How to squat lower...any tips?

Smuterella
Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
OK - so I've recently started Stronglifts and am really enjoying it. I'm very weak and I started off two weeks ago only being able to squat 22lbs and yesterday managed 66lbs. I'm proud of that progress. Yes, indeedy.

The thing is, I just can't get quite parallel, let alone below, on my squats. The rest of my form is fine, accordingly to two different trainers, but I just can't get lower. They both say that depth will improve with time but I'm impatient. I want to get the most out of my time in the gym.

I know it is partially confidence and partially weak knees from running, and practice will help with both of those issues. I was just wondering however, whether anyone here had any other tips and tricks to help.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Back up on the weights until you can get to parallel. There's no use increasing the weights if you're not doing it properly. You can try just starting over with body weight and then slowly adding weight. It's not a race to increase the weights, do it at your own pace.
  • Smuterella
    Hmmmm....It's not the weight that's the issue, at least I don't think it is. I can't get that low even with bodyweight, it feels like my knees will give way and my hips are too stiff. Maybe I need to do some specific exercises to strengthen the knees loosen up the rest of me. :-S

Trust me, I'm not treating it as a race. If it came over like that then I didn't intend it to.

Thanks
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Hmmmm....It's not the weight that's the issue, at least I don't think it is. I can't get that low even with bodyweight, it feels like my knees will give way and my hips are too stiff. Maybe I need to do some specific exercises to strengthen the knees loosen up the rest of me. :-S

Trust me, I'm not treating it as a race. If it came over like that then I didn't intend it to.

Thanks

Squatting below parallel will help knee stability. When you don't go down low there's uneven tension, and that's probably why your knees are feeling it.

I had to do a little tweaking when I first started too, it could be hip flexibility or your feet too close together (depending on how you're squatting). You can try working on some stretches, like getting into the "down" position and finding what's comfortable.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Try leaning against an exercise ball up against the wall, it will give you support.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I can't get low because of weak, inflexible ankles. I have to turn them too far out or have my legs too far apart for proper form to get down. I do the bodyweight squat challenge three times a week to concentrate on form, tapping my bum on the coffee table each time to ensure I'm getting low enough!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Could be a number of things, with the most likely candidates:

Ankle mobility - if you cannot dorsiflex your ankles enough, you have to flex the hips a lot more, and end up leaned forward a lot, and not getting deep.

Hip mobility - even with good ankle mobility, tight hip flexors will pull the torso forward and stop you getting deep.

Thoracic mobility - if you can't extend your thoracic spine, you won't be able to keep your chest up during the squat.

Without seeing you squat, my most likely guesses would be hips or ankles. If you elevate your ankles, using a weight plate, or a piece of wood or something similar, can you then hit full depth? If so it's your ankles, if not it could be anyhitng, but likely to be hips.

Work on rolling these areas (foam roller, tennis ball, lacrosse ball etc..) and doing mobility drills, plus keep squatting!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Without seeing you squat, my most likely guesses would be hips or ankles. If you elevate your ankles, using a weight plate, or a piece of wood or something similar, can you then hit full depth? If so it's your ankles, if not it could be anything, but likely to be hips.
    That's definitely me, I'll give this a try, thanks!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Ankle restrictions are very common.
    They can be be soft tissue related, joint capsule related or bone structure related. The first two can be be resolved relatively quickly with frequent and aggressive mobility work, a bone issue is not going to be resolved with surgery, which I wouldn't recommend.

If you're serious about squatting, it's always worth considering getting a weightlifting shoe. They have a stiff sole, and an elevated heel, which helps with getting deep. They're designed with the sport of weightlifting in mind, as they help stay more upright in a deep squat, making catching cleans and snatches easier, but they will help generally with squatting and overhead movements.

6739830823_8f4ff34832_b.jpg
    Even the pros need a little help sometimes.
  • Smuterella
    Thank you. I do have very tight and ...downright clicky...ankles and tightness in the hips. I'll try standing on a plate and add a foam roller to my shopping list for next payday!
  • Smuterella
    I don't like the tone of this artcile, or the name of the exercise, but it looks interesting. I'll try and remember to do these everyday.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_thirdworld_squat
  • RunEatLift
    RunEatLift Posts: 68
    I have really tight hip flexors which can sometimes inhibit low squatting - there's a lot of hip opening exercises which help to loosen them a bit and make me more flexible.
    http://www.elevationoutdoors.com/blogs/alpine-adventures/tight-hips-9-yoga-poses-to-release-the-hips/
    I find these exercises to be really helpful. Yoga in general has helped to improve my balance and flexibility.

Try strengthening your hip abductors by doing some lunges (weighted if you want)

Also is your stance wide enough?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I don't like the tone of this artcile, or the name of the exercise, but it looks interesting. I'll try and remember to do these everyday.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_thirdworld_squat

I fail to see the tone you're taking issue with, but it's called a third world squat because third world citizens continue to do this naturally, while first world citizens don't. It's really no different than the names of other exercises and routines - sumo squats/dead lifts, Bulgarian squats, etc. - they're named after the people that were originally doing them or brought them into the greater fitness world.
  • Smuterella
    I know, I know. I just don't like it.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Getting this low is so, so important for the health of your pelvic floor!

If you can't get that low, hang from the counter or a door knob as low as you can without too much discomfort.

I get that you don't like the third world reference, but it's so important to recognize that we've cultured ourselves into not having to squat ( gather food, take a poo, etc ) but there are many places where that squat is how people sit 90% of the time. Strictly speaking from a postpartum stance, this squat is what prevents you from peeing your pants when you sneeze. I assure you, in countries where they squat, they aren't dribbling!

I'm on my phone, so I can't pull up references, but Google ought to have lots of info for " pelvic floor squats ".
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    I have also heard of them being called stripper squats. But they are great to stretch out the lower back. I do them several times a day at my desk.

Also, notice the picture above. There are some people who insist on repeating the myth that your knees aren't supposed to go past your toes.

Getting past parallel is important if you don't want to ruin your knees.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    I have been doing box squats to ensure I get just below parallel & it seems to be helping. Drag one of the lifting benches over to the squat rack and squat until your bum just touches the seat then come back up. I have found that with squats, I tend to cheat, and this keeps me from doing so. Plus I am long legged enough that the benches put me just below parallel.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/box-squat
  • Smuterella
    I get why they are called that, I just think the name is ... ugh. Shouldn't have mentioned it, I'm clearly too PC/sensitive for my own good on some things. It has been said before...

Stripper squats I like but I think I shall call them toddler squats, as they are exactly what my friends children do ALL the time. ;-)

I just managed to do them without holding onto anything, no problems at all. So, I think my issue is mainly confidence. I'm going to build regular body weight ATG squats into my routine (pre weight warm ups perhaps) and hopefully I'll get there.

Thanks everyone.
  • Smuterella
    I have been doing box squats to ensure I get just below parallel & it seems to be helping. Drag one of the lifting benches over to the squat rack and squat until your bum just touches the seat then come back up. I have found that with squats, I tend to cheat, and this keeps me from doing so. Plus I am long legged enough that the benches put me just below parallel.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/box-squat

that might help with my confidence as I won't feel like I'm gonna fall over. :-)
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Use the mass in your a** to get you lower. You can practice by putting a 7 inch ball or yoga block between your thighs and sit back into the squat. Squeezing the block/ball will help to engage the quads and take pressure off the knees. You can do these at home in between workout sessions for extra strengthing... and remember... belly button is pulled back to the spine...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Do you by chance run too?

I notice that my running and squats tend to fight with each other. After run day, my tendons are so tight that I just can't physically get lower, (until weight increases enough that it just forces me down more).