Standing Desk?

Options
So recently I've been reading about the advantages of a standing desk, which is basically a higher desk that you stand at to use the computer, work, or study, instead of sitting down. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried this? Right now I have an improvised set-up with my monitor on top of my printer, and my keyboard and mouse on stacks of textbooks. I want to try building a real standing desk, but before I invest in materials, I'd love to hear from someone who's tried it long-term. Did you find that it helped with weight loss? Was there a lot of foot/back pain?
Thanks!

Replies

• emsthethininme
    emsthethininme Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Anybody?
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I saw this on a program just this week. They weren't talking about weight loss. They were saying it is a healthier option because the human body is not designed to sit in a chair. It made sense. I would like to do it at work if I had a way to switch back and forth easily.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    add a treadmill and you're golden.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have a sit stand work station at my desk at work. When I want to stand I raise it up and when I am ready to sit I lower it down. I stand about 75% of the day and I have been using this for about a year now. I can't say that it has made a difference in weight loss but it has made a huge difference in my back/neck tension and posture. It also helps me in the afternoon slump time. I wouldn't want to go back to sitting all day after using this. I would love to have those that include the treadmill but my work doesn't offer that right now.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like sitting down.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    We had those when I worked phone reservations at Hertz years ago. I wasn't losing weight back then, but I really liked be able to stand up, stretch my legs, and move around more. If you can swing it, I would say it is worth doing.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    There are alleged to be a number of beneficial, metabolic health effects from standing instead of sitting. I don't know if weight loss is among them. But. I do know that if you do sit for work it is recommended that you stand up, and maybe walk just a bit, every 20 minutes.
    I had a boss who had a beautiful standing desk that he used daily. His had a rail so he could lift one leg and stand solely on the other periodically. He also had a stool so that at times, when he needed to, he could sit a bit.
    BTW, he was quite a trim guy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I usually like to stand when using the computer. If my desk was higher, I would like that even better. Maybe I will work on raising it. I usually sort of bend (with a straight back), and will lift one leg, so my foot is on the desk. But, I only use the computer for recreation (not a job).
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just set my desk up for standing today. We'll see how it goes :smile:

http://lifehacker.com/5735528/why-and-how-i-switched-to-a-standing-desk
  • PhD110
    PhD110 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    been using a standing desk for years.
    I don't know if it helps with weight- it's pretty negligible the diff bt standing and sitting.
    But it so much better for your back.

You don't need to pay extra for materials- use a bookshelf and adjust the shelves
    Or pile a few books or blocks on your regular desk or a dresser if you're at home.

Just make sure your keyboard is at 90 percent or more ( you aren't making an acute angle up.)
    You want the flow of blood to be going down your arms. Your hands will get tired if it's reaching up to the keyboard on long typing intensive tasks. really.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    No way am i going to go to work and have to stand up at a standing desk all day in order to use some calories. for one thing, i cannot do two things at once, stand and work. im not coordinated. whats worse is the treadmill desk.. you really have to have your total concentration on the treadmill or if you dont you can fall off and its not pretty when you get injured - i have!

no thank you to these fads.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I can't attest to it directly helping with weight loss, but I can say that I had a standing desk at my previous job (I was a retail manager and we literally were not allowed to sit on our 8 hour shifts without medical reason) and when I went from that to a sitting desk job, I put on 20lbs in less than 6 months with literally no other changes to lifestyle or eating habits. However, I also did a lot of walking throughout the day because half my job was out on the floor, so I don't think it was all attributed to the standing desk.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I have them at my work. Doesn't help with weight loss as far as I can see. And.......I very rarely even use it at the standing position.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have them at my work. Doesn't help with weight loss as far as I can see. And.......I very rarely even use it at the standing position.

If you don't actually use it, what are you basing your opinion on the lack of weight loss on? Not trying to be combative, just curious.
  • peachcats
    Options
    Posture/back muscles.
    My posture is ruined from 20 years of sitting at a desk 8+ hours a day. I should buy one.
    edit:
    Google offers standing desks to any employee that asks, Google is pretty on the ball so I would assume they're good for your health.
  • Fast_Track
    Fast_Track Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Standing desks are very expensive and at my work, they require a Dr's note. One option (that's far less expensive) is a sit-stand keyboard tray. I had mine installed earlier this week and I can already feel a difference in my legs and my core is more engaged. Granted, it's a little tiring at first, but you start to get used to it after a few days. It's nice because you can adjust it easily so that you can sit. Currently, I'm standing on average of 6-7 hours a day. I find that I have more energy throughout the day (and at home after work) I'm more focused as well.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I can use my laptop on my treadmill at a walk (home office). It adds up quick.

I also use a counter height desk when sitting and a saddle style chair, for back health.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk in my office at work; I alternate between standing and sitting, depending on my mood and how my back is feeling. It helps me stay focused, so I'll often shift to it if I am feeling drowsy or inattentive. I can't say I have noticed any effect on weight loss.

I bought the desk myself, but it was in fact marketed as a printer cart/table. It was pretty cheap, assemble-yourself furniture from Staples. I have another one at home, but it's being used as a printer cart.