Coffee or Diet Soda

Options
brenstar05
brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
I am at a busy point in my life right now... working 2 jobs, training for 2 half marathons and a tough mudder, studying for the bar exam. So, for the next 12 weeks at least, I will be "working" roughly 18 hours days. I know that the only way I'm going to survive and stay awake is with caffeine. So, which is a "better" source, while still trying to lose weight: Coffee or Diet Soda??

Also, none of the above listed things can be put aside, so "lessening the load" is not an option. I'm just wondering which source of caffeine is the lesser of two evils. :) Thanks in advance for the input!!

Replies

• Brandilynnrose
    Options
    Coffee doesn't have the chemicals or artificial sweeteners like diet soda (unless you add it yourself). It's way more natural, so that would be the better option.
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would say coffee, like the other user suggested, less chemicals added etc. Of course I'm providing no evidence to back this up because I'm lazy!
  • SmashWhite85
    SmashWhite85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Coffee. All natural. So much better for you and your system.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Diet pop does have artificial sweeteners. The amounts that a typical person would consume in a day (even if they're drinking several sodas) are perfectly safe, but if you have a sensitivity to them or avoiding artificial flavorings is important to you, then that's not a good choice.

Black coffee would probably be a superior choice to diet soda, but just be super aware of how easy it is to add calories to coffee. If it fits into your goals still then there's no issue with it, but just be sure that you're counting that tsp of sugar here and tb of cream there.

Plus, ounce for ounce, coffee provides a lot more caffeine ;).
  • suzbaru
    suzbaru Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Morning Thunder by Celestial Seasonings is a caffeinated tea, if you'd like to mix it up or ice it down once in awhile. It has less caffeine than normal drip coffee but it could help if you need a little and don't want to get jittery.

http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Diet pop does have artificial sweeteners. The amounts that a typical person would consume in a day (even if they're drinking several sodas) are perfectly safe, but if you have a sensitivity to them or avoiding artificial flavorings is important to you, then that's not a good choice.

Black coffee would probably be a superior choice to diet soda, but just be super aware of how easy it is to add calories to coffee. If it fits into your goals still then there's no issue with it, but just be sure that you're counting that tsp of sugar here and tb of cream there.

This.

I go for coffee in the morning than diet pop later in the day when needed. I find the diet pop helps me avoid going for a sweet snack later in the day as well.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    coffee. There are actually some supposed benefits to women from drinking coffee to help offset the bad (ie. memory retention and such) whereas there are NO benefits to soda. :)

You can do some research on your own, but a quick search to give you an example of benefits here: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/coffee-benefits

"Green tea may get all the glory, but the top source of age-avenging antioxidants in the American diet is a different hot beverage: coffee. The beans behind your brew—actually the seeds of the coffee tree's fruit—contain the same kind of nutritionally supercharged compounds found in tea and other plant-based foods such as wine and chocolate.

Health Benefits in Every Cup
    Studies show that coffee can help ward off mental decline, certain cancers, Parkinson's disease, high blood pressure, and even extra pounds (yes, really!). A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that each time you refill your cup of java (caffeinated or decaf) in a day, you slash your diabetes risk by 7 percent; in another study, drinking two to three cups of coffee each day was associated with a 21 percent lower risk of heart disease.

Want to reap all these benefits without the jitters or coffee breath? Give your next meal a shot of espresso. "Coffee can give both sweet and savory dishes a rich, earthy element," says chef David Guas, owner of Bayou Bakery Coffee Bar & Eatery in Arlington, Virginia. "It works particularly well in recipes that star chocolate, cherries, blueberries, lemon, and stronger-tasting nuts such as pecans and walnuts."

To let a bold coffee flavor come through in a finished recipe, Guas says it's best to brew a dark roast with half as much water as you would normally use (let the coffee cool to room temperature if you're adding it to a batter). Or use coffee grinds as a rub for poultry, pork, or steak.

In terms of drinking the brew, it's best to do it in moderation, despite the body benefits. "Coffee is a natural stimulant, and high intake can bring on headaches, increased heart rate, or insomnia," says Nyree Dardarian, R.D., an adjunct faculty member at Drexel University College of Nursing and Health Professions in Philadelphia. She recommends capping your daily fix at four six-ounce cups and finishing the last one at least four hours before turning in for the night. "
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Coffee doesn't have the chemicals or artificial sweeteners like diet soda (unless you add it yourself). It's way more natural, so that would be the better option.

^ This. Coffee actually has benefits to it, while Diet soda has no benefits to it.
  • 81meg1L
    81meg1L Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Agreed!

The extra chemicals in Diet Sodas put an immense strain on your liver.

Also, keeping SUPER hydrated with WATER will give you an extra energy boost. Aim to be peeing every 1-2 hours. Water also will flush out your system and make you feel awesome to pass the bar!!!

WTG!!!
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Coffee is best! :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Generally coffee has a higher caffeine content than diet Pepsi/Coke, so if you're looking for a good buzz, go with the coffee.

Just leaves more diet Pepsi for me.
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a better source of caffeine. I also find that natural sugars from fruit give me an extra boost that caffeine does not.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    If you think artificial sweeteners are evil, then coffee. If you don't, drink whatever you prefer.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Not only did everyone cover the benefits already, but it also helps get that morning toilet out of the way, so.... more weight loss? LOL
    They have sugar free creamers that are like 5-10 cal only btw, (including a shot of vanilla extract) i you are not a black drinker. Possibly throw in some stevia....
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    black coffee, it has a decent amount of potassium. diet cola, not so much.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Go organic.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Also, ritalin if you can legally get your hands on it.:tongue:
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone who said coffee (or tea) and wanted to add GOOD LUCK with the Bar Exam. I took it two years ago and it is (not to freak you out) a pretty hellish time. I basically subsisted on take out and five hour energy shots (clearly, I took the healthy approach...). It's great that you're setting aside time to work out and maintain your exercise routine. Way to go!!
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options

This.

I go for coffee in the morning than diet pop later in the day when needed. I find the diet pop helps me avoid going for a sweet snack later in the day as well.

This
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I hate coffee...don't like the taste or smell or any version of it. That said, caffeine doesn't actually help me all that much...too much caffeine just gives me a stomach ache. I find that other natural options are much better; green tea, kiwi fruit, Rhodiola supplement, and there are tons more out there. But, that said, if you like coffee, go for it.

oops, had to correct my spelling