dumbest epiphany ever

Options
So I've been sitting here flipping through a magazine and it just really hit me, no matter how hard I try I will probably never have the body of one of the magazine girls. I've known about the airbrushing that mags do, but holy crap. It really hit me like a truck that it's just so unattainable. *sigh*

Why in the world do magazines (and society) feel the need to put so much pressure on us by airbrushing these women to impossible standards?

f you have a minute to spare his video is really eye opening.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DXFqBbKhguQ

Replies

• uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    So I've been sitting here flipping through a magazine and it just really hit me, no matter how hard I try I will probably never have the body of one of the magazine girls. I've known about the airbrushing that mags do, but holy crap. It really hit me like a truck that it's just so unattainable. *sigh*

Why in the world do magazines (and society) feel the need to put so much pressure on us by airbrushing these women to impossible standards?

• CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    CRAZY! :noway:
  • chrix
    chrix Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think that's me. ........... um... where do I get that program?

I need the entire body disk set version 9.99 plus the upgrades (all they've got!)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

That was crazy, but it makes me feel better about myself! :smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, I had the same epiphany riding the subway reading some "fashion" mag. I realized it was:
    the same frickin' magazine every month. . .containing a:
    diet article
    spread of clothes I could never, ever, ever afford ("price available on request. . .seriously?")
    article about how to "please your man"
    spread of products that are too expensive, and are only shilled in order that advertisers will buy space in the magazine.

I quit the mags cold turkey. The phrase I've developed for the model shots is:
    " that is not a picture of a woman. It's a painting!":noway:
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm a hot biotch ok? We all are. The fact is, they are photoshopped, most of 'em are foreign and unreasonably (and unhealthily) underweight. They have meaningless lives where they're only loved for their skin - if it's the right shade, their eyes - whatever color they are today, their bones, i mean bone structure - which you can see through that magnificant skin tone, small boobs with perky nipples you can see right through their clothes (cause we all dress like that right). Their hair comes from some other person, they're airbrushed to be icons. Not born that way! My husband loves the one, oddly placed, huge dimple on my right thigh, how my hair looks in the morning, and that I know all his "spots". Gisele can come over anytime but I know he'll be begging her scrawny, conceited, vain, won't go muddin', always on the phone, etc, etc @$$ out in no time! Face it ladies, we're beautiful on the inside and we all mean something to the people around us! That can't be photoshopped!:flowerforyou:
  • lilnatn2
    lilnatn2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a hot biotch ok? We all are. The fact is, they are photoshopped, most of 'em are foreign and unreasonably (and unhealthily) underweight. They have meaningless lives where they're only loved for their skin - if it's the right shade, their eyes - whatever color they are today, their bones, i mean bone structure - which you can see through that magnificant skin tone, small boobs with perky nipples you can see right through their clothes (cause we all dress like that right). Their hair comes from some other person, they're airbrushed to be icons. Not born that way! My husband loves the one, oddly placed, huge dimple on my right thigh, how my hair looks in the morning, and that I know all his "spots". Gisele can come over anytime but I know he'll be begging her scrawny, conceited, vain, won't go muddin', always on the phone, etc, etc @$$ out in no time! Face it ladies, we're beautiful on the inside and we all mean something to the people around us! That can't be photoshopped!:flowerforyou:

Amen!! Thank you for that.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, I had the same epiphany riding the subway reading some "fashion" mag. I realized it was:
    the same frickin' magazine every month. . .containing a:
    diet article
    spread of clothes I could never, ever, ever afford ("price available on request. . .seriously?")
    article about how to "please your man"
    spread of products that are too expensive, and are only shilled in order that advertisers will buy space in the magazine.

I quit the mags cold turkey. The phrase I've developed for the model shots is:
    " that is not a picture of a woman. It's a painting!":noway:

I SOOOOO AGREE. I refuse to buy them or to watch any of the shows that encourage women to look like models.....
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Options
    I have realized I too, am never going to look like anyone in a magazine. I just want to be healthy and be able to chase my kids!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    yup me too --feel the same way about magazines and models--but i have also come to the conclusion im not 16 yrs old any more and my body has changed. hey we are who we are

just here to be healthy and fit
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree!
    When I lived in California I made a delivery to a movie set and saw Cameron Diaz, she is 1.not as tall as she appears 2. she has deep acne scars on her face like I do!! This thrilled me (shallow I know) to see that Cameron Diaz doesn't even look like Cameron Diaz.
  • mholmes
    mholmes Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You are gorgeous! You kick Cameron's @$$ anyday! :wink:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Thanks! :blushing: