Strong lifts 5x5

Options
Do I gradually increase the weight each session or do I start off right out the gate with what it suggests? I have never lifted before so I was thinking maybe i should do just the bar for a week and then add in more weight

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Why not follow the program as outlined in the program? Then you'd already have your answer.
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I did more research and found out that the actual program outline is to progress 5 lbs each week. Sorry. The guy at the gym told me wrong information. He told me to start with 10-25lbs out the gate.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone..you can download the app..it increments for you..
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Not exactly sure what the program calls for but I believe it says add weight each WEEK. That's what I do in my own bastardized version of 5x5's

So I work with the same weight for the 3 days of the week.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the programme says to start with the empty bar... for an olympic barbell the bar itself weighs 45lb. some women (beginners especially) will find that the empty bar is too heavy, in which case you can start off lighter by using a non-standard barbell that's lighter.

there's a group for women doing stronglifts 5x5 on here, where you can ask stuff like this to other women who are familiar with the programme. Personally I'm only on week 2, although Ive done other lifting/strength training before
  • keelerangela
    Options
    If you have a smartphone..you can download the app..it increments for you..

Thanks.. I do so that should help!
  • keelerangela
    Options
    the programme says to start with the empty bar... for an olympic barbell the bar itself weighs 45lb. some women (beginners especially) will find that the empty bar is too heavy, in which case you can start off lighter by using a non-standard barbell that's lighter.

there's a group for women doing stronglifts 5x5 on here, where you can ask stuff like this to other women who are familiar with the programme. Personally I'm only on week 2, although Ive done other lifting/strength training before
    Awesome. Thank you
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I found that for me, a woman, I needed to start a little lower than the recommended weight. If you have an iphone there is a phone app you can use to track. I had to use the smith machine (an olympic bar (45lbs normally) on a pulley system, so it is only 15lbs) to start out with the Overhead press and bench press. The squat and Deadlift and row I could do at recommended starting weight.

Make sure you watch both of the videos a few times before you start.

I also didn't always increase the weight each time. I needed to feel confident so I restructure a bit for my body and tend to repeat a weight twice before moving up.

There is a group here for women, I suggest you join it, they are all really open and helpful..

good luck! I love the program.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Not exactly sure what the program calls for but I believe it says add weight each WEEK. That's what I do in my own bastardized version of 5x5's

So I work with the same weight for the 3 days of the week.

the basic 5x5 programme you add weight each workout.

OP: forgot to mention, in the 5x5 for women group there's a sticky thread with "cliffs notes" of the programme... much easier to follow than the pdf that you download from the website
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You increase weight every workout (by 10lbs on DL & by 5lbs on everything else) but there are 2 different workouts--although squats are in both. My daughter started out with a 25lb barbell that I had around because the 45lb bar was just too heavy for her. She's up to the Olympic bar or higher on everything but the OHP now. She's been doing it about 5 weeks. I'm on week 7.

Start where you can. You'll make progress. :)

The iPod app is great. I like how it tells you when you need to deload and by how much. I hear they have a Droid app now, too.