weight loss and body temperature

Options
Hey Everyone,

I noticed that over the last couple months I am colder than I ever been. I know I lost a lot of weight, but its not like i lost it all in the last couple of months. My question is eventually will my body adjust or do I need to get used to being cold a lot?

Thanks!

Replies

• Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    make sure your getting enough iron...also if it gets worse have your thyroid levels checked.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I am a lot less cold-tolerant since I lost weight as well.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    No, you'll be cold forever. Get an electric blanket. I eat over 2000 calories every day and am freezing every evening. Everything is normal with my thyroid etc.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It stands to reason because fat is an excellent insulator. Even though I'm down only 48 pounds, it's enough to feel cold on a chilly day. I think the body will adjust - it may take time though. The upshot is hot summers won't feel as oppressive.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You lost insulation, get used to it.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Easy--you've lost some of your blubber :) So have I, and I noticed I am more sensitive to the cold now. On the bright side, I am hoping the heat won't bother me as much as it used to.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You lost insulation, get used to it.

Yep. My space heater at work is my best friend.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I too am cold all the time but I find that if I have a good workout, I warm up nicely for a couple hours.
  • luvriden
    luvriden Posts: 52
    Options
    A friend told me that you loose "a sweater" for every 10 pounds. So the more you loose the more sweaters you have to put on :-)
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I lost a lot of weight (60 pounds) several years ago I was constantly chilly. I gained back all the weight plus and I still am prone to chills so when I lose all the weight again who knows what will happen.
  • browneyes97
    browneyes97 Posts: 98
    Options
    I am cold all the time. It can be 70 in my house and I'll reach for a blanket.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Just another reason to cut during the summer and bulk in the winter
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 11 pounds and I'm freeeeezing all the time!
  • Ron6098
    Ron6098 Posts: 31
    Options
    If you can handle it, try cayenne on your food or steep a tsp in a cup of boiling water.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Yep I've only lost about 13lbs and I'm freezing all the time. It's not even winter yet down here and I'm dreading it
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yep I'm a cold frog now.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    WOW.......................

0 Comments

Print

Nov 24, 2010 | By Christine Garvin

Photo Credit cold image by nici.cat from Fotolia.com
    Weight loss is often welcomed as a good thing by most people. But when coldness comes along with weight loss, it may be a sign of something more distressing going on in the body. Both body temperature and weight are regulated by the thyroid gland, which is located in the neck just below the Adam's apple. The two symptoms together may indicate a change in thyroid function. If you experience these symptoms, work with a doctor to determine whether a thyroid hormone imbalance is the underlying cause.

Significance

Feeling cold during or after losing weight may be a sign of thyroid issues. One symptom of lowered thyroid function, or hypothyroidism, is coldness, particularly in the hands and feet. Also, calorie restriction may cause metabolism, which is overseen by the thyroid, to slow down, according to the book "The Thyroid Diet: Manage Your Metabolism for Lasting Weight Loss" by Mary J. Shomon. The human body has evolved to decrease metabolism when fewer calories are consumed; humans developed this response out of the need to conserve energy during times of famine. Excessive calorie restriction for weight loss purposes can therefore diminish thyroid function.

advertisement

Sponsored Links

Loose 21.83 lbs per month Fast, Safe & Lasting Weight loss Metabolizes Fat & curbs appetite... www.biogetica.com/NaturalWeightLoss

Function

In addition to keeping the temperature in the body at normal levels, the thyroid oversees many other body functions. The thyroid is linked to metabolism, digestion, regulation of hormones including estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone, and the health of skin, hair, and nails. Brain function is also dependent on the thyroid.

When it comes to weight fluctuations and coldness, lowered thyroid function is often the culprit. Yet, weight gain and cold extremities tend to be more common with hypothyroidism, while weight loss and excessive sweating are linked with hyperthyroidism, or an overactive thyroid. Still, it is possible to experience diminished thyroid function and to lose weight.

Prevention/Solution

There are several ways to prevent or stop coldness from occurring with weight loss and diminished thyroid function. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center website, to help with sensitivity to cold and hypothyroidism, make sure you eat enough foods high in B vitamins and iron, and avoid foods that interfere with thyroid function, such broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, and soybeans. They also recommend supplementing with omega-3 fatty acids. Glenn S. Rothfeld, in his book, "Thyroid Balance," notes that eating foods that are high in iodine, such as fish and sea vegetables, can help the thyroid. He adds it is important to eat enough protein and foods that are high in vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta carotene, along with the minerals zinc, calcium, and selenium.

Also, exercise plays an important role in both thyroid function and as a way of naturally heating the body.

Time Frame

Depending on your current thyroid function, it may take several weeks to months for your symptoms to resolve. In some instances, adding supplements such as L-tyrosine or thyroid medication may be necessary to stabilize the thyroid, which will increase body temperature over time, according to Mary J. Shomon in her book "Living Well With Hypothyroidism." L-tyrosine is an amino acid that is one component of the thyroid hormone, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. If weight loss and coldness continues beyond a couple of weeks, see a doctor for thyroid testing.

Considerations

It is very important to establish if the thyroid is currently working properly. Your doctor can perform blood tests to determine thyroid levels. If you have other symptoms such as dry and brittle hair and nails, lethargy, and brain fog, see your doctor immediately.

Coldness and weight loss may be signs of other diseases, so it is important to work with a practitioner to determine why you are experiencing these symptoms.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/316768-losing-weight-feeling-cold/#ixzz2TQfb0oIe
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have always been cold-natured but yes it definitely gets worse when you lose weight. Not as much insulation as you used to have! And it's not my thyroid, I have it checked every year and it's normal. You just have to learn how to wear warmer clothes (I am still wearing long sleeve shirts when everyone else is wearing a t-shirt) drink more warm drinks such as hot tea, shut off all the vents in the car that are blowing icy air on you, figure out where the warmest places to sit are in restaurants, etc. I CANNOT STAND cold air blowing on me. Take a sweater with you everywhere you go - you'll need it.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone! I've lost 16 lbs since early March and I'm still wearing warm winter clothes! I used to be the one dying of heat at the office and now I'm always freezing. And now that it is warmer my husband cranks the AC in the house, I need slippers and its 85 degrees outside! Weird.....