JUST JOINED UP sad fat and fed up

Options
Just joined this group to try and loose the four stone i have put on over the last couple of years. i lost my mum some six weeks ago and found it hard to get my head around anything and found I have turned to food for comfort,,,,,wrong I know but it helped until now as feeling the pinch. I promised my mum I would finally loose my weight as she died of heart failure and renal failure due to diebetes so I know the risks i am taking and I too am a mother. Just need motivation and to stay on track hopefully this will help and save pounds by not joining sw or ww. I just joined a new gym near work too so no excuses too. :sad: :heart:

Replies

• 0nemoretry
    0nemoretry Posts: 7
    Options
    Hello,
    I have seem that this particular website seems to have great results (I am new also) and I hope that it will work for me too.
    Good luck!
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    First, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. It sounds like you loved her very much and that her health problems were your biggest inspiration for change. Your vow to her is admirable. You've taken the first step to major lifestyle changes, just as you've suffered a huge loss. You will need the support of your family and friends (and MFP friends!) :smile:

Second, welcome! I love this website and I just joined a few days ago. I applaud your efforts and wish you all the best. I find the food diary extremely beneficial. It really helps to see all that goes into my mouth during the course of a day. I was shocked to find that what I thought was healthy was not exactly that after all. You mean you can't live on coffee, yogurt , red wine and pistachios??? Ok I wasn't that bad...but close.

One last thing, remember to be kind to yourself. I watched a documentary called "Hungry for Change" on Netflix. It's fantastic, by the way, and very inspiring for those who want a healthier lifestyle. Anyway, at the end there is an affirmation that they suggest you post on your bedroom/bathroom mirror (which I did and it's still there 4 months later): "I accept myself unconditionally right now".
    If you say it to yourself every time you see it, you will get to a better state of mind. I've never been into that sort of stuff, but It does work!

Take care!
  • Shirlls123
    Shirlls123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about your mum :flowerforyou: . Well done on joining MFP, we are a friendly supportive bunch and it is a great site to use for losing weight and keeping the motivation going x
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your mum *hugs*

You have really found the most awesome site ever. The folks here are really supportive and honestly if I had not found MFP I probably would be another year fatter. You are in the right place girly xoxox
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Cheer up. You're here now! Feel free to add me. Welcome to MFP!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I lost my Mom last month! So sorry to hear about yours. Hang in there during this difficult time.
  • Andrea681
    Andrea681 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Also, so sorry to hear about your mom. :(
  • shutrbugz
    shutrbugz Posts: 28
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about the loss of your mum. I've lost both my parents and it's been many years now, but I still feel their loss very much. It sounds like you're ready to make those changes necessary to get to your goal and follow through on the promise you made to your mum.

I'm new to MFP and would welcome your friendship and look forward to reaching my goals alongside others who are here to befriend, help, and support.

Best wishes to you as you make your "weigh" down. :flowerforyou:
  • mpchaplin
    mpchaplin Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm sorry about your loss. I work in healthcare and it is definitely a motivator for me when I see such great people struggling and sometime battling for their lives against diabetes and heart failure. Welcome!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you would really benefit from watching the documentary "Hungry For Change". I highly recommend it. It's on Netflix.
  • celinarae94
    celinarae94 Posts: 131
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. I really hope you find this site helpful! There are a lot of supportive people on here! :flowerforyou: Best of luck with everything.
    And I agree with the "Hungry for Change" recommendation.
  • KarlDines
    KarlDines Posts: 5
    Options
    My Mum died 3 years ago. It gets easier. I started with three simple bits of advice to myself, (1) set yourself up with a calorie and exercise plan (2) don't lie to yourself (3) stick to points 1 and 2. It's a simple as that really and you'd be surprised at the results.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just joined this group to try and loose the four stone i have put on over the last couple of years. i lost my mum some six weeks ago and found it hard to get my head around anything and found I have turned to food for comfort,,,,,wrong I know but it helped until now as feeling the pinch. I promised my mum I would finally loose my weight as she died of heart failure and renal failure due to diebetes so I know the risks i am taking and I too am a mother. Just need motivation and to stay on track hopefully this will help and save pounds by not joining sw or ww. I just joined a new gym near work too so no excuses too. :sad: :heart:

You've come to the right place! I've been here just under a month and this site has already changed my life for the better. People are so supportive and the food diary helps you to learn about and monitor your food intake. The first thing to do is find out what your real Daily Calorie goal should be, as the MFP default settings can be quite inaccurate. If you go to the address below, fill out your details, find out your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and then calculate your TDEE minus 15% or 20%, then set your daily calorie goal to that number. The easiest thing, I think, is to click 'Little or no exercise' when using the TDEE calculator and then work out your daily calorie goal from the TDEE figure you get, then you can eat back any extra calories you earn from exercise (you can monitor your calorie burning with phone apps like runtastic or just by entering your exercise via the MFP database). I'm no expert, this is just what works for me so far.

You will do this! I'm so sorry about your mum.

All the best! :)

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html