Fresh Fruit & Veggie Preservation

Options
shanniepk
shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
I've been buying a lot of fruit, but lately some of my strawberries go bad before I can use them. I buy them in the large containers 2 for x$ at Publix because it's a lot better deal than just buying one, but some of them go to waste. How do you to preserve or extend the freshness of your fruits and/or veggies. Suggestions?

Replies

• I think if the container is big and the strawberries are touching each other it is a problem. They go moldy pretty quick. Similar to oranges when left in the bag. As soon as you empty half of the first box try taking some out of the new one and putting in the one that is half empty. It seems to help me anyway.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I find strawberries are one of the worst things for going off quickly. Keeping them in tupperware with paper towel helps a bit. Also you can freeze them (for later use in smoothies or similar).
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wash them, take off the stem, and slice them into a glass bowl.
    Then I drizzle a bit of agave syrup or maple syrup over the top, stir well, cover, and refrigerate.
    They keep much better this way than in the original packaging as whole berries.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! I am going to try them all:smile: !