Deadlift Question - FOR THE LIFTERS

Options
2»

Replies

• jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    So........follow-up question..........

Bublebums and JNick77 both mention the possibility of tearing a bicep with mixed grip (I wasn't aware of that. Yikes!) Does alternating grip (left overhand, right underhand....then switch) help prevent that? That's what I've been doing. Just curious.

Have a look at the link I posted above--alternating the grip won't help you because you are using a mixed grip, i.e., the conditions under which a bicep tear happens will still be there even if you change hands. The mixed grip also puts uneven strain on the rest of your body, not just the arms.

So yeah, I'd learn to use something other than the mixed grip, especially if you are an older lifter (>30 years old). Your tissues just aren't as well hydrated or elastic as a younger person's, and tears and other injuries are more likely. Don't tempt fate.
    I will definitely try out the hook grip and see if that helps. I'm working with my trainer tonight and hoping we deadlift so I can try it. And yes, I'm definitely in the >30 category (47 to be exact) and you make a good point about hydration and elacticity. And I'll read the article fully tonight after work. Thanks for all your explanations. I really appreciate it.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Bublebums and JNick77 both mention the possibility of tearing a bicep with mixed grip (I wasn't aware of that. Yikes!) Does alternating grip (left overhand, right underhand....then switch) help prevent that? That's what I've been doing. Just curious.

Some people switch their grips up for symmetry. AFAIK the best way to prevent a torn bicep is to make sure your arms are all the way straight (IE not trying to lift the weight with your arms), elbows locked.

Also when you're getting near the weight that you're having grip failure, you can reset/adjust your grip after you put the bar down. You shouldn't be "bouncing" the weight anyway (that's a cheat).
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Have a look at the link I posted above--alternating the grip won't help you because you are using a mixed grip, i.e., the conditions under which a bicep tear happens will still be there even if you change hands. The mixed grip also puts uneven strain on the rest of your body, not just the arms.

So yeah, I'd learn to use something other than the mixed grip, especially if you are an older lifter (>30 years old). Your tissues just aren't as well hydrated or elastic as a younger person's, and tears and other injuries are more likely. Don't tempt fate.
    I will definitely try out the hook grip and see if that helps. I'm working with my trainer tonight and hoping we deadlift so I can try it. And yes, I'm definitely in the >30 category (47 to be exact) and you make a good point about hydration and elacticity. And I'll read the article fully tonight after work. Thanks for all your explanations. I really appreciate it.

The main difference between the hook grip (thumb under fingers) and the regular overhand grip (thumb over fingers) is that the hook grip is stronger. You are basically making a lifting strap out of your hands. That's something you could practice, if you can handle the unpleasantness of the sensation, for testing your max.

What I do is use the overhand grip now for my normal training lifts. I figure the grip strength will improve, and even with a weaker grip, my legs and back feel challenged. Slow and easy does it. Improving grip strength is important for daily functionality, and you shouldn't need gadgets for it if you have access to a barbell.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    P.S. I think you need to have fairly large hands to be able to do a hook grip, so as a woman, you might not be able to get your fingers around an Olympic barbell that way. But you could try. An overhand grip should be possible for anyone. (I am tall and have correspondingly large hands for a woman so it's not an issue for me. Enter the Seinfeld jokes.)
  • jody664
    Options
    P.S. I think you need to have fairly large hands to be able to do a hook grip, so as a woman, you might not be able to get your fingers around an Olympic barbell that way. But you could try. An overhand grip should be possible for anyone. (I am tall and have correspondingly large hands for a woman so it's not an issue for me. Enter the Seinfeld jokes.)
    Well that may rule me out. I have very small hands. But I'm going to give it a try and see if it works for me. (LOL, that's one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes BTW!)
  • lhprop1
    lhprop1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As said before, hook grip requires large hands and a pretty high pain tolerance and it takes a long time go get used to it.

Chalk will definitely help, as will ditching the gloves. Wearing gloves actually increases the diameter of the item in your hand, making hit harder to hold. Unless you have a good reason to keep your palms silky smooth, there's really no reason to wear gloves when deadlifting.
  • jody664
    Options
    As said before, hook grip requires large hands and a pretty high pain tolerance and it takes a long time go get used to it.

Chalk will definitely help, as will ditching the gloves. Wearing gloves actually increases the diameter of the item in your hand, making hit harder to hold. Unless you have a good reason to keep your palms silky smooth, there's really no reason to wear gloves when deadlifting.
    You're right about the gloves.....I do notice it adds to the diameter of the bar. As for my reasons........well, is vanity a valid reason? LOL I was bleeding after my first deadlift. And I STILL have the calluses from that one session. I may try it without gloves again and see how it feels. Thanks for the input.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Another option is Versa Grips. I had a pair but left them at the gym. They work well and are easy to use.
    http://versagripps.com/
  • lhprop1
    lhprop1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you want to improve your grip for deadlifting without deadlifting, you need to work on your supporting grip. Any type of static hold will help with your supporting grip. You could hang from a pullup bar, hold dumbbells at your sides, or put the bar on the pins on the rack and do a partial deadlift and just hold it.
  • jody664
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for suggestions. I'm going to try changing things up some and see what helps. Looking forward to adding more weight on the bar as my grip gets stronger.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You misunderstood my post. Injury can happen at any given time doing any given lift, **** just happens. The tendency to tear one using a mixed grip is high if you don't use it all the time. If you warm up with a hook grip and then lift your main work with a mixed then it's probably not good. If you warm-up with the mixed and then do your worksets, you're fine. People lift with mixed grip all the time and men have DL'd 1,000 lbs using it and been fine. I definitely recommend using a mixed grip while doing heavy deadlifts. I also made no reference to alternating grips.

The information I provided was obtained by reading information from people considerably more experienced and stronger than anybody in this thread, but take it as you will. I just wanted to point-out the potential problems of starting your workout with one grip and then finishing your heaviest sets with a mixed grip.
  • jody664
    Options
    You misunderstood my post. Injury can happen at any given time doing any given lift, **** just happens. The tendency to tear one using a mixed grip is high if you don't use it all the time. If you warm up with a hook grip and then lift your main work with a mixed then it's probably not good. If you warm-up with the mixed and then do your worksets, you're fine. People lift with mixed grip all the time and men have DL'd 1,000 lbs using it and been fine. I definitely recommend using a mixed grip while doing heavy deadlifts.
    Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I did misunderstand. I think I have it now.