Tracking food when you aren't the one preparing it?

Options
Okay so here's the deal. I'm going to the lake memorial day weekend with my family. There is always food galore. The food tastes great but is not good for you, at all. I'm really worried about counting calories when I don't know how many is in my food. I like to know exactly what I'm putting in my mouth, everything I cook I make as simple as possible for this reason. If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear how you track your calories when others are cooking for you. I already plan to eat smaller portions, so please give other ideas. I also plan on running each morning I'm there.

Thank you!

Replies

• nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Is it a potluck? You could always bring a dish or two and then just eat what you've brought. Or, you could get the recipes for the things you tried from others.
  • nvpixie
    Options
    If neither of the above would work, you could just estimate based on the things already in the MFP database.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    hang around the kitchen and offer to cook. and bring your own snacks (and some to share). or ask whoever is doing to the shopping to pick up a couple of things for you too. or bring your own groceries, either way.

the main thing is to relax and enjoy the weekend, not freak out about counting calories. it's one weekend. knco your portions down, and if you are really worried about a certain dish then skip it altogether.

DON'T PANIC.
  • nrbrake
    nrbrake Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No my grandma does all the cooking. I'm thinking I'll take some of my own meals as I'm just not willing to hinder progress. :/
  • nvpixie
    Options
    No my grandma does all the cooking. I'm thinking I'll take some of my own meals as I'm just not willing to hinder progress. :/

Could you maybe ask her for the recipes? That way she won't be bugging you if she notices you're not eating her food. I know my family would bug me about it. LOL