So Sore!

Options
Ok so i've been jogging and doing some strenght training for the past 3 days and i am so sore! Everyday it gets even more sore....Should i continue to work through the soreness or rest until it dulls?

Replies

• PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a rest day between strength training days? What sort of strength workout are you doing?
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to stretch more before and after. Not sure if you are a Yoga person, but when I'm sore i love to stretch more and I will pull out the Yoga tapes. Stretching is so important. I also take Beachbody Recovery too when I know I've had an intense workout, but that is expensive. Push through it! No pain no gain!
  • SGruff7
    SGruff7 Posts: 6
    Options
    Food and rest is just as important as working out
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    So you are just starting a new program? It will be painful at first but it gets better in the 2nd week. When I started P90X I was in a lot of pain that first week. But I kept working through it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I don't ever stretch before jogging, but I always walk for 5-10 minutes at a good pace to get the blood flowing.

I ALWAYS stretch afterwards. Calves, hamstrings, quads. Occasionally hip flexors but mine are fairly flexible so not too often.

Also, you might just be pushing yourself a bit too hard. Try to vary the intensity of the runs. If you have one that is tough and leaves you a bit sore, ease up on the pace or mileage next time out and see if that helps.

I have some knee issues so I generally don't run on consecutive days, but I will hit the elliptical at the gym on off days, which I've found helps relieve some of the soreness.

Good luck!
  • leopardjunkie
    leopardjunkie Posts: 149
    Options
    take a warm bath in with 1-2 cups epsom salt and it will help relax the muscles.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I heard that you should not stretch before lifting weights, but you should warm up. However, I do stretch *after* lifting.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    take a warm bath in with 1-2 cups epsom salt and it will help relax the muscles.

Just make sure you hydrate with extra water if you do this! And also be sure you don't have high blood pressure. :)

But a warm bath feels wonderful on aching muscles. Warm up and stretch after working out.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

That is a bunch of BS, says the fibromyalgia sufferer. Pain is your body's way of smacking you across the face and saying 'YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG!' Especially if it gets worse as you continue your activity.

Take a rest day. I use yoga as my warm up before I do my cycling, which makes my less sore from exercise. Also the epsom salt bath is a very good idea. A long hot shower will also help you out.
  • LuckyMe000
    LuckyMe000 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! everyone at work keeps telling me to to rest until the soreness is gone but i don't want to get out of my groove....I have been just pushing through it!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You're just starting so of course you're going to be sore. It'll go away. You can load up on potassium before working out (eat a banana or take supplements). After your workout, stretch a bit and have a warm bath.
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    Sounds like you've got the DOMS! (Delayed-onset muscle soreness). If you're not used to using your muscles in a certain way, they can get pretty cranky.

Make sure to drink LOTS of water! And as long as it's not a tendon or bone injury, the best way to get the soreness to go away is to keep exercising. I usually find that after an intense lifting session when I get DOMS a nice easy jog (not on the same day because I am lazy, lol) will loosen me up after I get warm. Resting really doesn't do anything but make my muscles tighter.

You will probably stop being crazy sore after about a week or two.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Stretch stretch stretch! And YES on the epsom salts. Eat an extra protein snack after working out, too. All of these things have helped me.

The more you keep at it, the less soreness with be a problem. Incentive! :)
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Usually 2nd day DOMS is the worst for me, especially after leg day (ouch). Do active warm ups before and static stretching after a workout. Take cool showers instead of warm after your workout and make sure you have plenty of protein to repair your muscles. A protein supplement within 30 minutes of your workout is a good idea. Amino supplements seem to help some too. A light jog or walk will also get the blood flowing and lessen the symptoms. This is especially useful the next day. Just take it easy between workouts so you avoid over-training injuries.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! everyone at work keeps telling me to to rest until the soreness is gone but i don't want to get out of my groove....I have been just pushing through it!

Yeah, for me (with the running especially), a little slow-paced warm up jog at the beginning of your next work out makes it feel much better!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Food and rest is just as important as working out
    [/quote

Yep. Like someone else said, make sure you stretch before and after working out.
  • elisew34
    elisew34 Posts: 27
    Options
    I've recently started running and have felt the same on quite a few days. Hubby has been doing his running and fitness for years in the Military and always tells me off if I say I'm sore after running. Apparently I'm not stretching enough before and after a run he says and after watching some youtube vids on proper stretching I painfully have to admit he's right (that really hurts! lol).
    I guess it's different for everyone, it's tricky for me as I get a lot of aches and joint pain due to Fibromyalgia but logic would tell me that if I've done a couple of days running then I need to have at least one full day of resting before contemplating doing more.

I do find that a hot bath and a couple of paracetamol work well though :smile: