Officially frustrated. Need advice!

Options
I have been counting calories and working out with Turbo fire, bike riding, walking, lifting, Slim in 6 for almost 6 weeks now. I have not followed one program exactly, but done a combo of those listed so that I am working different muscles and just keeping it interesting and not getting burned out on anything.

Now, my first 3 weeks I was eating around 1200 calories a day, pretty healthy, and I lost two pounds. That's it. I knew that was too little calories to consume so I uped the calories to my TDEE which is between 1600 and 1800 and ate pretty healthy for a couple of weeks. The scale went up and down gaining and losing the same two to four pounds. Then I got frustrated and have eaten at around 2200 to 2300 calories all while still working out hard.

Now the scale says 1 pound lost from my original start weight AND no inches have been lost. WTF!!!! COME ON!!! I will say that the past few days have been "that time of the month" and I have been so frustrated that I just kinda needed a break and I have eaten crappy. But seriously, I should at least be down 5 pounds by now or have at least lost some inches. NOTHING. I will say that, according to my Aria scale, I started at 39% body fat and now it says 38.7% body fat. That number is the only number budging. But why aren't my measurements changing if I am losing fat and gaining muscle? Where is my sweet spot for losing weight?

I've had thyroid checked, hormones checked (which were a little off). I am 5'3" and 167. 32 years. With a 3 year old and a 9 month old. I've lost weight in the past and I see people losing weight fast with calorie counting, clean eating and cardio and lifting. What do I need to try now? Thoughts? I am pretty bummed. :(

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that we women often gain up to 5 pounds of water weight during that time of the month, which would also account for no inches lost. You might want to wait another week before you get on the scale again.
  • jenpcooper
    jenpcooper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That could be part of it. I also had an IUD "installed" LOL about a week and a half ago. I hope that I am one of the lucky ones not to have many side effects from it like bloating or weight gain. I just thought I would have at LEAST seen inches lost and clothes looser by now. Everyone likes to see the scale drop. I just need a good drop in my weight to keep me modivated. :(
  • mrsmjs03
    mrsmjs03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i think i am in the same boat as you :) i'm 5'1, 176 lbs and i have a 4 year old. i have been working out 5 days a week and eating 1200 calories a day for 4 months and i've only lost about 10 lbs. it took forever to lose anything and i feel like it should be more. I just keep telling myself i didn't put it on in a few weeks so its not gonna come off that fast either. The only thing i have left to tweek is my sugar and sodium intake, see if that helps. but, you're doing a good thing, so keep with it. even if you don't see it, your inside is healthier. Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    When you say you switched to TDEE do you mean you switched to TDEE-20% or to your actual TDEE (which would be maintenance)? Are you using a food scale?

ETA: I also agree with the likelihood of water retention related to your cycle.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that we women often gain up to 5 pounds of water weight during that time of the month, which would also account for no inches lost. You might want to wait another week before you get on the scale again.

i agreewith this. I typically add 6 pounds for the entire week before and a few days after.
  • smb1186
    smb1186 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would be wary of the IUD, mine made it impossible to lose weight. I worked out for two months and was gaining a pound a week for two months. Got the IUD out and lost 10lbs in water weight in a week. You may just have some initial bloat but if you find the weight not budging the IUD may be playing a role. Best decision I ever made getting it out and going back on the pill. I also had awful mood swings and developed acne on my chest and back, total nightmare.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have been counting calories and working out with Turbo fire, bike riding, walking, lifting, Slim in 6 for almost 6 weeks now. I have not followed one program exactly, but done a combo of those listed so that I am working different muscles and just keeping it interesting and not getting burned out on anything.

Now, my first 3 weeks I was eating around 1200 calories a day, pretty healthy, and I lost two pounds. That's it. I knew that was too little calories to consume so I uped the calories to my TDEE which is between 1600 and 1800 and ate pretty healthy for a couple of weeks. The scale went up and down gaining and losing the same two to four pounds. Then I got frustrated and have eaten at around 2200 to 2300 calories all while still working out hard.

Now the scale says 1 pound lost from my original start weight AND no inches have been lost. WTF!!!! COME ON!!! I will say that the past few days have been "that time of the month" and I have been so frustrated that I just kinda needed a break and I have eaten crappy. But seriously, I should at least be down 5 pounds by now or have at least lost some inches. NOTHING. I will say that, according to my Aria scale, I started at 39% body fat and now it says 38.7% body fat. That number is the only number budging. But why aren't my measurements changing if I am losing fat and gaining muscle? Where is my sweet spot for losing weight?

I've had thyroid checked, hormones checked (which were a little off). I am 5'3" and 167. 32 years. With a 3 year old and a 9 month old. I've lost weight in the past and I see people losing weight fast with calorie counting, clean eating and cardio and lifting. What do I need to try now? Thoughts? I am pretty bummed. :(

THis is the culprit, weigh yourself again in a few days after the mayhem is over and I think you will see you've lost your original loss and then some, at least that's how it goes for me. I never weigh at that time for this reason.

Also, i weigh quite infrequently as it keeps me from going bonkers from the 2lbs up:sick: , 1 lb down:bigsmile: , 1 lb up:noway: , 3 lbs down:brokenheart: , madness. By the time i weigh again, it's a clear change.

p.s. BTW I am almost your height, just shy by 1/4 inch but don't talk down to me cause when I straighten my spine and get in anyone's face they will think I'm 4 inches taller than them. Have a great day, from one shorty to another, YOU CAN DO IT!:flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    You're working hard and on the right track, but it took time to gain the weight and it will take time to come off. You'll have to keep at it for quite a while to see results. Jumping your calorie intake all over the place seems to be a result of frustration. You should pick a strategy and stick with it for a month or two before deciding it doesn't work. I've lost a lot of weight since I started, but it doesn't come off fast or steadily. Work, work, work, lose. Work, lose. Work, work, work, work, work, work, lose. . .

I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make. Good luck.