I threw out my scale

Options
When weighing myself on my scale I always got weights that were all over the place. I realized something was wrong with it when it said I gained 10 pounds in a day when I had eaten nothing out of the norm the prior day and had my typical 2 liters of water, and had not had excessive sodium. So I weighed myself 6 times in a row...with 6 different weights registering every time I stepped on- they were all over the place with about a 10 pound difference between the highest and lowest weight. I was driving myself crazy trying to determine what my true weight was- placing it on different surfaces, researching online to see if anyone else had issues with the same scale (they had). So, to keep myself from losing it over the insane, inaccurate fluctuations, I threw the darn thing out. But I now really do want a new one. So does anyone have a good suggestion for a good scale? I would prefer a digital one.

Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    spend a little bit of money don't go cheap and watch what part of the house you place the scale on!! lol
  • immnamna
    immnamna Posts: 5
    Options
    I ran into the same problem. My solution was to walk into Bed Bath and Beyond and google bathroom scale reviews. I looked for the top rated one (for accuracy) that was actually in the store. This solved the 'analysis paralysis' and I ended up with a scale that now only varies about .2 when I get on it multiple times in a row.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-reviews/health-products/bathroom-scale-reviews/best-bathroom-scales#slide-6
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    my current brand is life fitness
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Screw the scale, stick with the tape measure, the way your clothes fit, and invest in a body fat measuring thingy (??? LOL). Personally, I have found that the scale is my enemy, and if I put on a few pounds, I end up defeating myself for the next few days. Been much happier & more focused since I ditched it entirely.
  • ww1900
    ww1900 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've got the Eatsmart Precision Premium, and it seems to be very accurate. Check out amazon, there are a few scales there with a lot of good reviews.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    When weighing myself on my scale I always got weights that were all over the place. I realized something was wrong with it when it said I gained 10 pounds in a day when I had eaten nothing out of the norm the prior day and had my typical 2 liters of water, and had not had excessive sodium. So I weighed myself 6 times in a row...with 6 different weights registering every time I stepped on- they were all over the place with about a 10 pound difference between the highest and lowest weight. I was driving myself crazy trying to determine what my true weight was- placing it on different surfaces, researching online to see if anyone else had issues with the same scale (they had). So, to keep myself from losing it over the insane, inaccurate fluctuations, I threw the darn thing out. But I now really do want a new one. So does anyone have a good suggestion for a good scale? I would prefer a digital one.

Haha, I understand why you did that. It is very annoying when you are trying to track your weight and you can't get an accurate reading, not even close. I bought a WW digital scale. Not the kind with all the bells and whistles. It only reads your weight. I like it and so far it has been accurate. If I weigh myself and 10 minutes later weigh myself again the number wont change.

I use to be the kind of person who didn't want a scale and only looked at the way my clothes fit. Then I realized that all im doing is hiding from the truth.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Not sure how spendy you want to get, but I have an Omron HBF-514C and it has been very accurate weight-wise for me. If I weigh myself on the scale and then go to the doctors office I'm always within a half pound, and if I weigh myself multiple times I'll have. at worst, a fluctuation of about 0.4 lbs, usually 0.2 lbs. It does cost about $70 on amazon though.

The body fat monitor is kind of nice, but the electrical impedance body fat analyzers don't have the greatest reputation for accuracy. There's about an 8% difference between what my scale tells me and what was measured using the usualy-more-accurate-but-still-problematic calipers. However, the body fat scale does generally do a good job of telling you if you have lost fat. If the scale says you are at 35% body fat, that could be way off, but if that number goes down to 30%, then you probably have lost about 5% of your body weight in fat. The number is precise, but not accurate, if that makes any sense.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Good for you, leave it in the trash where it belongs. Scales are good for nothing. I really don't know why people get so focused on the numbers provided by the scale god. Many people start workout programs and get stuck looking at that number as their results; when that couldn't be further from the truth. The true result is how do you feel? People need to realize that as you get fit your body composition changes; and the number on a scale is not a good indicator of that change.
  • sdpicard
    sdpicard Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I second the Eat Smart Precision Premium scale. I have this scale, and it seems to be very accurate. I can weigh myself multiple times in a row and get the same reading every time. The company also gets rave reviews for customer service. Another great feature is that it has a very low profile. A door can easily open and close over the top of it and it slides under my hamper baskets and out of the way. I also ordered mine from Amazon.
  • Dwells9496
    Dwells9496 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I bought the iFit Electronic Body Fat scale from Costco.ca for under $30. It works great and reads the same repeatedly.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It's not the scale, it's actual body fluctuations. Body weight changes based on various things. You will have the same problem regardless of which brand you buy. Forget the scale. Get a tape measure, an article of tight clothing, a camera and a mirror. Those are all the tools you need to measure progress.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My scale did the same thing. It's in the closet now and there it will stay. I get weighed at the doctor's office once a month, which is good enough for me. Like people said above me, get a tape measure and a fat caliper and forget a scale. They're cheaper too.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It's not the scale, it's actual body fluctuations.

Well, if you read the OP's post...
    So I weighed myself 6 times in a row...

Not so much when you weigh yourself a half dozen times, one after the other and vary by a fair amount. That's a bad scale, a scale on a carpet, or a dead battery; not your body gaining and losing spontaneously.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    not sure how much they cost but the IHealth brand is supposed to be a good one I need to buy a new one myself mine stopped working not just a battery to my knowledge. ...ugh perhaps I broke it .....lol.....I know of people who weigh "way" too often. I need to be able to at least once a week or I will go insane hope this helps...Lorrain
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I bought an EatSmart scale and it has never done me wrong, it is very accurate. :]
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Buy a good scale (I like Tanita). Place it on a level surface. Weigh yourself once, under the same conditions, e.g., nude, before eating, after using the toilet.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It's not the scale, it's actual body fluctuations. Body weight changes based on various things. You will have the same problem regardless of which brand you buy. Forget the scale. Get a tape measure, an article of tight clothing, a camera and a mirror. Those are all the tools you need to measure progress.

The body does not fluctuates that often in that short period of time. My scale shows the same weight for most of the day, until I eat, drink , pee, work out etc.