i know they say stomach fat is last to go but come on!

Options

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am apple shaped, as I suspect you are. I started dieting at about 165 lbs. Though I lost several inches in my waist over the course of my loss, I didn't seem to lose in my stomach as what I saw as proportional to the the rest of my body. When I got below 130, my waist measurement started to go down again. Keep pushing toward your goal weight, exercise hard and that stomach will tighten up. Work on ab definition so that when you finally lose the fat you will know it by seeing the muscles. Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My last bit of fat is on my thighs. Lifting is making them look better (less cellulite, more shape to them) but eating at a deficit is what is going to get rid of the last bit of fat. I've made quite a bit of progress in the body fat department lately by eating at a small deficit (because I'm already at my goal weight I only have a 250 calorie deficit) and doing Stronglifts to maintain and work the muscle that I already have so I don't lose it while dieting down.

Ignore all talks of special belly-fat targeting diets, cleanses, and the like. If people do lose fat from these methods it's not any more than they would have lost by eating at a deficit with real food. In fact they may have sacrificed muscle in the process, and muscle is what makes you look good naked.

Patience is so much easier said than done I know. I'm having issues with patience myself lately, but these things just don't happen overnight. Good luck!
  • pickledginger
    pickledginger Posts: 172
    Options
    It's a long shot, but how's your blood sugar? If it's running even a little high, that can encourage the body to store fat in the belly. At least, that's what the metabolic researchers are saying. If that's the case, then a lower-carb diet might help.
    But we all have spots that don't cooperate; this may be yours. :-(
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Granted I am just starting out and need to lose belly fat too and never had a flat stomach, however, from what I researched, you need to cut out grains and processed starches and dairy from your diet. I am not saying eliminate carbs as a whole, but get it from veggies, fruit and legumes and beans (you can get fiber and protein from these). Up your protein. It's true losing belly fat is with the diet. Starting eating very clean. This is why, foods that contain gluten especially if you are gluten sensitive that can cause inflammation and cause problems in absorption of micro nutrients. Same thing with dairy. Plus refine starches and sugars can spike your insulin levels because of the spiked sugars which causes to store fat in areas where your fat is stored as well as increase cortisol levels. I hope this helps.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    are you certain it's all fat? mobile, wobbly, just under the skin?

sometimes a distended abdomen is a symptom of a health issue.

My son gets that when he needs more fiber in his diet and a good BM.

:bigsmile:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I hate to be a debbie downer- but I've been a this for 3 years and I can't lose it. I think genetics plays a huge role. It really sucks because everyone thinks about having a flat stomach, but for me it really is impossible.

I've got awesome legs though, so that balances out lol
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    We are the same almost. I am 5'6" & I just weighed in at the Dr's office at 126. I'm slim everywhere but have a minor belly pouch & love handles that jiggle when I jump around. I'm trying to tone it up & get abs but no matter what I do, nothing wants to budge. I'm doing insanity right now & I've been told weight lifting will help me get rid of it but the problem is I can't afford a gym & my highest weights right now are only 8. I'm hoping to find higher weights at a garage sale this summer. You might need to up your calories a bit because I see that you are only about 10 lbs from your goal weight & the last 10 are the hardest to go. Feel free to befriend me & maybe we can help each other.

Got a Kitchen aide mixer? I do. It's 27#s I think.
    Book bag stuffed with college texts?

Weights don't have to be in the shape of dumbbells or weight plates for a bar.

^ no i don't have any of those things. But I do have smaller weights that I can double up - 8 lb + 5 lb for 13 lbs of weight. i think the next weights i'm going to get will be 15 lbs. then from there hopefully i can find some cheap barbells somewhere or higher dumbbells. a gym is just not in my budget right now which really sucks cuz i'd love to be in the gym lifting.
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    I lose from my stomach first when I lose weight. The hardest area for me is the hip/butt/thigh area. Just keep going. You will get there!
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a "good" cleanse. I can't see your diet journal but I'd suggest taking a look at your diet (content & time).

- Are you eating more lean proteins than junk? If we are what we eat, do you need to up the proteins and reduce fat and carbs?
    - Are you sleeping 6-8 hours?
    - Are you avoiding food intake several hours before bedtime so it can be used as energy rather than fat?
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Rome wasn't built in a day and unfortunately we don't see the results of our efforts instantaneously. Just be patient and stay the course it will come off. :)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm roughly the same stats as you, but I'm about fourteen pounds heavier.

However, my stomach is pretty darn flat. You mention you use kettlebells, but i'm not sure exactly what exercises you're doing with them. I look much lighter because of my concentration on lifting heavy, and that's done loads more for flattening my stomach than being at a low weight ever did.

For the record, I've been as low as 95 lbs at 5'6", and still had something of a belly even as my ribs were poking out around it. My stomach, as a result of cortisol issues, low LBM, etc., had ALWAYS been a problem for me.

I'd also note: you may have an allergy or intolerance without necessarily realizing it. I had a GI doctor take me off dairy for two weeks awhile back--lower abdomen pooch? Gone.

Granted, I've incorporated dairy back into my life because I'm addicted to cottage cheese, and my stomach's still flat (from weight lifting).

Try looking into techniques to help swayback, in case your posture is affecting the look of your stomach (which it really, really can).

Strength training is a hell of a drug.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

^ no i don't have any of those things. But I do have smaller weights that I can double up - 8 lb + 5 lb for 13 lbs of weight. i think the next weights i'm going to get will be 15 lbs. then from there hopefully i can find some cheap barbells somewhere or higher dumbbells. a gym is just not in my budget right now which really sucks cuz i'd love to be in the gym lifting.
    You don't have any big books? I have more big books than I can shake a fist at.

Weights can often be found cheap at garage sales and thrift stores. (So can big books)
  • xprplstardust
    xprplstardust Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Weights can often be found cheap at garage sales and thrift stores. (So can big books)

^ i used to when i was in college but i don't have them anymore. but i just remembered that we have an indoor flear market year round here so i am going to look there tmr - i get paid!. i bet i find something!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Talk to a pro at a gym and another one go to different gyms let see your problem maby you need a ruotine switch , it can be done and yes it takes some time so talk to the pros most gym will give a free day and talk
    There is no exercise routine that will cause spot reduction, it's impossible.
  • aidendart
    aidendart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just curious are you doing any ab workouts? The master cleanse was a great boost for me. For the last 10 you need to lose or the first it's great! on day 7 and down -11.2 so far.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

^ i used to when i was in college but i don't have them anymore. but i just remembered that we have an indoor flear market year round here so i am going to look there tmr - i get paid!. i bet i find something!

GO TO THE LIBRARY.
  • Gemykins
    Gemykins Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,

Have you tried Pilates? Pilates can strengthen your core and posture which really helps to give you flatter tummy.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Train for something very physically demanding.

Some examples would be:
    Tough Mudder
    Climb [insert name of very tall mountain near you]
    Swim 5 miles non stop
    Complete a triathlon
    Complete a marathon
    cross country ski 50 miles
    bike 100 miles in hilly terrain
    etc etc etc

While you're doing that, keep track of your diet and resistance train. Assuming you give yourself a reasonable amount of time to train for the event you selected, I'd wager you'll be MUCH closer to your goal when the day does come.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You may just have to accept you are 'pear' shaped and work as hard as you can to tone and sculp but you won't and can't change your genetic body shape... The more weight you drop you may still find it comes off your upper torso and shoulders but not where you want it too.

You can achieve a lot through diet and exercise but you can't change your genes!!!

Pears do not have big stomachs. Pears have big thighs and big bums, sometimes wide hips, but a proportionally small belly area. You're thinking of Apple-shaped women. Apples carry a lot of weight in their belly area; have big stomachs.
  • Sid1988
    Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the comments....

The 'i've been fighting my tummy fat for 3 years and still nothing' scares me. Also the health issue ones. I may book a doctors appoinment just to get checked out anyway.

In response to some questions, i do ab exercises but i know this wont make any difference until the fat has gone (which is my problem in the first place)

I will stick to low carbs over the next month and add in some heavy lifting see where that gets me :)