celexa?

Options
I am on day 5 of taking celexa (20mg) for PTSD and high anxiety. Just wondering if anyone has experience---pros? cons? I did a lot of research before taking it and I saw so many weight gain subjects. The first/second day of taking it--I just felt a little weird...now it seems that all--if any--sides have all gone away. Somehow I thought that the weight gain was just because some people who were on it for antidepression probably felt a TON better---so started eating normally again? I have no idea.

Anyone?

Replies

• mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't take celexa, but i take its sister drug Lexapro, which had fewer side effects for me (other than yawning all of the time, regardless of if I was tired).

I think what happens is when you're depressed the joy of things is not there. Sometimes, an antidepressant can bring back the joy of eating things that taste good when otherwise they were very blah. I can see that bringing on weight gain.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I was one Celexa in my teens for depression. I didn't experience much of any side effects, except that it made me a little twitchy. I agree with you that the weight gain might be because those coming out of the depression are feeling better and eating better. I didn't experience any weight gain, but then again, food wasn't part of my depression. I didn't eat more or less when I was depressed than when I wasn't.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I took it exactly once and it rendered me completely useless.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I used to be on Celexa. I loved it! I wasn't as moody on it and didn't get stressed out over the smallest thing. I'm not sure if I gained weight on it or not though because I always ate a lot anyway. I'm on Welbutrin now though in case I get pregnant.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You may want to discuss with your doctor about being put on something else for PTSD treatment. According to the FDA only 2 drugs are approved for the treatment of PTSD and the group of drugs that offer the greatest benefit to those with the condition are the SSRI drugs ex: zoloft, paxil, and prozac.

I'm taking Prozac now along with 4-5 other medications (complicated PTSD here) and it's helped a lot better than the other drugs I was put on for treating the nightmares I get associated with PTSD. It also helps to go to a psychiatrist that actually has experience in or, specializes in the treatment for PTSD.

ETA: the two drugs approved by the FDA for the treatment of PTSD are Zoloft, and Paxil.
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I took Celexa from at 14-24. 10 years of my life. If I ran out of my pills, after one day I would have terrible withdraw symptoms.

I later found out I was mus-diagnosed as well, and ended up having to take a low dosage of it through my entire pregnancy because otherwise my body was going to go into hard core withdraw., and they were worried about my daughter.

In my opinion, try and stay away from SRRI inhibitors, if you can. If you cannot, proceed with cation. There are other drugs out there that aren't SRRI's that work as well (Welbutrin).
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Ooops! double post, sorry!
  • mandiam
    mandiam Posts: 109
    Options
    VERY good to know about the PTSD. i have an appointment in a couple of weeks, i am going to bring it up. thanks!
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm on Celexa right now and it seems to be working pretty well. I didn't notice any weight gain side effects. I did notice that I wasn't in the "mood" as much and it was much more difficult for me to get, ummm, satisfaction. :blushing: But those side effects went away after I was taking it a couple of months.