How quickly can I lose an inch off my hips?

Options
Hello! I've used the app a few times in the past to track calories, but this is my first time posting to the board. I would like to fit into a dress in two weeks-- bought it 3 months ago and it was perfect. Didn't realize I had gained so much until I tried it on the other day-- I can still zip up, but it doesn't look right so snug on my hips. I think an inch would do the trick.

A little bit about me: I'm 5'3", 125 lbs, a size 2-4, in my 20's. Carry my weight in my hips and legs. The app tells me that at resting, I should be burning 1730, which makes losing a lb/week 1230 net calores (which is *extremely* difficult for me).

Is an inch in 2 weeks even possible? How many lbs do you think that would be, and how much of a daily calorie deficit should I aim for?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce..you'd be better buying some spandex knickers.
    Workout hard and eat well and you'll improve your chances..buy definitely buy some spandex.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    Workout hard and eat well and you'll improve your chances..buy definitely buy some spandex.

Same thoughts. Control underwear is going to be your friend I think in this case.
  • cassandrabak
    cassandrabak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks-- will try investing in some spanx and see if that works.

I guess I was more curious about how lbs correspond to inches on the body? I realize that our bodies don't shed weight the same way, but was hoping that I might get a sense of orders of magnitude. Is an inch on my body 2lbs? 10?

I'd also be curious if there's a general rule of thumb re: measurements instead of inches. When people talk about weight loss, the standard is -500 calories a day = 1 lb/week. Same thing really-- how fast can you lose inches? Don't necessarily need to spot reduce-- say my goal is to lose an inch everywhere if that's what it takes (although my hips fluctuate the most anyways), how long would that take?

Would love to hear from someone a similar size who's been focused more on measurements than lbs!
  • Lindyxx
    Lindyxx Posts: 34
    Options
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

No you can't spot reduce but losing weight (fat) overall will result in losing weight from her hips. Obviously you fitted into the dress at some point so it is possible for your body. Give it a go for the two weeks but why not keep the control underwear as a back up plan :)
  • echippendale
    Options
    Hi i used this and it seems to have helped :) i do it every other day ,you really feel the burn x http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebc11SrkqWk
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, but for me (I'm 5'8") an inch off my hips takes about a five pound loss. Good luck, and yes, control underwear is your friend!
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bodies naturally fluctuate in water retention. That difference alone could account for your dress dilemma. I once measured my hips in the morning and then again in the evening--more than an inch difference! Spanx are fine for occasional use, but they do compress your body in an unhealthy way according to my doctor.