Work out videos

Options
I am a mom and have to do all my working out at home. Any tips on what do? Any good videos I can buy in stores? I am so bored with walking I could pull my hair out! Add me if youwould like. I am always looking for a partner in crime :)

Replies

• FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    dont go for any of the gimmicky cardio dance ones, try out you are your own gym
    http://www.marklauren.com/

read plenty of good reviews on this. Basically just body weight exercise routines.
  • Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I work out with Jillian Michaels' DVD's. "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" is great to begin with because you can build up your workout gradually. Always start with the Warm-up and finish with the Stretches at the end, and you can do as many of the 7 circuits in between as you wish. She also gives easier alternatives during the workout for beginners. My son's personal trainer has said that she is very respected for her videos because they are not "gimmicky" and they really do work.

Best of luck! :smile:
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I'm currently doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred DVD. I know she has several others out there but I tend to hear more about 30DS.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I work out with Jillian Michaels' DVD's. "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" is great to begin with because you can build up your workout gradually. Always start with the Warm-up and finish with the Stretches at the end, and you can do as many of the 7 circuits in between as you wish. She also gives easier alternatives during the workout for beginners. My son's personal trainer has said that she is very respected for her videos because they are not "gimmicky" and they really do work.

Best of luck! :smile:

they work because its cardio, just like zumba or any other exercise that gets your heart rate up. they are pretty much all the same
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a combination of videos that have FANTASTIC reviews and produce awesome results!

-30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels (I love this , and it's helped me break my plateau!
    -Zumba Fitness (I do this on the off days, because I have built up an endurance for it! GREAT burn and lots of fun!
    -The Firm Express (This is like an INSANITY program for women. It's challenging for sure. I just started this one....but have had GREAT success with my other "Firm" programs!
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My friend and I do a variety of Jillian Michaels videos a few times a week and we both swear by them! This is the most successful we've ever been at losing and maintaining and we never spend more then 30-45 minutes working out. You get your butt kicked for 30-45 minutes, but after that you're done for the day and you really feel like you've accomplished a lot! The videos we've done and loved are:

30 DAY SHRED - awesome for beginners and only 20 minutes long for 30 days
    RIPPED IN 30 - same concept but 30 minute videos for 30 days
    BODY REVOLUTION - great program but a little more expensive and 90 days instead of 30
    KILLER BUNS AND THIGHS - currently using
    SIX WEEKS SIX PACK - currently using
    EXTREME SHED AND SHRED - currently using

We used to follow each program for the recommended amount of days but now we mix and match depending on how much time we have and what we want to focus on. Good luck working out at home CAN work!!!
  • lean60
    lean60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out You Tube. You can find lots of good effective work outs posted there that wont cost you $$. I also just just down loaded an app for YAYOG (You Are Your Own Gym). I started it today, It'll cost you a few dollars but you'll get lots of options and you can choose to make it as challenging as you need for your fitness level. You can choose to follow a set program or chose your own exercises and the amount of time you want to work out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    thedailyhiit.com
    lovingfit.com
    bodyripped.net
    angrytrainerfitness.com
    nerdfitness.com

go forth- sweat- and be fabulous
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a combination of videos that have FANTASTIC reviews and produce awesome results!

-30 Day Shred with Jillian Michaels (I love this , and it's helped me break my plateau!
    -Zumba Fitness (I do this on the off days, because I have built up an endurance for it! GREAT burn and lots of fun!
    -The Firm Express (This is like an INSANITY program for women. It's challenging for sure. I just started this one....but have had GREAT success with my other "Firm" programs!

I found a 10 minute Firm Express workout on youtube. That pushup/row combo at the halfway mark looks super challenging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBrV17XPIqk

(LOL, had to edit out jibberjabber typing from my pre-k'er.)
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meredithkrueger
    Options
    Jillian, Jillian, Jillian... I agree with the above. : D I am currently on week 3 of her Body Revolution and I have literally been sore for all 3 weeks. I can already feel the change in my body - much more muscle. It is challenging but only 30 minutes. Her "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" is very similiar to this series. Every 2 weeks you move to a harder workout and there are 15 DVD's that are rotated so you never get tired of the same old routine.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I used Leslie Sansone's Start! Walking videos when I first got started with doing more than wii fit, moved on to 30DS which I liked, but it's short. Jillian's No More Trouble Zones is my absolute favorite of hers, but I like the Banish Fat one as well. Right now I'm working through Les Mills Combat and it has been loads of fun, but it was kinda pricey.
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options

*Just bought the "You Are Your Own Gym" DVD series on Amazon a few minutes ago, looking forward to it! :)
  • mindovercakes
    mindovercakes Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    thedailyhiit.com
    lovingfit.com
    bodyripped.net
    angrytrainerfitness.com
    nerdfitness.com

go forth- sweat- and be fabulous

bump
  • margaretasid
    margaretasid Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Jillian, Jillian, Jillian... I agree with the above. : D I am currently on week 3 of her Body Revolution and I have literally been sore for all 3 weeks. I can already feel the change in my body - much more muscle. It is challenging but only 30 minutes. Her "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" is very similiar to this series. Every 2 weeks you move to a harder workout and there are 15 DVD's that are rotated so you never get tired of the same old routine.

Hi meredithkrueg. Ive got those dvds but struggling to find motivation. did you lose any weight? are your cloths any looser? looking for someone to kick my *kitten* ;)
  • JoyTH
    JoyTH Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just completed the 30 Day Shred and need to move onto different routines. Is Shred in 30 the best next place to go? The ones you are using are they similar to the 30 day shred, i.e. there is 3 min weights, 2 mins cardio, 1 min abs? Is there cardio?

Thanks,
    Joy
  • elysehunt
    elysehunt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I L-O-V-E Billy Blanks Tae-Bo videos. I know it is old school and it's been around forever, but he has great workouts that really work. You-Tube it, set your laptop where you can see it and go! I do know he also has a few videos at Wal-Mart for about $9. You will sweat so bad but it is worth it and you feel great in the end. I can actually see my ab muscles, and a big part of that is because of his videos.

Here is an example of a Tae-Bo video I did yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0VjItiDF3w I weigh 133.2 and burned over 400 calories by doing 43 minutes of this workout (kids woke up early from nap so I had to finish that last 10 min later in the day).

Anyway, no one ever talks about Billy Blanks anymore, but I was required to do his workouts in gym class thanks to an awesome teacher and I'm so glad she introduced him to me! :-) Good luck!

Many people love Jillian and I respect her, but her workouts are not for me. I bulk up so bad with her workouts and actually end up gaining a few pounds instead of losing. They are just not long enough and do not have the intense cardio that my body needs to shed pounds AND gain muscle at the same time.
  • MatthewandOliversMom
    Options
    Check out Jessica Smith's Fitness YouTube channel. I really like her as an instructor. She posts a lot of workouts that you can do in your living room, and she is working out right along with you in her living room. The best part is these workouts are free! She has indoor walking/cardio workouts, strength training, and yoga style workouts posted.

If you are looking to purchase workout DVDs, check out the Collage Video web site. They have hundreds of DVDs for sale, and you can preview each one before you buy. Users have posted reviews of the DVDs too. You can check out all of Jillian Michaels DVDs there and Jessica Smith has some good DVDs for sale that you can preview there as well.

Another idea is to go to your public library and check out some fitness DVDs there before you buy them to see you if like them.

I agree with everyone's positive posts about Jillian Michaels' workouts. They are excellent. I also like Bob Harper's DVDs, too.
  • Marion_
    Marion_ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You should really check out Fitness Blender (http://www.fitnessblender.com/), they have hundreds of workout videos for free and just released a new website on which you can search workouts by type/length/difficulty/number of calories burnt etc.
    The workouts are very effective and there is even one you can do with your kids :)
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

read plenty of good reviews on this. Basically just body weight exercise routines.

second this. I am loving his books. when I do workout videos I do walk away the pounds, insanity, some jillian michaels ones and I have a few I haven't tried yet.