Hi! Looking for 50 and over for mutual support.

Options
124»

Replies

• Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well I am 49 and holding until March 5.... :)

I am completely out of shape. I used to jazzercise 4x a week last year but the classes are at night and I really want to exercise during the day.....Sometimes I kick myself for quitting as at least I was doing some excercising.

It is now May and I have not excercised this year but maybe a handful of times. I go to the gym (planet fitness) and walk on the treadmill for about 1/2 hour and have gone about 5 times this year and that is it.

I am 5'7" and weigh just over 200 lbs. I need to lose at least 50 lbs. I don't watch what I eat. And I don't exercise. I want to rectify this.
    I am starting to feel my age(or older)....
    I purchased some workout dvd's and well, I just need to put them in the machine and push play(as the video says to do...I watched it, just didn't do the excercising).

I am here for motivation and accountability. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks for listening.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 55, menopausal, and too heavy. I'm 5'6" and started at 193. With clothes on, I don't think I look that bad, but "in the raw", LOTS of fat pockets and bumps! I've been working the plan for 10 weeks and didn't really lose anything. Lose and pound then gain a 1/2 and was stuck at 192. It takes time and you have to be patient. Make sure you do your measurements because you are probably going to lose inches before you start losing pounds but that's good! I followed the "Road Map" that is posted on the site and found out I wasn't eating enough. I had been eating around 1400-1500 cal/day and then adding in my exercise but this week I set my calories at 1700/day and I lost 3#'s! I was so excited and I'm anxious to see what this week brings. I use a Fitbit so I started a spreadsheet from the beginning and I log each day the Calories Burned, What 20% of that amount is, the actual Calories ate, and then weight. I found a pattern of the weeks I lost I was eating around 1700 and then when I gained back I was eating 1400-1500. Weird that you have to Eat More to Lose! Good Luck!
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well I am a guy, but I have learned a lot.

Item 1 Measure Everything! Arms legs neck forearms calves all of it. Just because you are not losing does not mean you are not shrinking.

Item 2. Patiences it takes about 4 - 6 weeks to really start seeing results. I've been at more than a year. Lost 42 lbs in the fist year. I lost maybe 2 in the first month.

Item 3 Read the 'New Rules for Weightlifting for Women' Cardio is good, Eating well is essential and weightlifting is critical.

I used the eating guide at livestrong.com and designed by diet around a goal weight and exercise plan. It made for a really reasonable amount of food.

The great thing is the number of success stories I see here. I know it can be done! :)
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm 64 and part of the slow to lose crowd. Remember slow, but steady wins the race. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a 58 year old grandpa! So in the interests of equal rights for grandpas and the fact that I've lost over 70 lbs on my way to almost 100, I offer my support to any baby boomers who are looking for it. No BS, but honest to goodness, 100% on time support. Been online for almost a year. My profile is public, take a look and if you like what you see, send me a FR. In any case, want inspiration? Look at this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=505826956150445&set=vb.154798851253259&type=2&theater
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, Feel free to add me...I'm 54 (almost 55) and always had my eye to the scale and been on a few diets over the years.....if you want the truth with no sugar coating then add me....I won't give the high five if you go over your cal count or consume too much sugar etc....but I will give my advice for what it's worth and I appreciate the same right back.
  • trinitypinecone
    trinitypinecone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 55 and have been on this site for about 7 weeks with great success, (17 pounds) but a long way to go. For me what helps the most is having enough fiber, typically 25 to 40 mg, far more than the goals here. Legumes are a great addition for satisfying low calorie high fiber staples. Homemade split pea soup made with dry peas, low sodium broth and a little ham has been fun to eat, and broth based soups with leeks and mushrooms are satisfying very low calorie and very quick to prepare meals. Never having been big on salads, eating hearty fare like this has helped low calorie meals be a treat instead of a sacrifice.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I will be fifty in December. Feel free to add me.
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hey add me as a friend and will support you all the way I have looked at and stolen shamelessly from lots of food diaries it takes time to balance all the variables.
  • rachelamedley5
    rachelamedley5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me I always reply to all my friends and we share stuff about what we are doing so it's not all weight loss!!
  • ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hello fefafi . I'm 57 and needing to shed an additional 40 lbs. Don't despair - like others have indicated here - the weight loss at first will be slow for some. I joined in March of this year, thought I would never see my first loss. Now I have lost over 11 lbs. Just give it time, eat enough calories, exercise and enjoy this lifestyle improvement. Come on, let's do this. I log on daily, offer encouragement and like to receive as well.
  • Grannychick75
    Grannychick75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Grannychick75,
    I have recently been diagnosed with heart failure and am trying to find some one that is living with this heart Disease. I have recently joined My Fitness Buddy. I really finds that it helps me know what I am eating regarding the sodium etc.
    I am doing very well as is my Husband of 60 years,who of course does not need to lose very much. He is a great man though and said if you have to do this I will too. It will not hurt us to start eating healthy. What I need is a few friends my age and possibly some similar problems. I need to lose at least 30 more pounds. I love this program and am looking forward to meeting new friends.
    Hopefully I will remember to check back every day to check the message board.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone! I've been on MFP for well over a year and have done pretty well....40 lb down and counting. The thing I'm happiest about is that I've been able to stick with it, and have maintained my losses through quite a bit of travel this year. I'm working on the last 25-30 lb. and figure it'll be another year before its all gone. For me this works because of the tracking and also because of the friends list and news feed.
    Good luck to all.
  • hollysmom55
    Options
    Hi. I am 57, and from CT. I had gastric bypass surgery on 8/29/12. I lost 95 lbs. I never tracked, weighed or measured my food all that time. Just ate small portions of things I was allowed to have. Since Easter, I have stopped losing weight. Someone at my weight loss support site suggested this fitness pal. I still have 45 lbs. to lose, aqnd there is no way I am going to stop here. I put my foods into the fitness tracker, and was very surprised to see how many extra calories I was taking in. Plus I had gotten into the bad habit again of snacking at night. Crackers, pretzels, baked chips, sugar free pudding. I starting checking calories on everything, and realized why I had stopped losing weight. There are so many calories in all that stuff. It is so easy to plan your day out on here. This is only my second day, but I am sure that following this every day will help me lose the last 45 lbs. I plan all my snacks but one for the night time, because that is when I want to snack. But I am just going to have to keep fighting that urge.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    HI, I'm from CT , 54 This site helped me realize why I crept up 40 pounds over the last 3 years. I'm not stupid, (although denial is a strong feeling) but I had no idea how high so many things I touched during the day were in calories. I ate mindlessly at work, a hershey kiss here and there, a bagel someone kindly brought from DD or a few munchkins or muffins someone nicely baked for us. Once in a while is fine, but I overate a lot although it was never at one meal...over a course of the day. I would eat crackers watching TV and not realize until half the box was gone, I probably went over the "one serving". : )

I can't lose much without exercise..so I have been trying to do that 5 days a week and mix it up so I don't get too used to it. I can go over a week without much change, one time 2 weeks, but as my doctor said, slow is best...you don't lose real fat doing fasts etc.

Keep it up, one day at a time and after a while it wont seem so odd to not default on old habits.