Ground Turkey recipe ideas????

Options
LeiaBeekley
LeiaBeekley Posts: 26 Member
I took out some lean ground turkey for dinner tonight and I need some healthy ideas on what to do with it.

I've tried lettuce wraps and spaghetti w/marinara but I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas they can share?

Replies

• klm78
    klm78 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Skinny Loaded Turkey Nachos...here is the link:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/skinny-nachos-with-turkey-beans-and.html#more

We just had these last night and my family loves them! I used FF refried beans instead of black beans, but oh so yummy!
    There are several other turkey recipes you can browse through on skinnytaste.com.

Enjoy!
  • cegreene87
    Options
    I also took out some lean turkey for dinner. I'm making Turkey Chili Taco Soup. It's packed with protein and fiber and it tastes really good too! Bonus it's quick to make, less than 20 minutes from cabinet to table.

I got the recipe from Skinnytaste.com I love Gina's recipes because they give you all the nutrition information including Weight Watchers points!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/turkey-chili-taco-soup.html#more
  • monilove78
    monilove78 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you are in the mood for a burger, try this: stuff the ground turkey with a crumbled cheese (e.g., blue cheese, gorgonzola, feta, etc.), season to taste and broil in the oven on low. For condiments, try a fat free or lite ranch instead of mayo, add lettuce tomato and onion and you're set! It is delish!!!
  • julie8219
    julie8219 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TURKEY CHILI - so good!
    Ingredients
    1 onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
    2 (4 ounce) cans canned green chile peppers, chopped
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ground cayenne pepper to taste
    ground white pepper to taste
    3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
    5 cups chicken broth
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    Directions
    1.In a large pot over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic and ground turkey and saute for 10 minutes, or until turkey is well browned. Add the chile peppers, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cayenne pepper to taste and white pepper to taste and saute for 5 more minutes.
    2.Add two cans of the beans and the chicken broth to the pot. Take the third can of beans and puree them in a blender or food processor. Add this to the pot along with the cheese. Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes, allowing the cheese to melt.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I find that ground turkey makes a great filling for tacos...once you put the taco seasoning on it's indistinguishable from ground beef. Tastes great.

Come to think of it, that sounds like a pretty good dinner idea for tonight.
  • Fairedust30
    Options
    I too make nachos and tacos from Ground Turkey. Made a 1/2 Extra Lean groung beef and 1/2 Ground Turkey meatloaf that was very good. The combination made the meat really moist. Fat/Calorie content isnt too different between Extra Lean GB and Ground Turkey, so it was more a flavor thing than nutritional savings.
  • judyccarter
    Options
    I came across this receipe this morning that sound good:

Turkey Meatballs in Red Pepper-Tomato Sauce
    1/2 cup wheat germ
    2 egg whites
    2 clove of garlic
    2 small onion
    1/2 cup yoguart fat free plain
    1/4 cup basil fresh chopped
    1 pd of turkey ground lean
    salt Kosher
    pepper black
    1 can tomatoes whole (28 oz)
    1 cup water
    2 tbls. oil olive
    1 small red or green pepper
    1 sprig thyme
    1 tsp of oregano
    oil spray
    mix ground turkey w/ wheat germ, egg whites, onions, garlic, yoguart & basil, season with salt & pepper
    roll into meat balls (20)
    save some of the onions, garlic, yoguart & basil mix with tomatoes to make sauce, you can pour over
    brown rice or brown enriched noodles.
  • judyccarter
    Options
    I am very new to this site, just started Saturday and I am determined to lose at least 50 #'s, can I find
    someone that is just starting with this board to share receipes and ideas with me, this is good for
    me because my husband is eating and losing with me. Please share with me let's lose together, I also have a
    daughter that has lost 48#'s working with this web and I have another daughter that is on schedule with
    me and her dad, Also have daughter that lost 60#'s on WW somehow I just can not get
    the routine of ww so praying this method will work for me. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
  • RunTheDay
    Options
    mmm....I mix my ground turkey with cilantro, cumin, and other spices and stuff a pepper with it. Soooo yummy!
  • Yitte
    Yitte Posts: 3
    Options
    I've made it into a turkey loaf, added a about 1/2 a bag of roasted peppers (frozen from trader joes)
    a little italian progresso bread crumbs, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper. :smile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I found this in the recipe section. You could substitute turkey.
    Thai Chicken Balls by Sia Bevis

Ingredients

2 pounds ground chicken
    1 cup dry bread crumbs
    4 green onions, sliced
    1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
    1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together the chicken and bread crumbs. Season with green onion, ground coriander, cilantro, chili sauce and lemon juice; mix well.
    Using damp hands, form mixture into evenly shaped balls that are either small enough to eat with your fingers, or large enough to use as burgers.
    Bake in a shallow dish at 350 until browned
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like the turkey meatballs from skinnytaste.com
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Skinny Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 3 chicken bites • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 202.8 • Fat: 7.8 g • Protein: 21.7 g • Carb: 10 g • Fiber: 1.2 g • Sugar: 1.7 g
    Sodium: 524.7 mg

1 1/2 tsp oil
    3/4 cup onions, minced
    1 lbs 93% lean ground beef
    1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
    1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white
    2 cups beef broth
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper, to taste
    8 oz sliced mushrooms
    2 tbsp all-purpose flour
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 tsp red wine vinegar
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, to taste
    1/2 tsp mustard powder
    1/4 cup water
    chopped parsley for garnish (optional)

Directions:

Sauté onions in oil over medium heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine half of the sautéed onions, ground beef, ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg, egg white, 1/4 cup beef broth, salt and black pepper.

Shape into 8 oval patties.

In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties. Set aside on a dish.

Add mushrooms to the skillet, season with salt and pepper and sauté 2-3 minutes.
    Return patties to the skillet with the mushrooms.

In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining broth until smooth. Mix in remaining onions, tomato paste, vinegar, water, worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.

Pour over meat and mushrooms in skillet.

Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes with a vegetable on the side. Enjoy!!
  • LeiaBeekley
    LeiaBeekley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, taco's sound amazing, I can't WAIT to eat dinner now!

Thank you all so much!

This website is seriously a life-saver :-)
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I LOVE turkey chili! I make it with:

4 oz. Ground Turkey
    1 cup Onion, chopped
    1 cup Bell Pepper, chopped
    1 can of Rotel
    1 can of Dark Red Kidney Beans
    1 tsp Chili Powder
    1 tsp Garlic
    1 tsp Black Pepper

I put it in my slow cooker for 6-8 hours on low. Last time I made it, it was awesome with crackers! Tonight I'm making it and will be using it as the chili for frito pies.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I make ground turkey stirfry. Very low-cal and tastes great.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I find that ground turkey makes a great filling for tacos...once you put the taco seasoning on it's indistinguishable from ground beef. Tastes great.

Come to think of it, that sounds like a pretty good dinner idea for tonight.
    i make this around once a wk.....so quick and easy.
    use the high fiber low carb wraps and then fill with what you like...typically i use sour cream, shredded cheese, tomatoes, black olives and either spinach or lettuce! DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nana82Much
    Nana82Much Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bump
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Turkey Meatloaf Muffins

Ingredients

•• 2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
    •• 3 egg whites
    •• 1 cup quick cooking oats
    •• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    •• 1/2 tsp dried thyme
    •• 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
    •• 2 tsp black pepper
    •• 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
    •• 1 tsp salt
    •• 2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
    •• 1 small onion (finely chopped)
    •• 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)

Instructions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    2.Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
    3.Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
    4.Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
    5.Bake for 40 minutes.