Just found out I'm pregnant

Options
Hi guys

As you can see from my ticker I was planning on losing 2 stone in weight. Now I have lost just over 9lbs (yipee!) by healthy eating and exercise (previously used Lipotrim and other unhealthy methods to do so).

Here's my query... just found out I'm pregnant (5 weeks today actually :bigsmile: ) and I'm absolutely delighted. Usually I stick fairly well to my 1200 calories a day. Can I still do this in my first trimester or should I increase my calorie intake? How many calories should I be aiming for?

Thanks!

Replies

• hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    Grats on the baby!

(no clue about the eating habits though)
  • worldtravelgirl98
    Options
    I would definitely increase if you continue to count. I would increase at least 300.
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    you only need about 200-300 extra calories while pregnant so maybe bump it up to 1500 or 1600 calories
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Here's an article to start you off but I recommend that you talk to you doctor or midwife soon about this. You should not restrict calories during pregnancy (this does NOT mean you can eat all you want, either!).

http://naturalhealthhealing.blogspot.com/2008/03/caloric-intake-during-pregnancy.html

My dd gave birth a month ago. She was told 300 calories a day increase over her usual calorie needs for the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
  • takethepieces
    Options
    Congratulations.

I would imagine that you would need more calories to help the baby to grow but that good eating habbits are still a good idea for good health of you and your baby. I've heard of other people losing weight while pregnant and I hear that Slimming World (if you have that) is a good one because you can eat whenever you're hungry and if very healthy.

I would recommend talking to your doctor and see what they suggest - you can never be to careful with the health of your baby.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

If you have the "What to Expect" book, they've got a Best Odds diet (best odds of not gaining unneeded weight, of returning easily to prepregnancy weight)... but I agree with the "seek professional advice" comments above.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor and please don't restrict your calories during your pregnancy. I actually have twins and the increase of calories was overwhelming for me. It was actually hard to eat all those calories and carry 2 babies. They turned out huge, too. 8 lbs and 7.9 lbs. I gained 60 lbs and within 6 weeks the weight just dropped-off. The 2nd pregnancy sure didn't happen that way and that is why I'm here 13 yrs later.

Congrats on your news!!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Congratulations!!

My guess would be that you should increase your calories by a couple hundred to help fuel your body and the amazing process it's going through! I believe the first few months is only increased by 200-300 calories.
    BUT I would talk to your doctor just to make sure. They'll usually detail our for you how many calories you should be eating at any given point and should be able to tell you what your weight should be to be healthy at any given point during your pregnancy.

Take good care of yourself and your new baby!
  • verisb
    verisb Posts: 2
    Options
    :bigsmile: congrats on your super duper great news:)

With the eating, I suppose you should eat more, your doctor will tell you whats best, right? :) I read somewhere that you shouldnt gain more than 10 kg.

:)
    Many jkisses from ARgentina:)
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    Before continuing on your quest to loose weight I'd seriously talk to your doctor about your dietary concerns. Only he/she can give the advice you are seeking.

That being said, no matter what you are told I suggest you still stick to MFP to enter your info! :-)
  • desireebutts
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! Thats so exciting... I would definatly talk to your OB doc. about the calories etc. If you dont' have one yet talk to your Primary doc... I know that you need more but I"m not sure how much...
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Echoing what everyone else says--talk to you doc. I've heard others on here recommend bumping up to maintenance when you find out you are prego, and then getting more specifics from your Doc. It really depends on your individual situation, but for the general population I know losing weight in pregnancy is not usually recommended.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Echoing what everyone else says--talk to you doc. I've heard others on here recommend bumping up to maintenance when you find out you are prego, and then getting more specifics from your Doc. It really depends on your individual situation, but for the general population I know losing weight in pregnancy is not usually recommended.