Suggestions for a Half Marathon

Options
I signed up with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training to do my first half marathon in Disney on January 8, 2011. I am very new to this marathon stuff and was wondering if anyone has any advice...from shoes and socks to crossing the finish line. Thank you in advance :smile:

Replies

• Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What's your current fitness level? Are you a runner?
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! I am on my 3rd event with TEAM IN TRAINING and you are going to love it!!! Please use your mentor and coach=they will help you so much. They truly believe any question is a good question and want to help you as much as they can. Please feel free to email me and I will help also. You are beginning an amazing journey that will give you so many rewards at the end!!! It is all totally worth it!! :)
  • kristykritter
    Options
    That's awesome. We do the Light the Night walks. My dad is a lymphoma survivor, so I appreciate you helping the cause! I only did 5K & 10K's in the past, and my best advice is MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD SHOES AND BREAK THEM IN BEFORE THE RACE! I love Asic brand. I buy the high end ones, over $100, but your feet will thank you! Also remember that you should replace them every 300-400 miles or so. I love them.
  • Triguy83
    Triguy83 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1. Congrats on signing up for the disney 1/2.
    2. shoes vary depending on what you are looking for. Myself as a triathlete i have 4 pairs of shoes 2 racing and 2 training.
    i have shoes that are strictly racing flats - lightweight, neutral, little to no cushioning more for sprint to 1/2 ironman.
    and Newtons which are for 1/2 ironman to full ironman provide me with more cushioning and are a little heavier but not by much.
    3. find a good running store like a good mom and pop style store that specializes in running and triathlons these are the people who want to make sure that you get the right shoe unlike a footlocker or big chain store who just want your $$
    4. how long have you been running
    5. how many miles do you avg a week
    6. what is your pace per mile
    7. a heart rate monitor is essential not only for caloric monitoring, but your training zones so you can monitor your bmp.
    8. set a goal. whether its to loose a certain amount of body fat and or weight before the 13.1 race. or finish under a certain time.
    9. have fun. for your first 1/2 enjoy the moment and run your own race. its not you vs the next age grouper its you vs the clock.

if you have any other questions feel free to hit me up.
  • jlayney
    jlayney Posts: 22
    Options
    i really like Balega and Smartwool socks. They wick away sweat and keep your feet dry to prevent blisters. Balega socks are also cushiony and they dont' squeeze my feet tightly (which some brands do to me, like Feetures). Trying out Wright Brand-they have two layers of fabric so they rub against each other instead of the sock against your skin. Still deciding on those.

For shoes-you need to go into a running store and have the employees there watch you walk/jog, bring your old shoes, they can look at the wear pattern on the bottom of your sole to see if you pronate.

I am training for a half also, mine is coming up in December. :)

J'Layne
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! I just completed to 1/2 marathons in may and july. It's exciting i promise.

1. SHOES - Go to a local running store not some box store like scheels or ****s oh whatever you have near you and get fitted for proper running shoes that go with the way you run. I have a normal pronate so I like my Nike Structure 13's. I have had three pair of them since I started training for my first 1/2. Only put on 350-500 miles per shoe then get new ones.

2. Training schedule I don't know if you have one or who you are training with, but I used marathonrookie.com there is also Hal Hidgons, who has a great one also Runnersworld.com is full of tips and what nots.

Other then that HAVE FUN! Train with friends/family and just have a great time. During the race don't forget to take in every single moment, because it goes fast.

Good Luck We are all so proud of you!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    BTW if you gain some weight don't be too surprised it happens to a lot of people who train for marathons and 1/2 marathons.... i gained all my weight back when I did my first 1/2, because I was building a lot of muscle (and eating a lot more) but now that i have settled back down I am slowly losing again.

It's also VERY important to weight train. You are giong to need very strong hips, knees, glutes, back, quads, and core in order to keep the endurance and attempt to stay injury free. I do leg weight training twice a week and crosstrain. I noticed a big difference in my current marathon training then in my first 1/2 as I wasn't lifting enough. Keep in mind it's lower weights and higher repititions.

any other questions feel free to ask!
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Shoes are key to making sure that you have the right support. Like triguy said go to a store that specializes in running instead of a big chain store. Also, make sure when you start to get up in mileage that you're feuling your body every 45 minutes or so with GU Chomps, a gel or some kind of supplement that works best for you. This will be critical to keep your energy to go the distance. I was not a runner until last year when I started training for my 1st triathlon, after that I decided to do a 1/2 marathon which I did in January. I was supposed to do my 2nd in May but found out shortly before that I had a stress fracture that I had been running with, trying to run through it which brings me to my next piece of advice....listen to your body!! Because I hadn't I was out from running for 2 months. Also, make sure that you are cross training. Good Luck to you, you will have a blast and there's nothing like the feeling that you'll have when you cross the finish line.
  • MEAGLE1012
    Options
    Am I a runner?...haha, not so much! However, some people that I have talked to that are runners now never used to run before. I am going to give my all every time though...so perhaps, one day, I'll be able to say "I'm a runner." I'm a run/walk kinda girl at the moment :smile:
  • MEAGLE1012
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the advice! I am so grateful :happy: I am really looking forward to all of the challenges I am going to face, but more than that, I am looking forward to working with TNT. To all of you who have done a full/half marathon, triathlon, and 5K or 10K...Congrats! I really appreciate all of the encouragement :smile: My Grandpa lost his battle with non-Hodgkin lymphoma, so I am doing this half in memory of him. I will also be doing this for a local honored hero. I am so excited to embark on this journey and I will embrace every moment during this time. If I have anymore questions, I will be sure to ask. I appreciate your suggestions and support!