HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH????

Options
I read some of the profiles on here and it seems that some ppl are weeee-bit obsessed with exercise. I exercise 6 days a week, sometimes 2 workouts a day. My workouts usually last 30-45 min each. I'm seeing workouts that are 2-3 hrs long, 10 mile walks to the point of blisters and just spending every free moment of the day working out. It just seems crazy. I can understand Olympic training or something, but I'm like WOW....

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people who do 2-3 hour workouts. I have 2 herniated discs in my spine, arthritis from my skull to my tailbone and in my knee and ankle, and asthma. Increasing intensity isn't an option to be able to get a higher calorie burn from shorter workouts, so increasing duration is my only option. Plus, you have to think about what you are burning from each type of exercise. Basic exercise physiology teaches that longer duration activities burn a higher percentage of stored body fat then shorter duration activities. So, for people wanting to burn stored body fat, longer duration but lower intensity workouts may be a better option.

I'm not saying that those are the reasons why everyone on here does long duration exercises, but that's my reasoning. Hopefully, it will help you understand why you see long exercise sessions for some people.
  • Peridotite
    Peridotite Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm with you. I work out a maximum of 6 times a week for about an hour or less. Gotta have time to live:drinker:
  • fun_mom
    fun_mom Posts: 54
    Options
    While I don't disagree with you, as I've been pretty bowled over by how much some people exercise too.....we can't judge. You and I may call it obsessed while those doing it may call it their boredom/stress busters or their "play" time or flat out their attempt to feel good when maybe other areas of their life may not feel good. There are so many reasons we do the things we do and everyone is motivated and moved by different things and different reasons. I just worry about me and let those around me be my motivation. Goodness knows when I see someone working out for hours and hours it usually helps me get off the couch and workout to the level that makes me feel good and comfortable! I think the answer to your how much is too much question is........it's too much if it doesn't make you feel good or creates issues with your relationships......beyond that.....its' all good!
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've definitely noticed the trend you mention... there are for sure people I am friends with here that I think "Whhaaa? Where does she find the time/energy?" but for me it's kind of just jealousy that they have the time and energy to workout so much. I'm going to agree with TrainingWithTonya - longer duration burns more stored fat. I happen to have lots of free time (non-physical disability = no job) so when I have the energy I do a long workout. Granted, due to my very poor fitness level that's usually only a hour to an hour and a half, but I could see building up to 2-3 hours someday. Part of my disability is depression, and sometimes I workout when my meds aren't quite cutting it.
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    I see that some. Not too many of the people on my list work out that much. I would love to have the drive and energy to do that. Maybe I am just lazy but by the time I do all the things I have to do in a day, I just do not have the time or energy!
  • succeedin2
    succeedin2 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great question: I agree with trainin with tony and fun mom, I don't think there really is a too much I think each person has different circumtances and goals. I do 5 days and have just started exercising twice in one day in fact I am going to do the elliptical for 30 mins tonight.. When I lived in Florida, I worked out sometimes 3 times a day sometimes sounds like a lot but I wanted to looks 15-20 lbs in just a few weeks and I did accomplish that . I walked/ran for 30 mins in the morning ran home grabbed my daughter dropped her off and then went to my personal trainer for an hour then off to work at least 4 days but the work outs were even on the weekends.

After work my personal trainer would give me homework. I was paying her so I did it and I went to the Gator Stadium and did the stairs that was really hard so I started doing the ramp but one day she had me to do 500 abs and I did it again I was paying her and others just cardio. Some maybe training for things Marathons or Tri's I did a 1/2 marathon and initially I started with the blisters got up to 10 miles I wish I used that site then I would have had more success. Others may do it because of a drive that is in them that they sat down for so long that now they want to do all that they are doing. Some might think we are doing too much twice in one day. I think we do need to motivate those that we do see with that drive I think when they reach there goals it will all balance out. At that point and only then will some realize that we are all beautifully and wonderfully made by God.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week, minimum of 1 hr, sometimes 2 if I double up on P90X or Insanity. I'm military and temporarily stationed away from home so right now so all there is for me to do is work, eat, sleep, school and workout. So yeah, my extra long workouts are to kill boredom.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I am one of those people who train a lot. I am training for a Half Iron man end of October. I am also training for the MS150 bike ride the first weekend in October and we did a 50 mile ride today. This took about 3 hours. We made 3 stops and were able to chat during the stops. So, I was actually riding about 2 hrs 30 min today. I got in a good workout and had a good time meeting some new people. I am a stay at home dad and these workouts give me a break from sitting at home.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ok just for me...I walk the dog every morning 30 minutes...I have a stationary bike at work, I'm a hairdresser and when I put someone under the dryer or have down time I'm on the bike with a magazine and then my real bike nearly every night cuz I love it so...it can probably look like I'm obsessed but I don't think I am lol.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people who train a lot. I am training for a Half Iron man end of October. I am also training for the MS150 bike ride the first weekend in October and we did a 50 mile ride today. This took about 3 hours. We made 3 stops and were able to chat during the stops. So, I was actually riding about 2 hrs 30 min today. I got in a good workout and had a good time meeting some new people. I am a stay at home dad and these workouts give me a break from sitting at home.

Me too! I'm a triathlete training for a half IM also and have very long workouts to keep up w/ the training! Somedays I'll burn well over 1,000 calories. But then other days I'll burn 400. I'm a SAHM and also a personal trainer/ Beachbody coach so I also look at fitness as my *job*. :bigsmile: As long as you are doing what you feel is right for you, then don't worry about anyone else. :wink:
  • sibyllewalker
    sibyllewalker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day that had a very high min amount for my workout, and then I realized that my workout and the yard work I logged where combined. There is no way I want to work out for 120mins, or what I saw today 360 mins. Got to have some time to live.:happy:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I pretty much get two hours of exercise 6 days/week, and on my 'rest day,' I still get an hour of walking in. I have 3 dogs, and dogs, like people, need exercise as well. In addition, I walk each of my dogs separately because I feel they need some 'alone and individual' time with their human. So, 25 minute walks for each = 75 minutes for me. On top of that, I'm doing a ChaLean Extreme/Turbo Fire hybrid. So, I strength train 3 days/week and do cardio 3 days/week between 40-60 minutes.

Many of my friends thing all I do is workout...two hours may seem extreme to many of them, but most of them do no exercise, so I guess 2 hours compared to 0 hours would seem like a lot. Every now and then my body does tell me it's time for a TRUE rest day, and I do honor it with one in which the pups have to chill in the house with me for the day.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I think there is a definitely a point where its too much.... but I guess it really depends on the person. I think I have been doing too much. I haven't been giving myself a day to rest, which I think is really important. Tomorrow I am going to take a rest. Just a light walk and that's it :) Good question, for sure.