What kind of exercise for someone who hates to workout?

Options
I know that seems like a dumb question...lol. I'm really not a fan of working out, at least not yet...I hear that it's addicting though.

What would you recommend I start with? I know I really need to get off my butt and do some real exercise!

Replies

• columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    2-5 knee push ups every commercial for an hour 1 x a week and work your way up.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Walk. Just walk. It's easy and it's free. I recommend you listen to something on an iPod or whatever while you walk. Some people like audiobooks, some just music. I like comedy and sports podcasts.

Walk for at least 20 minutes, as fast as you can comfortably go. Try to walk for 40-50 minutes though, but build up to it over time. Try to go every day, within reason. Maybe give yourself a day off or at the most, two per week. You will find that you speed up and walk further as the weeks pass.

I hated exercise. I hated walking. But within a few months I found that I actually enjoyed it. It also greatly improved my mood (Mrs 12 could tell if I hadn't been for my daily walk by my mood when she got home!). Eventually, I even caught myself walking without headphones on and thinking "how did that happen"?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I agree with walking. Get outside. Get fresh air. Listen to nature, or listen to music. Take a camera. Or a dog. Or a friend. Or any combination of the previous.

Take a peak on Google Maps. That's how I found a lot of the trails I walk, hike and run now. I thought my fairly suburban neighborhood was nothing but roads, sidewalks and traffic until I started exploring a bit. Now I know where to find steep wooded trails, or scenic views along a creek, or where I'm likely to spot geese, ducks, herons and turkeys, all starting less than a mile from home. Even sticking to the sidewalks, I can appreciate the sights and smells of people's gardens.
  • tamrod2
    tamrod2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. I find that moving in an activity that you enjoy is the key...for example I like tennis, walking and swimming. For the times where you are doing traditional exercise having an IPOD with music that makes you MOVE is essential in my book!!!
  • TessaMaddox
    TessaMaddox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes to the walking! When I started, I did nothing but walk. Didn't even try for anything more strenuous. As I went on, walking became not enough, so I started jogging, first on treadmill for pacing, then outside. Now, I jog, do Jillian Michaels workouts and started Insanity yesterday. And I love to work out now. It's all about pacing yourself and trying not to do too much at once. :-)
  • alexisschmitt
    Options
    I hate running. Hate, hate, hate it with a passion. It irritates me.

That being said... I paid $4 for the Zombies, Run! c210k program on my iphone. Now I'm excited to go run because I get to hear more of the story.

I also find Zumba fun - it's like doing a workout video with a room full of people, and a teacher (if you're lucky) who is really encouraging and high-energy.
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Walk or do something that you enjoy so you don't feel like it's "working out" - i.e rollerblading.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was going to say Zumba too! That is what I started off with. It is a lot of fun and a GREAT workout. Just like other people said walking and biking is another good workout.

It is true.......working out is addicting. I hated it when I started. Now I miss it when I don't workout for a day.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Walk, swim, ride a bike. Something that will get your outside so you won't get bored.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    DITTO! I HATE working out! I have found aquasize is not so much like working out, I bike with my daughter, I walk while she plays soccer. Still can't realy enjoy it but I know I have to do it or I will be a big/old/fat moma forever!
  • mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Zumba is pretty funnn!! :) Especially if you have the wii/xbox/ps3 versions, just because it is kind of fun to get the score at the end and feel like you were playing a game that whole time!
  • beautifulctb
    beautifulctb Posts: 100
    Options
    Zumba :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Usually posts like these seem like a lack of imagination to me. I mean, anything you do for 30-40 mins continuously can amount to exercise. Okay, maybe jogging or lugging iron around a gym doesn't appeal to you but how about....

biking
    kayaking
    rowing
    walking
    rock climbing
    hiking
    volleyball
    basketball
    swimming
    boxing
    martial arts
    tennis
    zumba/dancing
    yoga

The list goes on and on to infinity. If you can't find something you enjoy doing out of all the possibilities in the world then I don't have much for you.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Take a class for something you've never done before - a dance class (bellydancing, Bollywood, hip hop, ballet, etc., etc., etc.), tennis, kayaking, pilates, yoga. Stick it out with the whole class session (however many classes that is) before you decide you don't like it. Most of us don't like something when we don't feel like we know what we're doing. Stick with something for a few weeks. If you still don't like it - try something else.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You need to be around people to get into it. Zumba, yoga, pilates, etc. You love exercise - you just don't know it yet. :)
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You need to be around people to get into it. Zumba, yoga, pilates, etc. You love exercise - you just don't know it yet. :)