Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Measuring ice cream/frozen yogurt

fruitloop2
fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
So, I'm noticing that on my frozen yogurt container it says 1/2 cup (125ml) is a serving. BUT...when I measure out 125ml is is MORE than 1/2 cup. So...which measurement do I go by...the 1/2 cup OR 125ml?

Oh please say 125ml...lol. I get to eat a crapload of frozen yogurt then :) mmmmmmm frozen yogurt. :smile:

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    So, I'm noticing that on my frozen yogurt container it says 1/2 cup (125ml) is a serving. BUT...when I measure out 125ml is is MORE than 1/2 cup. So...which measurement do I go by...the 1/2 cup OR 125ml?

Oh please say 125ml...lol. I get to eat a crapload of frozen yogurt then :) mmmmmmm frozen yogurt. :smile:
    125ml is 4.22 ounces--just slightly more than half a cup. If you're getting a crapload more, something's wrong. If I were you, I would get a scale--all the ice creams I eat give the weight for a serving, and that will be the most accurate.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    I weigh mine on a digital scale--there is always a serving weight in grams in addition to the volume measurement on ice-cream containers.

That said, they measure ice cream by volume when they sell it, not by weight. At least some manufacturers do. So if it's even slightly whipped, you might get fewer than 4 servings in a container if you weigh the stuff.

[I am looking at you, SoCo. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice--well, you can't be fooled again.]
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Food scale, set to grams, Measure that way
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

125ml is 4.22 ounces--just slightly more than half a cup. If you're getting a crapload more, something's wrong. If I were you, I would get a scale--all the ice creams I eat give the weight for a serving, and that will be the most accurate.
    125 ml is 1/2 cup where I come from (metric) and unfortunately they don't give the serving weight in grams (or ounces) just mls and cups.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    I agree with the those who mentioned getting a food scale.

I tend to weigh my foods in grams rather than ounces too for greater accuracy.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    b149NutritionalInfo(2).gif

Now what :laugh:
  • bumblebums
    b149NutritionalInfo(2).gif

Now what :laugh:

If you want to be really anal about it, you can figure out what the total volume of the container is (just fill it with water when it's empty, and use the information the next time you buy this brand). Then weigh the container, and figure out what the contents weigh and how many servings are in a container.

Or buy non-Canadian ice cream.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member

125 ml is 1/2 cup where I come from (metric) and unfortunately they don't give the serving weight in grams (or ounces) just mls and cups.
    So you should be fine. OP was getting significantly different amounts when trying to measure half a cup vs. 125ml.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

This. Unfortunately a serving of my ice cream is 100 grams or 1/2 cup, only 100 grams is less than half a cup. The weight is always going to be more accurate.
  • bumblebums

This. Unfortunately a serving of my ice cream is 100 grams or 1/2 cup, only 100 grams is less than half a cup. The weight is always going to be more accurate.

Not always--some manufacturers fill the container by volume, and there's some air in the mix. They shouldn't do it but it happens. I have been a tragic victim of ice cream fraud.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Not always--some manufacturers fill the container by volume, and there's some air in the mix. They shouldn't do it but it happens. I have been a tragic victim of ice cream fraud.

:laugh:

Well I'll still be going by grams, especially since it's less. Better to err on the side of caution.
  • And here I was just scooping the ice cream into a half cup measuring cup!
  • fruitloop2
    I do have a food scale...which is why I said when I measure out 125ml it seems like way more than 1/2 cup. I will try using grams tonight instead.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    I read somewhere that a serving of ice cream/frozen yogurt should look like the size of a tennis ball....
  • bumblebums
    I read somewhere that a serving of ice cream/frozen yogurt should look like the size of a tennis ball....

You know you have too much time on your hands when you take your dog's tennis ball and verify that it does indeed have the volume of 1/2 a cup. [Yes, I just did that. For science.]

You are absolutely right. A tennis ball is exactly 4 fluid ounces in volume.
  • fruitloop2
    Ok, I don't know what is with this frozen yogurt but I measured again in grams and it still is more than 1/2 cup. My scale measures fine for everything else but this damn frozen yogurt must be whipped or extra fluffy or something. I've been logging it as more just to be on the safe side but wtf?
  • tishawj
    tishawj Posts: 542 Member
    a ml is a unit of volume not weight
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member

You know you have too much time on your hands when you take your dog's tennis ball and verify that it does indeed have the volume of 1/2 a cup. [Yes, I just did that. For science.]

You are absolutely right. A tennis ball is exactly 4 fluid ounces in volume.
    :laugh: Love this. As a Canadian, eating American frozen yogurt (Breyers) , but with metric packaging (say, weren't you guys supposed to switch over, someday too?:laugh: ) the tennis ball measuring system solves my dilemma.
  • fruitloop2

I measured it to the 4.22 ounces as well...still looks like more than half a cup.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    I am having this exact problem. When I scoop and put it in a measuring cup then weigh it it says 80 grams. But then when I scoop it out and just put it in my bowl and weigh it it looks like so much.

So, because my packaging does not have weight how do I measure? What I mean is when I fill the cup do i pack it in a bit? Otherwise there is tons of air in the scoops. Or do I try to take out a chunk without scooping? Once I know how to measure that way I will measure with scales so I can be accurate each time.

80 grams seems high, well considering I like 2 servings lol. But here some people are saying it should be like 100 grams, that would be huge IMO.