Advice on what to eat please!

Options
Hi,
I'm new to this site and am very confused with what I should be eating. I thought there would be a list of recommended foods somewhere but can't find anything. I have been reading some other posts and have ended up more confused than when I started!
The settings confuse me as well. I have a daily sugar rating of 24 and I was trying to eat fresh fruit more but if I have 2 pieces of fruit then I go over this goal. It also states I should have a Sodium goal of 2500 which to me seems very high and someone else wrote you should keep your sodium low so which is correct?? Should I remove these items from the daily goals and be concentrating more on calories, carbs and fats? Help please!!
Elaine

Replies

• kokevendingmachine
    kokevendingmachine Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A+ carbohydrates
    Spinach
    Kale
    Broccoli
    Brussel sprouts
    Asparagus
    Collard greens
    Red peppers
    Tomatoes
    Yams & Sweet potatoes
    Barley
    Oatmeal (Old fashioned unsweetened)
    Beans
    Black eye peas
    Slow cooked, brown rice (long grain/basmati)
    Lentils
    A+ proteins
    Salmon, Rainbow trout, herring
    A+ fats
    Flaxseed oil
    Udo’s Choice essential oil blend
    Fish Fat (salmon, trout, herring, sardines)

A Foods
    An A is the second highest grade a food can receive. To receive an A grade, a food must be 100% natural (not refined or processed in any way), and it must be fairly high in nutrient density, while low in calorie density. Like the A+ foods, A foods are also high in nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, carotenoids, phytochemicals, essential fatty acids and fiber. The A grade starchy carbohydrates like yams are staples for energy in hard training athletes, bodybuilders and fitness buffs. A-grade proteins are the LEAN, complete proteins (those containing all the essential amino acids). A-grade fats are those high in omega-3’s and other healthy essential fatty acids. An A is a great grade. Eat mostly A-grade foods and you’ll get great results.

A grade carbohydrates
    White potatoes red potatoes Carrots
    Quick brown rice
    Quick oatmeal (unsweetened)
    All fresh fruits (not including canned, sweetened, or juice)

A grade proteins
    Chicken breast
    Turkey breast
    Fish
    Shellfish
    Egg whites
    Non fat cottage cheese
    Top round steak, eye or round
    Whey protein

B Foods
    A “B” is a good grade. Not the best grade, but a “good” grade nonetheless. Physique athletes (bodybuilders and fitness competitors) often drop out B grade foods prior to competitions, opting for 100% A-grade choices. This makes the diet much more restrictive.
    There are many good B grade foods that you can and should eat regularly. Whole wheat bread is one example. The only reason whole wheat bread doesn’t get an A is because it is processed. Although it may be whole grain, a loaf of bread doesn’t grow on a tree does it? It’s unsweetened (except for a tiny amount of corn syrup) but it is slightly processed. An all natural food is one which you eat in the same form that it came from the ground or off the tree/plant.

Carbohydrates
    100% whole grain, unsweetened boxed cereals 100% whole grain pastas (amaranth, spelt, quinoa, wheat, etc) 100% whole grain breads (100% whole wheat, rye, spelt, etc) 100% whole grain cooked cereals Whole wheat pitas
    whole grain, unsweetened muffins
    Grits
    cream of rice
    white rice

B grade Proteins & dairy products
    Flank steak
    Extra lean top sirloin
    Low fat sliced turkey breast
    Low fat sliced chicken breast
    Non fat sour cream
    Non fat cheese
    Non fat cream cheese
    1% low fat cottage cheese

B-grade Fats
    Olive oil
    Canola oil
    Natural peanut butter
    Nuts & seeds

C Foods
    A “C” is an average grade; not poor, not failing, but not good either. If most of your diet consists of “C” grade foods, your results will be average…not poor…not absent….but not good either. Breakfasts cereals like Cheerios are C list foods. Cheerios only get a C because even though they’re made from whole grain oats, they’re sweetened with white sugar. If you go to a health food store you can often find generic brand Cheerios (usually called “oat o’s or “Oat circles” or something like that). This would bump the grade up to a B. Any cereal that’s sweetened with refined sugar automatically gets bumped down to a C. If the cereal is mostly sugar it gets a D or an F. C-grade carbohydrates are those which are processed or sweetened slightly, but still made from a whole grain. C-grade carbohydrates also include those that are very calorie dense, like fruit juice. Fruit juice is a fairly healthy food, but it’s also very calorie dense, which is not good when your goal is calorie control for a fat reducing diet. C food proteins are those which are moderate in fat and or processed or cured with flavor enhancers, sodium additives and/or preservatives.

C-grade carbohydrates
    Pasta made from enriched flour (durum semolina)
    bagels
    Cheerios
    Sweetened and /or flavored oatmeal
    Kellogs raisin Bran
    Total cereal
    Enriched wheat bread
    Unsweetened fruit juice
    Sweetened low fat yogurt

C-grade proteins
    Sliced low fat ham
    Low fat sausage
    Regular ground beef
    Chicken thighs
    Turkey, dark meat
    Turkey, ostrich, emu -jerky
    Low fat (2%) cream cheese
    Low fat (2%) cottage cheese
    Low fat (2%) sour cream

D Foods

A “D” is a poor grade, no doubt about it. If you’re eating a lot of D-grade foods, your results will be poor for sure. D grade foods are also bad for your health. D foods are those that are high in refined sugars or made primarily from bleached white flour. D-grade foods also include proteins that are high in total fat and or saturated fat and proteins that are highly processed and refined.

D-grade carbohydrates
    Sweetened boxed breakfast cereals with no whole grains
    Bleached, enriched white bread (i.e., “wonder bread”) or white bread products
    Crackers, muffins and baked goods made with white flour and hydrogenated oils

D-grade proteins
    Regular ground beef
    Moderate fat cuts of red meat
    Roast Beef
    Ham

D-grade fats
    Sour cream
    Cream cheese
    Cottage cheese (regular, whole-fat)

F Foods

F foods are the foods you should almost never eat. And if you do ever eat them, it should be a rare occasion indeed. These are the foods that not only spell disaster for your physique; they’re also horrible for your health. F-grade foods include the following categories: 1) foods containing trans fats, 2) foods high in saturated fats, 3) Highly processed or refined foods, 4) highly sweetened foods or foods that are pure sugar, 5) foods that are high in refined sugars and fats, 6) processed, high fat meats.

Foods high in saturated fats & trans fats
    Palm oil
    Palm kernel oil
    Coconut oil
    Hydrogenated oils
    Anything deep-fried
    Dairy products made from whole milk
    High fat cuts of red meat such as porterhouse and prime rib
    Foods made mostly of white sugar or other refined carbohydrates (corn syrup, etc)
    Candy
    Sweets
    Chocolate
    Cookies
    Soda (coke, pepsi, etc)
    Sugar Sweetened beverages
    Baked goods high in fats and sugars
    Pies
    Doughnuts
    Croissants
    Éclairs
    Cinnabons
    Cakes
    Pastries
    Foods high in refined carbohydrates and saturated fat
    Doughnuts
    Fettuccine Alfredo
    Potato chips
    Hot Dogs on white bun
    Fast food hamburgers on white buns (even worse with cheese, bacon)
    Sweetened peanut butter (“skippy, etc)
    Processed, high fat meats
    Hot dogs
    Beef jerky
    Salami
    Ham
    Sausage
    Bacon

Hey, figured you should read this. :) I think it'll help you a lot regarding the food we have to eat to get oh so lean and sexy :)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new to this site and am very confused with what I should be eating. I thought there would be a list of recommended foods somewhere but can't find anything. I have been reading some other posts and have ended up more confused than when I started!
    The settings confuse me as well. I have a daily sugar rating of 24 and I was trying to eat fresh fruit more but if I have 2 pieces of fruit then I go over this goal. It also states I should have a Sodium goal of 2500 which to me seems very high and someone else wrote you should keep your sodium low so which is correct?? Should I remove these items from the daily goals and be concentrating more on calories, carbs and fats? Help please!!
    Elaine

unless you are diabetic, don't worry about being under the sugar, especially if the sugar is coming from fruit.

sodium, it would be worth looking at how much you have, but its not vitally important at this stage.

yes, the most important thing is watching your calories, i.e trying to stay under or eat up to your calorie goal. a good protein level is a good thing to get into your diet, along with healthy fats.

you can have a look at my diary to see what i eat, but i can summarise

oatmeal with sweetener and berries in the morning (cause oatmeal is fricken awesome, best breakfast ever)

a smoothie with 3-4 servings of fruit (banana/berry) coconut cream (good fats) and a half scoop of protein powder (if ive been exercising)

small lunch, recently eggs with mushrooms and spinach - kind of eggs Florentine.

dinner is made of 3-4 servings of vegetables with

noodles or rice or pasta

+ fish if I have any.

the key thing to see is, theres 6-8 servings of fruit and vegetables, a helping of good fats and protein. <--- this is what your going for really.

5 servings of fruit/vegetables is enough.

i snack on carrots, like a large whole carrot. kills hunger between meals if it pops up.

hopefully this is a simple explanation
  • crystalqueen26
    crystalqueen26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Many thanks to you both for taking the time to reply. I will read through the information and hopefully have a better idea. :)
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would just focus on your calories first, especially now you have some great food ideas!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Don't stress sugars.. sugar doesn't cause weight gain or prevent weight loss. I eat over 100g + of sugar a day to include candy, and I eat 2500 calories a day and average1 lb per week. Sodium can cause water retention and mask weight loss but it won't prevent fat loss, just scale frustration. I commonly hit 5000mg of sodium a day but I try to eat foods high in potassium and magnesium which will help mitigate some water retention.

If anything get rid of sugar and track fiber. Fiber is a lot more important.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, as long as it fits in your calorie goal. As you get used to eating on a calorie deficit, try to hit your macro goals as well (macros are carbs, protein, and fats). You can also set these up to a custom setting - many people prefer to increase their protein percentage, as MFP sets it pretty low. Most people have success with 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats. It's easier to achieve and helps you get the right amounts of everything.

Try to eat healthy foods as much as possible. Veggies, fruits, lean meats, healthy fats, whole grains, etc. But don't feel guilty over having a serving of ice cream or a slice of cake now and then. Eat what appeals to you and what makes you feel good.

Don't stress about sugar unless you have a medical condition such as PCOS or diabetes. If so, consult your doctor.

Above all, eat back your exercise calories. MFP was designed to work that way, and MFP is the program you signed up for. So, eat them back! You earned them.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, as long as it fits in your calorie goal. As you get used to eating on a calorie deficit, try to hit your macro goals as well (macros are carbs, protein, and fats). You can also set these up to a custom setting - many people prefer to increase their protein percentage, as MFP sets it pretty low. Most people have success with 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats. It's easier to achieve and helps you get the right amounts of everything.

Try to eat healthy foods as much as possible. Veggies, fruits, lean meats, healthy fats, whole grains, etc. But don't feel guilty over having a serving of ice cream or a slice of cake now and then. Eat what appeals to you and what makes you feel good.

Don't stress about sugar unless you have a medical condition such as PCOS or diabetes. If so, consult your doctor.

Above all, eat back your exercise calories. MFP was designed to work that way, and MFP is the program you signed up for. So, eat them back! You earned them.

WHAT she says! Always!
    :happy:
  • MadisonLeo
    MadisonLeo Posts: 89
    Options
    I think the first post under your question is solid gold!

Don't worry about fruit sugar. That is good sugar and if you are working out at least 4 days per week, then your body needs it for energy. As far as sodium the same applies. When you sweat, you lose sodium which is a part of the electrolytes you need while working out. So as long as you don't go over the 2500 mark you are fine.

I eat lean protein (chicken breasts, salmon) and sometimes shrimp just to change it up a bit.

Quinoa is also a great source of protein. Protein is essential for muscle recovery after your workouts.

Breakfast is usually either fruit and yogurt, oatmeal with NO SUGAR - I use raw honey and add cranberries or any fruit you want OR if I know I have a super long workout that day, I will start with protein in the form of 2 eggs with tomatoes, jalapenos and green peppers with a light dash of cheddar cheese.

Lunch is where I eat the most calories usually. I keep it simple. Sweet potato fries with a chicken breast sandwich or tuna wrap or a huge salad.

Snacks are peanut butter and apples. Mixed nuts. Raw veggies and low fat ranch dressing. SMOOTHIES!

All the while making sure I stay under my calorie goal. And please, feel free to eat over your goal, but you must excercise to end up UNDER your calorie goal. Ex - If you eat 1800 calories for the day, you must burn at least 601 calories to end up under 1200 if that is your calorie goal. All about NET!

Hope this helps!
  • crystalqueen26
    Options
    Thank you so much - I appreciate all the advice. I am going to delete the sugar and sodium goals and concentrate on calories - I usually find this quite easy so will start there and then adjust what I am eating to meet the other goals too. The advice given seems really sound and you all seem to agree so it must be right!
    I have 2 dogs so exercising is not too difficult either and I swim 60+ lengths at least twice a week. There is conflicting advice on eating back your exercise calories though. On another thread most people seemed to think you shouldn't as you would burn off more fat that way but I don't have a huge amount to lose only 10-20lbs so I'm thinking it's best to lose it slowly - is this right?
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE and BMR method so I don't pay attention to workout calories etc, just calories consumed and try to keep it between 1500-1900/day
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Everyone has different needs, you need to eat in a way you can be healthy but yet maintain this lifestyle. I would not suggest ignoring Sodium and Sugar though, both of those things can cause issues do remember though that there is a difference between sugar from fresh fruits and vegetables and added sugar in processed foods. Sodium can cause a number of problems and contribute to high blood preasure it also can cause you to retain more water so it can tell a story if you have a bad week or something. Same thing goes for Sugar but it plays into diabetes and insilun resistance.

I eat as clean as I can I avoid processed foods as much as possible, I avoid bread and pastas. And I cook alot make homemaid things I get a lot of recipes off of Skinnytaste.com and make many of the freezer recipes so I can freeze individual servings for quick fixes.

Good luck in your journey
  • crystalqueen26
    Options
    Sorry I think you may have misunderstood or perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "ignore". I actually meant that the goal of 2500 sodium a day was way too high and thought I should be eating something more NOT that I would go over it. My sodium has usually been about 600-700 per day. I have taken some advice on board and removed the sugar and sodium goals and instead added Fibre and Saturated Fats.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Do not over think this! Eat what you want and log your foods. Then you will learn your trouble meals/snacks/foods and you can adjust accordingly. If you try to do anything too drastic, this will not stick. Good luck!