Upper body help

Options
Anyone on here have or has had a shoulder injury and know some good upper body workouts that won't kill the shoulder? I've been doing excersises to strengthen it, but as the doctor said there isn't much I can do about it unless I chose to get surgery. I'm just tired of doing 3 pounds on the exercises as I feel they aren't doing anything for me except protecting my shoulder.

Replies

• aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    yea i messed up my shoulder a few years ago. i just started real low weight and real slow until it was back to normal..took a while
  • rljohnsufl
    rljohnsufl Posts: 48
    Options
    You should probably get a second opinion. There has to be something you can do short of surgery to help your shoulders.

Here's my 2 cents...I had bicep tendonitis from swimming too much. The pain was in the front of the shoulder. My PT had me doing rotator cuff exercises, YTI, and planks (google them). Lots of emphasis on helping the shoulder to stay stable. Also, she wanted me to be more conscious of keeping my shoulders back to reduce "winging".

The thing is about these exercises, is that they target small muscle groups, so you have to use light weights with them. I thought they were meant as a bridge to doing more traditional upper body exercises. Now I'm doing more traditional upper body exercises such as pushups, assisted pullups, bench press, etc. with no shoulder pain. YMMV.
  • iamgonnamakeit
    Options
    Resistance bands helped me. High reps at leat 3 different angles.