What works for you, to avoid giving up on your diet.

Options
santd
santd Posts: 234 Member
I think I've lived most of my adult life on a diet! and i can remember the diets i just gave up on after a few weeks, and i can remember the 4 times I lost large amounts of weight, being more determined, but i never ever achieved my target weight. Mentally, this time its different for me, mainly because my health is suffering (my biggest motivator). But there have been times when you're on a diet for a long time, the scales don't move for weeks, or you even gain a pound occasionally, that's the overwhelming disappointment that makes me give up.

What do you find that's works for you to keep you on the straight and narrow?

>I must admit i do love routine. I love MFP website to log everything, I used to write it all down and calculate everything myself, which was tedious, but this website is great.

>I do have to get a certain amount of exercise in each day, or I feel edgy, and i used to hate exercise.

>when i started my diet 2 years ago, i said to myself if you're really determined to do this give up 3 things you really love. So I gave up 1) wine 2) hard cheese, and 3) crisps. I managed to keep that ban for 12 months for all three, and only now have the occasional glass of wine. But the other 2. no more!

> when i feel hungry, I go on line and research health, nutrition, obesity, it takes my mind off food.

> when i get to bed, and I've not cheated I feel so good about myself.

> i do eat off a side plate now, it took some getting used too, as my obesity was all due to volumes/quantities, not necessary the type of foods i was eating.

>I do eat regular now 3 to 4 times a day. Before I would go all day with nothing to eat, then pig out in the evening. I wouldn't feel hungry all day with nothing in my stomach, but as soon as i ate something in the evening it was like the flood gates opening.

WHAT ARE YOUR PITFALLS, AND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. BE HONEST.

Replies

• MsAnnThropy
    MsAnnThropy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. It really helps. Another trick that I read somewhere that works for me is one for my own "danger time" which is in the evening, having stuck to my diet all day. Often, by the end of the day I'm SO hungry.
    Instead of breaking my plan though, I don't think about what to eat, I make a concerted effort to look forward to breakfast. I'd read this before as a good tactic and it does help a lot (it also helps that breakfast is my biggest meal of the day, where I get most of my carbs from wholegrains/ cerial and fruit. This also works as I have energy for most of the day, and don't feel drained like many diets do).
    The other thing I use is water, or green tea. If I'm exessively hungry, I up my water intake at meal times to add to feeling full. If it's not a mealtime, the green tea helps as it's warm (also full of antioxidants and alledgedly boosts metabolism) and I make a pact with myself not to eat anything until I've finished a cup of it. That works cos green tea is FOUL! I don't generally manage to finish it.
    Last but not least, my weakness is chocolate, so I don't keep any in the house. If it's that time of the month and there might actually be casualties if I dont have any, I go to the shop and buy 2 or 3 freddos and no more (so I don't have "more for later" - later to easily becomes "Oh, I will just finish it now").
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I log in every day, I post everything I eat, I don't give up anything, i.e., I eat what I like, and that includes chocolate , I don't have any trouble staying on program. I never go over my calorie goal ( inciuding exercise), because I don't want to. I don't do "cheat days " (by the way I HATE that term), binge, fall off the wagon, or do anything else to derail my steady and slow weight loss, because I don't want to, and why in hell would I do anything I don't want to do? I'm in control of what and how much I eat and what and how much I exercise, nobody else is. THAT'S what works for me.
  • santd
    Options
    I log in every day, I post everything I eat, I don't give up anything, i.e., I eat what I like, and that includes chocolate , I don't have any trouble staying on program. I never go over my calorie goal ( inciuding exercise), because I don't want to. I don't do "cheat days " (by the way I HATE that term), binge, fall off the wagon, or do anything else to derail my steady and slow weight loss, because I don't want to, and why in hell would I do anything I don't want to do? I'm in control of what and how much I eat and what and how much I exercise, nobody else is. THAT'S what works for me.

What ever works for you! that's the whole point of this topic, and I'm glad you have no problems staying on program-congratulations; but the reasons why most of us are all here, is because we find it a struggle..... and there's no need for bad attitude. Each to ones own i say! These topics are to help each other, not criticise.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont eat cheese?! that just makes me sad!!!! i fit plenty of cheese in my diet! its a good protein souce!
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What works for me - first, I look at my ticker and keep detailed records of my loss - a big incentive right there. Second, nothing is banned, just limited. Banning just makes the banned thing more desirable. Third, I tend the eat the same stuff so it has become second nature now after so long.

I go out, I drink, I eat treats if I want (and have calories left for them). I make my protein levels and see how the rest falls. If I go over my calorie limit once in while (I stick to below TDEE), I shrug - after all, I'm still on a deficit for the week.

No big secret - just eat what you want but less of it.
  • fat_harrie
    fat_harrie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When the scales refuse to budge, I generally know that I have been a little indulgent. I am one of those people who only have to walk past a chip shop and I gain half a stone. So if I find myself getting a little frustrated I have a weekend of relaxing a little, I will go out with friends and although I remain aware, I will go for wine instead of soda, lime and vodka. Then on the Monday I will feel that its out of my system and find a new burst of determination. I have maintained my weight for a month (I am still technically trying to lose) and had my 'relaxed weekend' last week and have lost 2lbs since Monday.

It may not work for everyone, but it's about fndong what makes you tick. Trial and error have a big part to play.

All the best!
    X
  • mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately this is not a "diet" for me :-( But I know what you mean. For me I consider this my new lifestyle. This way of eating (and many failures, see my food diary lol) is the new way. I haven't lost a ton of weight in the almost year that I've been here, but it's significant for me, and shows me that small changes in choices do add up over time. Slow and steady wins the race for me!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

The other thing I use is water, or green tea. If I'm exessively hungry, I up my water intake at meal times to add to feeling full. If it's not a mealtime, the green tea helps as it's warm (also full of antioxidants and alledgedly boosts metabolism) and I make a pact with myself not to eat anything until I've finished a cup of it.

This really does work. I do the same. Although, I don't tend to hate the taste quite so much. I put a couple of drops of lemon juice in there and don't leave the bag in to stew. It doesn't taste NICE, but it doesn't taste bad either. If I'm hungry at work, I'll have a cup and if I'm still hungry 10 minutes after finishing it, then I realise I must actually be hungry and I'll have a healthy snack.

I also find brushing my teeth and having sugar free gum to hand helps a lot too. Something about having a fresh, minty mouth is motivating. Try it, next time you can't quite be bothered to workout, go wash your face and brush your teeth. Works if you're hungry too - brush your teeth and you won't want that minty-foody taste; by the time the mint has worn off, you'll be distracted by something else by then.

I also love logging my food in MFP. It can surprise you how many calories you eat when you'd probably neglect them if you kept a record in your head. Keeps you honest. There's also a nice little buzz about adding a heavy workout into your diary.

Snacks are also good. I have nuts, cheese, some cold meats, and of course fruit and veg to hand all the time! In between those, I really try to get as much water into myself as possible, so I'm always walking around with a big bottle; it's surprising how quickly you get used to it.

Also, I used to LOVE watching the Food Network, usually in the evening. I won't do this now, as Man v Food or Triple D just drives me insane with hunger (or so I think). So I've cut that out too!

There's hundreds of little tips I can think of, but I hope that's a starting point.
  • MelsAuntie
    Options

What ever works for you! that's the whole point of this topic, and I'm glad you have no problems staying on program-congratulations; but the reasons why most of us are all here, is because we find it a struggle..... and there's no need for bad attitude. Each to ones own i say! These topics are to help each other, not criticise.

What? I am not criticizing anyone! Nor do I have a bad attitude. You asked what worked for other people, I told you what worked for me. Why ask and then find fault with honest replies? That would just be rude.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself as being on a diet, I consider myself committed to healthy eating for life. I think getting into that mindset helps a lot.

I've done low-calorie diets in the past, and I've always ended up quitting after losing 15 pounds or so because I was so hungry and that put me in such a bad mood. Now, I exercise so much that I can eat enough to not feel hungry, and once I made a commitment to really do this, it's been easy (I've actually lost 26 pounds so far though my signature thingy says 3; I only joined this site recently).
  • santd
    Options

What? I am not criticizing anyone! Nor do I have a bad attitude. You asked what worked for other people, I told you what worked for me. Why ask and then find fault with honest replies? That would just be rude.
  • santd
    Options

What ever works for you! that's the whole point of this topic, and I'm glad you have no problems staying on program-

congratulations; but the reasons why most of us are all here, is because we find it a struggle..... and there's no need for bad attitude. Each to ones own i say! These topics are to help each other, not criticise.

I apologise, I must have misinterpreted when you said.... "and why in hell would I do anything I don't want to do"? It came across a little confrontational.
  • sastrodder
    sastrodder Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've started to do my exercise first thing in a morning which means me having to get up an extra hour early and so then when I go to reach for something bad my rationale is - "well if I'm going to eat that chocolate/pizza/biscuit what did I bother with an hours less sleep for"?

And also, I have a dress that I really want to wear for my birthday so I have hung it up in my flat, so it's glaring at me whenever I'm tempted to have a wobble.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I found a picture of a model in a bikini, my same height, that I want to look like and taped it to my fridge. I have to look at that picture every time I go for a snack!!!
  • MelsAuntie
    Options

What ever works for you! that's the whole point of this topic, and I'm glad you have no problems staying on program-

congratulations; but the reasons why most of us are all here, is because we find it a struggle..... and there's no need for bad attitude. Each to ones own i say! These topics are to help each other, not criticise.

I apologise, I must have misinterpreted when you said.... "and why in hell would I do anything I don't want to do"? It came across a little confrontational.

Huh.. I thought it came off rather light and funny, like I'm poking fun at myself for being stubborn.
  • adairbrum
    adairbrum Posts: 68
    Options
    Don't give up ! And don't be on a diet be on a healthier life style it is a life choice to be fit and healthy if you go on a diet you tend to cheat or give up gain back flab and health problems just decide that you deserve to give your body healthy food and a exercise routine that benefits your body! And never never eat for your taste buds the will get you into trouble eat for your body and your body needs good food (not as much as we think) 5 to 6 times a day don't go hungry just a fruit will help you
    I have a hot cup of low fat milk before I go to bed it settles my munchies
  • kitsiekitty
    kitsiekitty Posts: 166
    Options
    Parties/celebrations are my absolute downfall. I swear! D: Its always cause most of the food served at our parties are stuff we never get to eat on a daily basis, so I eat them because I don't get to eat them generally, so when there's a party (like today oh goodness, SO OVER my cal goal), I try to remind myself that its just one day of maintainence, and as long as I don't go over maintainence cal, I'm fine.

And I also try to make up for it by being below my cal count foor every othe rday of the week, and hopefully I'll be under cal count for the week so it cancels out that one binge day. And even when i 'binge' on celebration days, I don't overeat, but just enough so people won't complain that I'm being a killjoy or that I'm eating like a rabbit. xD

Otherwise, I cut out sodas/any sweet drinks (a waste of cals if I'm drinking it), and eat nonprocessed food. Cutting out junk food and most of the chocolate too! xD I've also put up a picture of my dream body on my phone wallpaper, so that keeps me motivated. :P
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have been pondering your questions for a long time and still find it difficult to answer. The main thing that has kept me going has been seeing my weight go down by keeping my calories low enough. Feeling better about the way I look has also helped to keep me motivated. The difficult part has been trying to be patient when things don't happen as quickly as I would like them to. Also accepting and loving myself in spite of all my imperfections is something I need to continue to work toward. Giving up is not an option is what I will say to myself every day to help me to reach the goals I have set for myself. Congratulations on your success, you are an inspiration.
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh ins and measurements. Seeing even the slightest improvement gives a huge boost.

Stockpiling healthy, low cal recipes so if I get hungry, I have no excuse to not make something beneficial.

I always record my binges, but not all in one day. I spread that intake throughout the week. Seeing one day of a ridiculous amount of calories kills any motivation I have, stressing me out and making the situation worse. Then the next day, my calorie limit resets and I might be inclined to overeat again (usually out of defeat). If I record fractions of the intake on separate days, it makes it less overwhelming to look at. Then if I feel like treating myself, I say, "Oh, you see? You already had a 1/2 cup of M&M's a couple days ago, so keep yourself in check today." I don't know if this is recommended or not, but I find it easier to cope with and I don't lose motivation.

I also set milestone rewards, such as going to Disney once I reach 123 or teeth whitening once I reach 126. Choose things you desperately want. I prefer to do things more on the pricier side because it gives time to save up the money and it feels so rewarding.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    I avoid giving up on my diet by not cutting anything out. If I want ice cream, I'll have it. If I want chocolate, I'll have it. I justmake sure it fits into my calories, and I'm on my way.

I think routine definitely helps too, and planning - knowing I've got a cottage pie to have for tea means I can look forward to that. If I've not got anything planned, it's all too easy to sway me into having a few biscuits with my coffee at work.

Being comfortable with and around fresh food and food preparation helps tremendously. I've never really relied on processed ready meals, and whilst I do tend to buy processed pasta sauces I'm also just as happy with preparing my own, time allowing. This means I can really get a handle on what I'm eating - little tasters of the ingredients as I'm cooking so I know how things are tasting etc.. I think if I wasn't happy with cooking, I'd be relying on weightwatchers ready meals etc., and they get old very quickly. It also means I enjoy my food more - it tastes fresher and cleaner, and it's something to be enjoyed rather than wolfed down.

I think the biggest thing for me though is to avoid the phrase "I'm on a diet". I'm quite strict with myself - if I catch myself saying I'm on a diet, I have to correct myself. I'm not "on a diet", I'm changing my eating habits for the better. I try not to demonise any food (no good foods/bad foods) and don't reward myself with food either. To me, telling yourself you're cheating and categorising food as bad/good can induce feelings of guilt and shame, which can make me miserable, which means I'm more likely to forget the whole thing and start eating McDs for lunch every day again. But incorporating treats into my calorie allowance means I don't need to feel guilty about eating them, I can really enjoy them and I can look forward to the next time I treat myself.

Essentially, I guess I'm saying that in my opinion, building a healthy relationship with food is what's important to sticking to a "diet".