Advice/Support Needed-broken back...

Options
So I started my journey here on MFP back in October. I as of today am a 56 pounds lost. About 2 and a half weeks ago I broke my back. So working out as hard as I was is out of the question for awhile. The eating healthy won't be an issue but I'm really nervous about the lack of being able to work out. I don't want to lose muscle tone or let my muscles get weak. I am wondering if anyone has been through this and if you have any suggestions for how to move forward. I have to admit to a certain degree of hesitation as any sudden or awkward movement gives me a bit of pain. Right now my movements are slow and rather robotic. I so don't want this setback to derail my losing weight. Advice/suggestions/thoughts greatly appreciated.

Replies

• 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on here who is going threw the same thing. I'll send you a friend request and then you can look for my friend StaceySuperfly.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    So sorry that you are going through this!

You really, really, really need to work with a licensed physical therapist to develop a workout routine that will be safe for you to do.

Until you can work out, you need to reduce your calories. Until you've healed some I wouldn't worry as much about losing, but rather maintaining. If possible, talk to a registered dietician and develop a meal plan.

And I'll say it again, you need to work with your PT to develop a SAFE exercise plan.
  • rrwilliamson75
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I know how you feel as i broke my back the end of November and am still restricted by what I can do exercise wise. I have been taking advise from my phyiostherapists as to what I can and can't do. I would advise you to do the same.

You need to let your back heal first. I know everyone is different but it was about 5 weeks post injury until I could even walk a short distance. I was given exercises by my hospital to do and i tried to do these regularly and am still doing them.

Do you have access to a hydrotheraphy pool? I have had several sessions in that starting at about 8 weeks post inury and that really helped.

All I can say is don't overdo things as it will put your healing process back a step. It is frustrating but monitor what you are eating and rest your back giving it time to heal. Be guided by the professionals.