lower leg pain when walking-help!

Options
so Because im so overweight now, iv been trying to obviously diet and exercise. The last two times iv tried to briskly walk for half an hour, iv noticed a painful leg pain on my lower leg. From what i researched it sounds like it could be shin splits. It burns and aches so much I have to stop walking. It will just happen suddenly.I can rest for about 10 or so min it goes away. If it is shin spits. what can I do? I gotta exercise to lose weight and this is holding me back

Replies

• SunflowerRox
    SunflowerRox Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kendallsauntie
    kendallsauntie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching before you start your walk? That may help. Also try working up to walking an hour and see if that helps with your shin splint problem. I get them when I run and don't stretch before hand and I really got them badly when I would run until my body said enough.
  • auburnlady78
    auburnlady78 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi there is a few things it could be. 1 it could be your shoes 2 it could be you need to stretch more. When you start the walk remember to start slow let the muscles warm up. Then pick up your pace as you get into the second lap...

Hope this helps you out...:flowerforyou:
    Good luck..
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are wearing good shoes, warm up first, stretch after you run--entire lower body, including a bent knee calf stretch (you can google images of that if you need to). You can ice them after as well
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    There are other exercises besides walking. Maybe look into yoga - home program, adult school at a local high school, yoga center, exercise channel on tv, video from the library. The scientific 7 minute workout. stationary bike. Many others that may be lower impact on your legs. You might also consider breaking the walking up: three 10 minute walks instead of one 30 minute walk, and then build up to longer periods with shorter breaks between.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've had shin splints and got rid of them, so hopefully this advice will help you out.

First - about the shoes. For me personally, I found getting good running shoes worked best for walking and running. I would recommend that you go to a good running shoe store and talk to them about your problem. Let them fit you with the right shoe. If you choose a good store, they usually know what they're talking about. Don't cheap out on shoes. Spend the money, it's really worth it.

Second - a good stretch. Sit on your butt on the floor without shoes. Put a towel around the upper, bottom of your foot and grab each end with your hands. Straighten your leg and lift it off the ground as you hold the towel. As you go higher, you'll feel the stretch in your hamstring and calves. Point your toe as you hold on the towel to offer light resistance, then pull on the towel and relax your leg so your toe points back toward you. As you loosen up and it becomes easier, lift your leg higher and repeat. Then do the other leg.

Third - icing. As I've gotten older I ice the crap out of anything that hurts. It really works. For shinsplints, I took an ice cube and ran it up and down my leg right where it hurt - on either side of the bone. Obviously you don't want to get frostbite or anything, so keep the ice cube moving. You'll need a towel as the ice cube melts and gets messy. I usually just do this outside.

Most important, DO NOT let this stop your progress! If you have to rest as you heal, do the elliptical or stationary bike. If you absolutely can't workout on a day, adjust your calories appropriately. You can lose weight without working out - it's harder, but you can still do it, especially if you have a lot to lose.

Shinsplints are the kind of injury that can totally derail you and leave you feeling sorry for yourself. DO NOT allow this to happen. If you're patient, you can heal up and keep moving forward toward a much healthier, happier you.