My Falafel Recipe

Options
von13nie
von13nie Posts: 39
My Falafel Recipe – 8 servings
I roll these in a wrap with salad and barbeque sauce. After rolling everything in the wrap I put it into a sandwich press to toast it and warm it up. This is my take on homemade Doner Kebabs. Delicious, but a warning - if you are sensitive to spicy, either halve the paprika and chilli powder – or omit them all together.
My non-vegetarian husband usually uses chicken in his doner kebabs but now he has switched to my falafels.

Method: Soak the Chick Peas overnight and then rinse off. Cook the chick peas in water until they are easily squishable (Approx. 1-2 hours). Drain the chick peas and add the balance of ingredients. Mix thoroughly and then divide into 8 portions. I individually wrap my portions in foil and freeze them.
Ingredients
Break down of Calories etc Cals Carbs Fat P/tein Fibre Sugar
Chick Peas, Dried, 175 g 630 109 8 37 23 19
Onion, Small, Raw, Chopped,(80 g) 30 14 0 2 2 6
Garlic Cloves - 3 cloves, chopped 13 3 0 1 0 0
Fresh - Parsley, 1 sprig, chopped 0 4 0 2 2 1
Ground Cumin, 2 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
Ground Turmeric, 1/4 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
Baking Powder, 0.5 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
Generic - Sea Salt, 3/4 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
Ground Black Pepper, 1/4 tsp 5 1 0 0 0 0
Fresh - Coriander, 0.25 tbsp 1 0 0 0 0 0
Generic - Paprika, 1/2 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0
Garlic Powder, 1/2 tsp. 0 0 0 0 0 0
Chilli Powder, 1/4 tsp 0 0 0 0 0 0

Total: 679 131 8 42 27 26
Per Serving: 85 16 1 5 3 3

p.s. This is the first time I have started a thread, so I hope everything stays in alignment.
p.p,s It didn't - hence the edit. Fingers crossed.
p.p.p.s Didn't work again but I'm sure you get the picture.

Replies

• tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused. Do you note form these into Patties and bake them, and then put into your wraps like Falafel's one gets in resaurants? I understand the mixing and such, but do I assume the mixture is then in a loose form, that you put in your wraps. I am trying to find a receipe that I can make the tradiional falafel and make into patties. Obviously most traditional is fried in olive oil or deep fried, but I assume one could make these into patties and bake on a cookie sheet. Thoughts?
  • von13nie
    Options
    My fault for being confusing. I forgot to mention that you mash the chick peas before adding the other ingredients. Traditionally falafels are deep fried, I don't fry mine or bake them. I do add water if the mixture is too dry and form golf ball sized portions. I only use these in wraps.

I don't know about restaurant ones as I live in China and there certainly isn't any comparisons in this city.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will give it a try, and maybe bake them into little patties and see how it goes.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Saving! Thanx
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump, these seem like they are going to be lush
  • mrrohitmalik
    mrrohitmalik Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am totally new to this website and infact today is my first day to follow this. I read your recepie and sounds reallly interesting. I am infact looking for more menu items with the calories breakdown, if you have any please share.
    for this Falafal, what kind of wrap you use because what I understand, each wrap contains alot of calories. Isn't it ?? and you use these 8 servings for the whole day ?
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump thanks for posting will give them a try
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    would tinned chickpeas work in this recipe
  • whycantregister
    whycantregister Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I :heart: falafel so much!

I am temporarily living in the middle-east now, and falafel has been one of my favourite breakfast at the cafe, nyummy! :))
  • von13nie
    Options
    Hi
    I am totally new to this website and infact today is my first day to follow this. I read your recepie and sounds reallly interesting. I am infact looking for more menu items with the calories breakdown, if you have any please share.
    for this Falafal, what kind of wrap you use because what I understand, each wrap contains alot of calories. Isn't it ?? and you use these 8 servings for the whole day ?

I have to make my own wraps because I live in a rural part of China. My wraps at the moment work out at 200 calories for each 9" tortilla, but I am ready to try a new recipe. Also, being a bulk buyer, I have 5kgs of All Purpose Flour to use before I find a healthier option.

I only eat 1 falafel per serving perhaps twice a week. They freeze really well.
  • von13nie
    Options
    Canned chick peas would work as well - I just can't buy them in my location. Thought it was Christmas when I found dried ones.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks maybe I will try this though I only have a few of the spices. Really it looks pretty easy, Thanks!