NO FOOD MAKES YOU FAT!

Options

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    It's not even about what works for me. Look around you. Look at other countries, for instance. Asians consume the highest quantities of white rice in the world. The French have some of the richest cuisines in the world. it's nearly impossible to find anything "low fat" or "low carb" in a French market. But yet both countries have the lowest obesity rates in the world. Can you explain why that is? No other country is as obsessed with calories and dieting as we are, yet we struggle the most with our weights. There's a reason for that. The prior two countries value eating as an experience, and listen to their bodies, knowing when to start eating and when to stop. Americans, according to studies and polls and just by making observations in our everyday lives, typically do not do those things. We have many attachments to food that have nothing to do with hunger & nourishing our bodies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    CONCLUSION:
    Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
    CONCLUSION:

Omg I LOL'ed! Nice. haha.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's not even about what works for me. Look around you. Look at other countries, for instance. Asians consume the highest quantities of white rice in the world. The French have some of the richest cuisines in the world. it's nearly impossible to find anything "low fat" or "low carb" in a French market. But yet both countries have the lowest obesity rates in the world. Can you explain why that is? No other country is as obsessed with calories and dieting as we are, yet we struggle the most with our weights. There's a reason for that. The prior two countries value eating as an experience, and listen to their bodies, knowing when to start eating and when to stop. Americans, according to studies and polls and just by making observations in our everyday lives, typically do not do those things. We have many attachments to food that have nothing to do with hunger & nourishing our bodies.

CONCLUSION:

Bueno, no hablo Inglés más.
  • 2720cynthia
    2720cynthia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is unnecessary if you learn to eat when you're hungry, only when you're hungry, and stop when you're not. It sounds too simple to be true, but it is.

Much of what you say is true. HOWEVER I have found for myself that counting calories has led me to LEARN how to eat when I'm hungry, only when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm not. It has also shrunk my stomach so that I feel less hunger.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    derp. don't mind me.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    oh geez, it's the way you're saying it...
    you're coming of antagonistic(this can happen with CAPITAL LETTERS, etc),

Instead of, "NO FOOD MAKES YOU FAT!"
    you could've wrote maybe, "How I believe your emotions can cause you to gain weight" or something like that...

then maybe you would get better responses from people your points effect,
    otherwise everybody has their own way. Maybe calorie counting, and not eating certain foods, just works for some, while not for others.
    I agree that it's my delivery that offended people. But I know if I was all "hmm i maybe possibly have an idea but I dunno other people are different" about it, no one would take what I was saying seriously. I'm not trying to force anyone to change what they're doing, I'm not selling anything. I just want to get the word out. If some people don't want to listen, that's honestly 100% fine. If someone reads this and continues to count calories rigorously and eat diet food all day long, that's okay. But if I can help someone, that's even better.
  • angiechimpanzee
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that works for you. That does not make you a food, fitness or diet expert. Different things work for different people, or as my nutritionist said, "If one weight-loss method were right for everyone, we'd have a whole lot less obesity in this country."

Too bad you felt the need to put your experience into a preachy post.
    Sigh. It's not a weight loss method. It's literally the way human beings and all animals in general are programmed to eat. Eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're not. I don't see why that's so hard for some of you to grasp. We all ate that way from birth. Why is it now so foreign and even in this case rejected?

But okay. I'm sorry you all felt you were being preached to. If you don't care about what I'm saying then that's fine. Good luck with your diets.
  • bornleader79
    bornleader79 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    so basically you have trained your eyes to know the correct portion of food to eat.Am i correct?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person on MFP who read the title as "(no food) makes you fat," as in not eating any food at all causes obesity?
    :ohwell:
  • angiechimpanzee
    Options
    so basically you have trained your eyes to know the correct portion of food to eat.Am i correct?
    Not exactly. I start eating when I feel that I'm hungry. I eat until the hunger goes away and I feel good, to where I could get up and walk around and do stuff with energy (it usually takes a surprisingly small amount of food to reach this point). I rarely eat until I'm really full anymore, to the point where I'm tired and want to take a nap.

Then I stop eating and put the leftover food away or throw it away. I don't pre-portion my food because I know I won't always need the same amount of food to feel satisfied. Sometimes I"ll be hungrier than others and need more.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Actually ALL food makes you fat....... if you eat more of it than your body needs.
  • angiechimpanzee
    Options
    Actually ALL food makes you fat....... if you eat more of it than your body needs.
    Which is exactly my point.

I meant no food makes you fat as in, no specific food, in an of itself, makes you fat. It's only eating excessive quantities of it (which is typically due to the reasons in my original post) that does.
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    muss is another word for mess I think lol
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Can we all agree that there is a difference between being fit and simply being thin? Sure, you can stay within a calorie count eating nothing but processed foods but do you honestly believe your body is healthy albeit within a recommended weight range? Do you put low-octane gasoline in your high-performance sports car and expect the engine to run as long as it possibly can?
  • bornleader79
    bornleader79 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You see not everyone has that luxury. A nutritionist actually told me thats why so many people are obese because their brain doesn't registered that their full until 20 mins after they have eaten(something to that effect...its been awhile).So what do you do? You continue to eat. Thats why I think portion control is very important because it blocks any damage that could have been avoided 20 mins ago. There are some that eventually get use to recognizing the signs of being satisfied after eating meal. I was told that takes time. Hopefully I will get there : )
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    The trouble is that I spent years eating the way that you suggest, and I ended up fat. I "listened to my body", ate a balanced diet, stopped eating when I'd had enough, wasn't an emotional eater, etc. etc. I was a healthy weight for most of my life eating like that, but as I got older it stopped working and my weight crept up until I was severely obese. If I go back to eating like that, I'm certain the weight will go on again.

There is no getting round the fact that my appetite tells me to eat a little bit more than I need (and "filling up" on veg and salad doesn't change that). I HAVE to consciously restrict my calorie intake in some way. That can be by calorie counting, or by limiting when or what I eat. I've chosen calorie counting at the moment and it seems to be working. I think I'm going to have to continue to restrict calories for life, although I will experiment with eating "normally" over the years to see if my body has somehow reset itself.
  • aliciaconcha90
    Options
    Lets cut to the chase, I do understand what you are saying about your weight loss. Not counting calories may worked for you, however it doesn't mean that it would work for everyone else. Stop preaching o_O yeah?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You don't have to agree with me, you really don't. But so many people in the world (who don't count calories or even care about them) are proof, and now I'm proof of it to. Counting calories is unnecessary if you learn to eat when you're hungry, only when you're hungry, and stop when you're not. It sounds too simple to be true, but it is.

You have no idea what the word "proof" means.

All you can prove is that what you've done works FOR YOU. And even for you you're talking a tiny amount of time.

For many of us counting calories is necessary if we want to lose weight/maintain. And I've "proved" that over and over again on myself.

Good for you if you've found something that works for you but please don't think you've got the answer for everyone. That's arrogant and makes you look stupid.

I'm sorry if my original post came off as pompous and all-knowing, that wasn't my intention at all. I just want someone out there to realize they don't have to be a slave to calorie counting anymore. And I know being discreet and sugar coating it, no one will listen. Even if I'm provocative and I upset people in my delivery, I'd rather do that and help the few people on this site who are sick of counting calories and want another way out.

Lolwut? I live in France - a lot what you write is hock. Sorry.

I'm eating my fat free fromage blanc and gluten free jambon (the packaging says so) for lunch...
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    How does this make any sense?
    If you eat no food then you WON'T get fat.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    But the body is predisposed to putting on fat during good or ample times so that it has a fat store for lean times......

My body wants carbs all the time. Carbs and fat. If I listened to my body I would eat a ton of cheese, potatoes with butter, bread with butter AND peanut butter