More calories... less fat

Options
I have noticed that my calorie intake has been extremely low (like less then 1200) when I am able to take in around 1500 a day. I dont want to go into starvation mode, but dont want to go over my fat intake limit either. Are there any suggestions on foods with more calories and less fat?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat enough protein (ideally 1g per pound of lean body mass but 1g per kg of body weight is acceptable) being over on fat is fine. Fats and protein should be viewed as minimum values so it's fine to go over. Carbs are unnecessary so you don't have to worry about eating enough. Some people do low carb, some people find their exercise suffers if they keep carbs too low, do what works for you.

What's important about fats is the ratio of saturated vs. monounsaturated vs. polyunsaturated fats. Saturated fat has been demonized in the past but some is necessary. Half of your cells membranes are made up of by saturated fats. Saturated fats are easy to get in your diet so try to focus on incorporating more essential fatty acids into your diet. Oily fish and flax seeds are a great source of omega 3 EFA's. You can take a fish oil or flax oil supplement if you have trouble getting it from your diet. Omega 6's are very easy to get into your diet so there's not need to supplement it. Most people eat too many omega 6's and too little omega 3's so to maintain a good ratio you shouldn't supplement your omega 6 intake.

For information of setting your macro target, go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • jenniferlvega
    Options
    Thank you... thats helps greatly.
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    that's some great info by justsomerandomgirl. I would up my protein as well; adding good fats (almonds, flaxseed oil, avocado, olive oil) and also Fiber. Fiber is a carb however your body doesn't digest fiber it just passes through. However when passing through fiber soaks up other cells, such as fats. Fiber helps when managing appetite and weight loss. Avocado has good fiber, protein and fats. Green Apples and Chia seeds also good fibers.