a day isn't right for everyone.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee black, and I don't bother logging the 5-10 cal per cup (or whatever) that it contributes. The calories it contributes are negligible, well within the margin of error of calorie logging in general.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I count water and tea as water. That's what it is. All you are doing is really infusing it with something else. Just like I would count fruit infused water made at home as water.
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I log it all because I am accountable, and the closer you get to goal the more you need to pay attention how things effect you...before logging it I would drink way more coffee and creamer
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Coffee isnt actually a diuretic, and won't dehydrate you. It counts as water.
    This is true.
  • juli_jones
    juli_jones Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I log everything that passes my lips (um... most everything) - water is water and coffee is in breakfast section. The only way I would log something else as water is if it was "infused" water with lemon or cucumbers etc. .. maybe lemonade too but then log the sugar separate.
    [/quote

Isn't coffee just water that is infused with coffee beans? What's the difference??]
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I get migraines all the time, and sometimes certain foods make me completely tired. So I consider the food diary an aid to figuring out how I feel after eating certain foods etc. I write a lot of notes in my "note" section in the diary like foods that make me feel full, tired, days I get migraines etc.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    What is everyones opinion? Can you or do you count your morning coffee in your water intake? It's made with water. Same with most protein drinks/powder. They are mixed with water. Let me know what you think.

I only count water as water, but then again I ONLY drink water (I've been doing this for years, not to lose weight, just preference).

I have an occasional cup of coffee which I don't count as water (but I average 12-16 cups of water a day or more so I don't bother logging it all) but I think it depends on you. Logging the water seems to be for ourselves to look at, it's not going to affect the numbers.