i know they say stomach fat is last to go but come on!

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the comments....

The 'i've been fighting my tummy fat for 3 years and still nothing' scares me. Also the health issue ones. I may book a doctors appoinment just to get checked out anyway.

In response to some questions, i do ab exercises but i know this wont make any difference until the fat has gone (which is my problem in the first place)

I will stick to low carbs over the next month and add in some heavy lifting see where that gets me :)

I strongly suggest you switch your goals from physique based to performance based. In my experience (anecdotal though it may be), the people who look the absolute best aren't the ones training to look a certain way. The people who look the best are the ones involved in serious physical competitions who train to excel at them. Train for go, and the show will follow suit.
  • Wuffles70
    Wuffles70 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My stomach fat will not budge, i know they say it's patience and usually the last to go but i'm getting really fed up and worried that i'm going to have it forever (my dad has a large belly too)

Apologies if this sounds horrendously blunt, I mean no disrespect. Your dad is a man old enough to have an adult daughter - that's probably where his belly comes from! Your mother, aunts etc are a much better reflection of what your body is going to do. Even if you ARE genetically predisposed to tummy fat, there is stuff you can do though! I've found that cutting out fizzy drinks and gum, doing sports that involve a focus on stretching and posture like yoga, eating wholemeal and making sure that I get enough carbs but don't go over all help make me look more toned round the middle. Play around with it a bit and see what works for you. :)
  • Sid1988
    Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My stomach fat will not budge, i know they say it's patience and usually the last to go but i'm getting really fed up and worried that i'm going to have it forever (my dad has a large belly too)

Apologies if this sounds horrendously blunt, I mean no disrespect. Your dad is a man old enough to have an adult daughter - that's probably where his belly comes from! Your mother, aunts etc are a much better reflection of what your body is going to do. Even if you ARE genetically predisposed to tummy fat, there is stuff you can do though! I've found that cutting out fizzy drinks and gum, doing sports that involve a focus on stretching and posture like yoga, eating wholemeal and making sure that I get enough carbs but don't go over all help make me look more toned round the middle. Play around with it a bit and see what works for you. :)

no that wasn't blunt at all, i'm just worried i have my dads genes and will have this belly forever! my mum on the other was very slim, i feel like i've got a bit of both of them but unfortunately my dads belly!

The problem is, i have used fad diets on and off since i can remember and i have never really put 100% in to changing my body, i have been a member of MFP for a year exactly and i have lost 22lbs over that time but that has been on and off a few times, letting myself slip up, a few months of no exercise etc and i know if i tried harder i could already be better but now i am so focused and determined to achieve BIG results and i will put in 120% effort and hope i will start seeing some positive changes in my body and hopefully a year from now be writing to other people with my same problem telling them how i did. so here's to hoping, hard work and changes (and hoping this belly does actually shift!)
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'd say carry on with what you're doing, although you might want to try out the Flat Belly Diet (by Liz Vaccariello). It's super easy to follow and really works.

no such thing as a "flat belly diet" that will target the stomach area....

But hey if you want to do this, then I would recommend the "the unicorn and fairy diet"

the unicorn and fairy diet is fantastic!

Where do you buy unicorns and fairies ... and how do you cook them?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I get the pregnant belly look as well, and two things really help, apart from losing fat:

2. Bloating. If I eat too much sodium, don't chew my food properly, drink too little water, or mess with my gut in any way, it goes straight to my waistline and I blow up like a balloon! I don't even get any discomfort from it, it just stretches out my belly. A good day for digestion vs a bad day can be as much as 2 inches difference in my gut. So it might help if you check if anything you're eating is bloating you up?

^^^This

I started taking a probiotic, and I try to limit dairy to 1 cup a day, and it has helped A LOT. I must have a touch of a dairy intolerance. Also artificial sweeteners have the same effect, as to fiberous veggies. I still eat everything, I just make sure I take my probiotic every day, and also if I am gearing to put a bikini on I'll limit all that stuff a week beforehand. It all helps.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had 'pregnant belly' I cut wheat and went gluten free.. actually cut all carbs at first then slowly re-introduced them but using gluten free bread instead of regular, brown rice instead of white etc and have kept the weight off. I've lost 4st and gone from 12st 7to 9st 7 and have underactive thyroid and mobility problems too so limited exercise wise.
  • kristinhardesty
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer because I have the same problem. It's so embarassing to me because I've got athletic looking arms and legs...but I still have a gut. It looks so weird. I worked my butt off to lose all this weight and I STILL can't wear a bikini. It makes me really upset but I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and hope that it will all come together eventually.

I have this problem too! I worked my *kitten* off. I lost 20 lbs. I can see my freaking ribs! And then bam! belly! makes me want to freakin cry.
  • zeke1964
    zeke1964 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nice post !
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer because I have the same problem. It's so embarassing to me because I've got athletic looking arms and legs...but I still have a gut. It looks so weird. I worked my butt off to lose all this weight and I STILL can't wear a bikini. It makes me really upset but I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and hope that it will all come together eventually.

sounds just like me!! Hate the belly!
  • Meadowscys
    Meadowscys Posts: 1
    Options
    When you say low carb.........
    What types of food did you eliminate?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Ladies!
    If you have a preggo belly that won't go away... if losing weight makes it look bigger, not smaller... If when you lie on your back, it bulges up instead of flattening out... It may not be fat. It may be your uterus. Please go see your gyno.
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i've heard that dr oz endorses the unicorn and fairy diet. should i try it?

(sorry, couldn't resist :laugh: )
  • kirk_clawson
    kirk_clawson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    the unicorn and fairy diet is fantastic!

Where do you buy unicorns and fairies ... and how do you cook them?

Fairy kebabs on a unicorn-horn skewer.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I'd say carry on with what you're doing, although you might want to try out the Flat Belly Diet (by Liz Vaccariello). It's super easy to follow and really works.

no such thing as a "flat belly diet" that will target the stomach area....

But hey if you want to do this, then I would recommend the "the unicorn and fairy diet"

Totally untrue! There are certain foods that promote reduction of bloating, and inflammation in the belly region. For a lot of people who eat these foods, and avoid others lose that last layer of fat that hides the abs. You can crunch all day, but if you don't get rid of that inflammatory response you'll never see the hard work you put in. Mono unsaturated fats in your diet are important for this. MUFAs (healthy fats) are very important in to this issue. Here is a great place to look for more info. http://voices.yahoo.com/mufa-diet-shop-mufa-foods-2425652.html Dr. Andrew Weil is big on anti-inflammatory foods too. Also Dr. Alejandro Junger is about clean eating, and anti-inflammatory foods as well.
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Same here..... shoulders, neck, face, arms(only a little bit more to go on them) have little to no fat left. Stomach and legs still need to go away, that's where the last 70 lbs are. But in all honesty the stomach has gone down, almost to the point that I'm actually liking what I see in the mirror, at least with clothes on:laugh:
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you, almost the same age. I have always had a bit of a stomach, even when i was 128lbs.

Have you tried cutting out gluten?
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    patience Grasshoppahh...when it DOES goooo we ganna have a pahhhteeeee! it WILL go!!!!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I honestly would suggest dance/zumba that highly engages the core. I have found the best results for losing tummy fat by this method, things that have also worked for me in the past was pilates and planks, they were pretty effective as well.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    post some pics btw...lets see how much fat u got left..it may not be sooooo bad