weigh in frequency

I am thinking about not weighing in for a month. I think it may help me to work harder and make me stop stressing over little fluctuations. Does anyone do this? I'm wondering if it will motivate me more or if it will cause me to not do as well because I'm not checking in to make sure what I am doing is working or if I need to adjust calories.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I use to be all about the numbers and was up til I had my body lift in September.. Because of all the swelling and basically not being mobile for a few weeks I had to stay off the scale. It was a little rough at first but the longer I was off the scale the more I realized I did not need to obsess over the it, so now I weigh in once a month... been working out great so far.. Best of Luck...
  • thanks! and congrats on your amazing weight loss!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    It can be motivating if you weigh after a month and lost several pounds, however, what happens if you step on the scale and weigh the same??
    I am currently on 3 weeks of weighing the same (in fact saw a 'gain' of 0.2 pounds last weigh in), and certainly not holding my breath for this friday's weigh in (I weigh every day but only record fridays), so I think if I worked out hard for a month and expected a big loss and was stuck at the same weight it would be worse, than knowing each week that the scale isn't moving. I also do measurements and have lost a touch there.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Yup, doing "no weigh may" right now.
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    My mom challenged me to not weigh-in for 60 days, and just take body measurements every 15. Giving it a shot.
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    I honestly don't think I could stay off a scale that long, it would just cause me a crazy amount of unneeded anxiety.
    I weigh myself almost daily but log weekly.
  • slendercurves
    slendercurves Posts: 49 Member
    I haven't been on this lifestyle change for long (just 6 weeks), but weighing in weekly keeps me motivated. I'd be disappointed to go a month and find that I hadn't lost as much as expected.

Sometimes I weigh myself midweek to see how I'm doing, but I only count the Sunday weigh-ins. If I see midweek that I haven't budged at all, then I have a few extra days to make some change happen.

Maybe eventually I'll get tired of the weekly weigh-in and opt for a monthly just for variety (or if my weight loss comes to a standstill but my measurements are changing).
  • im finding that my loss on the scales is going nowhere and it brings me down a little the last few weeks every time I hop on the scales after training my *kitten* off and NOTHING!!! so im turning to measurements every two weeks, i think to see a change in that will help keep up my motivation levels :-)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    I weigh every week but I only LOG once a month. The day after TOM finishes. That's when I'm retaining the least water and FEELING pretty skinny and awesome, so as long as I show a loss or the same weight then, I'm all good.

Measuring progress by tape measure and how your clothes fit is another great tool... I have lost 10lbs since January BUT I'm down two-and-a-bit jean sizes.
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    My rule of thumb is every 4 to 5 weeks unless I am doing a challenge that requires that I weigh more frequently.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    dont do it. u will definetly be discouraged
    weighin once a week the same day eevery week and weigh in in the morning
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    A Healthy Weight Loss

A healthy weight loss is 1 to 2 lbs. per week. A slow steady weight loss is a lasting weight loss because you need to make lifestyle changes in order to keep up your progress. Fast weight loss is usually the result of extreme measures that can be difficult to maintain. A weekly weight-loss goal will help you stay on track to reaching your ideal weight.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/398125-how-often-should-you-weigh-yourself-when-dieting/#ixzz2TQe1TdcV
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    I was getting OCD about the scale, so its only Saturday AM. That usually means I have had six great days of MFP in a calorie deficit. Sunday is a day to NOT workout, so I may reach my 1700 calorie limit.
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Just a cool article about weighing frequency and factors...

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
  • MsipiGRITS
    MsipiGRITS Posts: 128 Member
    If you are addicted to your scales and the thought of not weighing more frequently freaks you out or you are just tired of feeling like a slave to your scale... Here's a little tip from some PhDs regarding our love/hate relationship with our scales. If you are addicted to your scale and are compelled to weigh daily (mememememe), a good rule of thumb is to first weigh at the same time of day and under the same circumstances (e.g. w/o pjs after morning potty break... haha) then average all of those daily weights and use that as your weekly 'true' weight, as your weight WILL fluctuate daily due to many factors. Then, you can average your weekly 'true' weights and see what your monthly weight is.... This is a more accurate picture of where you are over time... It also takes some of the stress out of the fluctuations you might see daily so you don't obsess over it.... Just MHO, so always check it out for yourself! :o)