How much should I loose?

Options
I started this whole thing as a 138 pound, 5 ft 2, 18 year old Female. I was never obesely fat but I could stand to loose some weight. I have some friends who are my height or a little taller and they are 120ish so this was my goal. My mom disagrees and says that I should shoot for 130. I have lost 5 pounds so far (yay! :happy: ) and i am wondering how much more is healthy for me to loose and such.
:heart: , Chloe

Replies

• Slimkickin23
    Options
    I also just realized that my ticker says 110 is my goal. How do I change that?
  • kaitlyn12osu
    Options
    I'm also 5'2! It is pretty much up to you on how much you want to lose. Both 130 and 120 put you in the range for healthy BMI. Also, sometimes if you listen to your body, you'll know when to stop losing. For example, lots of people hit "weight loss plateaus" at a low body weight because that is genetically the lowest body weight that there body is meant to have. Also, as genetics do play a role in body weight and shape, think about your family and how you would compare at a family reunion. Would you be the thinnest or just fit in with everyone else? If you would be the thinnest then you are likely shooting for or maintaining too low of a body weight for your genetics.

I think the bottom line is that as long as your are eating enough, exercising and happy, then it is up to you :-) Hope this helps!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am a lot older than you are and a bit taller........I just hit my goal this week........I started just wanting to get into the 130's but once I did that and I was comfortable eating the way I was, I decided to lower my goal and see what happened ....I lowered my goal several times even though other women said things like "you're fading away".........my energy is high and I feel great at my current weight........

:flowerforyou: Kaitlyn had a great answer about listening to your body.....nobody else can tell you the magic number

:flowerforyou: to change the goal on your ticker, go to your home page and click on GOALS and follow the guided instructions.
  • KrissyD70
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. To change your ticker...go to your home page. Select settings at the top. Then choose "update diet/fitness profile". Change your goal weight and save it. That should change your ticker.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I think some depends on your physical stature...bone structure. I am also 5' 2" but have a medium build. My goal is between 125 and 130. If I had a smaller build (like my Mother's) I'd be more comfortable going to 120--she's always hovered around 118 and it suits her. At my thinnest I was around 125 (sometimes a little less and sometimes more). To be honest...I don't think I'd look good at 120 or below--too boney. It doesn't look strong or healthy to me. So, you should consider what you feel comfortable with and what is healthy for you first and foremost (perhaps speak with your family doctor during your next appointment). You should also consider your physical activity...are you in sports, running etc. I've started running and can see a difference in my legs. They aren't huge but they are toned and muscular...so again being stick thin isn't obtainable for me especially considering the type of activity I'm doing. I understand using weights of some of your friends as a benchmark but if they have different physical characteristics/build than you it just might not be doable and I hate to see anyone set themselves up for disappointment. Being healthy and comfortable in what is best for your body is the best approach in my opinion. Try 130 and see how it goes. Also, you want a goal weight you can maintain. If you have to go to an extreme to meet a goal weight I don't think it's the right weight for you. Congrats on your 5lbs and on working towards a healthier version of you!
  • Slimkickin23
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice! Im thinking 120-125 should do me. My mom is around my height and 136, my dad is 5' 8" and around 165. I have fairly small bone structure (my arms are very thin), and some of my family is that small. Thanks again!
    :heart: , Chloe