Want a HRM... Need help :)

Options
20 Years old 220lb 6"4' Moderate Active

I'm looking for a HRM. I heard polar are really good.

What should I get, and what should I be looking for in a HRM???

Replies

• Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap one (you get what you pay for). Mine loses signal when I lay down or when I work out to my DVD on the TV.

Next one I will get
    keeps track of heart rate average , and highest HR during work out. I use mine for hiking or walking. But not much good for working out to TV.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Polar is a very popular HRM. Use the search feature here on the boards and you'll find countless threads about them. Also check Amazon and read the reviews there on the various Polar models, as well as other HRMs - lots of good info there too.

I have a New Balance N4 - works great and does what I need it to do - tracks time and calorie burn of my workouts, the chest strap monitors my heart rate the whole time, and it's easy to use. Some other models have more bells and whistles on them, but you basically want to be able to enter your personal info - gender, height, weight, age, etc - the more info you can give it, the better it will be for ya.

If you're just looking for something to track during your workouts, start with those two models and do some research. If you want an all day wear type of thing, that tracks your activity all day long, you need to look into something like a FitBit or a Body Bugg.
  • najlaamundson
    najlaamundson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar about 2 months ago and I love it!

What to look for? Depends on what you want to use it for. I wanted one to measure my heart rate so I would have an accurate reading of the calories I was burning during a workout. This is perfect - and it does a lot of other things that are really useful.

I chose it after talking to someone at a local and highly regarded sporting goods store. Go to one of those and ask to speak to an associate who knows something about them. They will walk you through all the options and help you choose the right one.

Hope this helps!
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love my polarft40. Works great, tracks data.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have had a Polar for the last year or so... it's fabulous. :smile:
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone go with one that will worth with the phone. Then you get all the benefits of easy integration with MFP and other sites. I have a Wahoo Blue for my iPhone and it's fantastic!
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4. I've had it for over a year and never had a problem. It tracks everything I need it to, easy to use, chest strap is not uncomfortable.
  • JordanK7593
    JordanK7593 Posts: 47
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your support. There are some for $500 WAT!!! Like AmyRhubarb was saying, I'd like something that tracks I can enter my age, gender, weight, height etc and give me ACURATE readings.

Are they practically all the same?? I don't want to spend 500, probably $200 MAX.

There are so many types I have no idea! :P
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no idea about that one.

I've got a polar ft7 and I'm pretty happy with it. I bought it off ebay. It was about $100.
  • QueenGyn
    QueenGyn Posts: 106
    Options
    BUMP

Need help in choosing HRM as well.