Are H&M's clothing sizes accurate?

Options
The clothing store, if anyone has bought anything from there do you know if the sizes are accurate.

I bought a dress from there today and it is 3 sizes smaller than what i would have bought 4 months ago.

I bought a size 12!!! I'm so excited, even if they make their clothes a little bigger, it gave me such an ego boost!
:drinker:

Replies

• dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I buy a lot at H&M... I've found that their sizes are often inconsistent, but usually not off by more than one size, and it goes either way, too big or too small. So, even if they made that dress bigger, at most it would be like a regular size 14, which is still two sizes lower than what you were before. So good job! :flowerforyou:

But really, who cares what size it is anyway, as long as you feel great wearing it, right?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I would say they actually run a little small. Their closes tend to stretch a lot, so if I try on a shirt and it's a big snug, I tend to buy it anyway because I know it will stretch out a bit, and then shrink back to original size with each washing.

So yeah, I would say they are accurate if not a little small, so you did good! Good job!
  • ThePoptart
    ThePoptart Posts: 28
    Options
    No, they are not. I bought a pair of pants with a number 2 sizes too big and the sales girl told me they run really small.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    they are accurate! i bought a pair of jeans there too, which right now are my goal to get back into cause i didn't own them for that long. but they are accurate, maybe even smaller? i hope! lol:laugh:
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    I work in the fashion industry, so I have some insider info for you...They are a European company and their sizes are NOT the same as American sizes, they also produce in several different countries and have MANY fit models all with different bodies, so the sizes will always be innacurate, either too small or too big or fit fine depending on your body type. I personally find that they are too small.

A store like say Banana Republic for instance has one fit model here in the US, so the fit is fairly consistent, maybe not accurate, but consistent.

It is important that you do not get caught up in sizes and numbers. EVERY clothing company has different fit models, sizes and and a lot of them do vanity sizing. Hope this helps.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Amen, CodyKitty! I find my sizes are all over the map. I wear one size with Eddie Bauer clothes, several different sizes with clothes brands I get at Macy's, forget about clothes I get at Target....they are ALL mislabeled when it comes to their sizes (they tend to run too small :laugh: )

All that said there is something wonderful about buying a pair for pants that are smaller than anything in your closet!
  • hannahlclrk
    hannahlclrk Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    theyre super small mostly, but there tops seem larger...

very odd
    i tried a dress in a 14 which was tight on my boobs, and i'm only a 36 B - and usually a size 10/12 #

i personally dont think you can go off any sizings now, just have to try try try!
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    I would say they are definitely smaller sizes there unless they're obviously meant to be an oversized item.

I buy bigger sizes there all the time. Usually i'd buy 10-12 in dresses, I buy 14's there x x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont shop there often, but i think they run small.
  • skinnyme444
    skinnyme444 Posts: 86
    Options
    I think their sizing is very small! When I was a 12 I would chose a 12 and it wouldn't even go on me and I would get really upset and not want to shop anymore! I try to avoid shopping there unless its for basics or accessories!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I freakin' love H&M and have shopped there for years. The sizing varies depending upon the line. They have a youthful/teen line which runs quite small, a business line which is true to size and a more casual line which runs large. This is based on years of experience and hundreds of euro spent! x
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same dilema about all stores. I'm not yet used to my smaller self so I try on big stuff first :)
  • Fay132010
    Fay132010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    they seem smaller than most shops becuase they haven't given in to vanity sizing and are from here in europe so are slightly smaller anyway
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I live in the UK and yes I find their sizes quite haphazard.

I am pretty much wearing a UK Size 12 now. I have a pair of size 16 stretchy jeans which fit me and a size 12 dress from there which fits. There is another size 14 dress I have which even now is a bit tight.

If I go there I always have to try on first.
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS try things on when I shop there because, as pp's have said, it's very inconsistent - BUT it's always within a size range....I'm never oddly low in size or really HIGH...I can basically eye ball and know if I need to go up or down a size, prior to the fitting room - not always though. I LOVE h&m :)
  • RoxyBaroque
    RoxyBaroque Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm now a size 12 in jeans...everywhere but H&M! Their denim definitely runs small
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!