New tip

Options
So I have a new strategy I use sometimes. But I want to preface that I am not suggesting that I haven't gradually improved my nutrition and committed to daily exercise just because I have this new trick I'm using. I'm all about the healthy lifestyle changes and not using bizarre or extreme crash diets or crazy severe methods of losing weight. I know health is about more than a number on the scale.

That was a preface, because I want to avoid people getting the wrong idea about this one little thing I started doing this week. I'm a near vegetarian, I usually eat about 1,600 calories a day, and I get in a good walk at least 6 days a week. That being said. . .

I discovered a good trick for avoiding over-eating after I have eaten a good size meal and should probably stop to avoid mindless snacking. I go to my bathroom and rinse my mouth out with mouth wash. I only do this after I have eaten plenty of calories and want to "turn off" the impulse to eat more than I should. A short rinse and then it kind of creates a mouth sensation that food probably wouldn't taste so good after a mouthwash.

I also have periodontal disease, so this is probably a good thing for me. As long as I don't overdo it. Lately I've only done this about once or twice a day. I had a bunch of mouthwash I wasn't using. I brush 2x a day and floss at the end of the day. But my dentist isn't being very proactive about my periodontal disease.

Instead of doing the treatment that would probably fix it with a few months, he insists on having constant 3 month visits that are resulting in $110 copays every third month. He doesn't seem to understand how insurance actually works, because after the second visit of the year my insurance company essentially leaves me with 100% of the bills because I am "going too frequently". So instead of the 2 week treatment that would take care of the periodontal disease, my dentist refuses to do it and instead thinks we can beat this (as in me) by cleaning the teeth in a check-up 4x a year. My last dentist in Iowa City also insisted that if I brushed my gums for 2 months that the periodontal disease would go away. He was wrong, and his instructions left me with receding gum lines (because he did not stress that I needed to brush my gums *softly*. The result of this two month suggestion was permanent damage to my gums completely unrelated to the disease and totally a result of the brushing habits that were suggested to me.

Replies

• crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Perio disease will never go away-ever. The reason for the 3 month cleanings is to maintain and prevent further bone loss and the progression of the disease. Most insurances will cover s periodontal cleaning 4 times a year after the scaling and root planing has been completed at 80%. Some don't but it is worth the out of pocket cost to keep your teeth and avoid full dentures!!! Trust me that is something you don't want. Sounds like you have learned good home hygiene care With the daily flossing. I of course work in the dental field and would be happy to answer any questions you may have !
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I often brush my teeth after dinner for the same reason-- cuts down on evening snacking!
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Perio disease will never go away-ever. The reason for the 3 month cleanings is to maintain and prevent further bone loss and the progression of the disease. Most insurances will cover s periodontal cleaning 4 times a year after the scaling and root planing has been completed at 80%. Some don't but it is worth the out of pocket cost to keep your teeth and avoid full dentures!!! Trust me that is something you don't want. Sounds like you have learned good home hygiene care With the daily flossing. I of course work in the dental field and would be happy to answer any questions you may have !

Thanks for the info. I may take you up on that offer sometime! My current insurance plan really sucks. My provider will only pay for 50% of the bill up to $1,000 per year. But then after 2 visits per year they figure I should pay 100%. Plus they have like a $100 deductible at the beginning of the year. So really, they are pretty clever at minimizing their coverage so that they only help out for like $400 of bills and leave me with the rest.

I will just have to look at the 3 month visits from a more positive light. It doesn't help that my Iowa City dentist was convinced that if I brushed my gums directly that the periodontal disease would go away. My gums receded, and without a graph surgery (cadaver skin or baby foreskins), it can't be fixed. It would also be expensive, so I can't afford that right now. The gum issue causes sensitivity to hot and cold food. So I have learned to chew almost everything on the left side of my mouth. I like apples, but I refrigerate them so they keep longer, and the simple thing of eating an apple is now somewhat of a challenge.
  • crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Make sure the dental office is coding the procedure correctly. Slot of times the insurance will pay alternating prophy and perio cleanings. Each insurance is different it is true they don't want to pay on things after all they are a business and want to keep their money to make a profit. I've actually had to have the patient contact the insurance for payment on a needed procedure! Just remember you are their customer and may be more apt to discuss things with you instead of us ( who only wants their money in their eyes). I accepted you as a friend so any questions just ask!