easy breakfast scrambles

Options
geekyjen
geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
I just made (well, for the third day in a row :) the most delicious breakfast scramble.
I start with a carton of egg whiles and a non-stick pan so I don't worry about greasing the pan (though if i had to, i'd use the olive oil spray).

3 Egg Whites 51 calories
1/4 Avocado 60 calories
1/4 cup Trader Joe's - Cottage Cheese Fat Free, 35 calories
2 Tbsp Pico De Gallo Salsa 5 calories
Total Calories: 151

By using pico de gallo I get fresh tomato and onion without having to chop things up. Saves time and a mess.
So good, very low calorie and low fat (most of the fat is avocado which is good fat) and took maybe 5 minutes to cook.
Just thought I'd share.

Let me know if you have favorite things you like to throw in your scrambles.

Replies

• jonsie3488
    jonsie3488 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make a variation of this all the time...baby spinach is a great addition to this as well!!
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty good, I may have to try that next weekend. This weekend I just had regular Egg Beaters sprinkled with a little 2% milk shredded cheddar and tabasco, on a toasted wheat sandwich thin. I recently found this good bean dip (Guiltless Gourmet) that made a nice spicy spread.

I assume by "carton of egg whites" you mean Egg Beaters whites-only, or similar? I've always been curious, if regular Egg Beaters are cholesterol free already, what is the advantage to the whites-only version? I prefer the regular, because it makes me feel more like I'm eating real eggs. But if there is a distinct health advantage from whites-only, I could switch. TIA
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Go to www.hungry-girl.com and Search for Egg Mug. Lots of variations that are great! And they are done in the microwave so super fast!
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    excellent. when i'm more rushed for time i usually do my egg whites in the microwave and toast a high fiber english muffin (either orowheat double fiber or the thomas better start ones) with a piece of low-fat cheese.

Max_power, i do mean the all whites from egg beaters, though sometimes i'll buy trader joe's brand or whatever they carry wherever i shop that week. It's totally a matter of taste to me. I assume there is some dye and maybe some sodium difference, but I bet it's nominal and if you prefer the better 'n eggs or egg beaters or whatever then stick with them. A couple years ago I started preferring the whites and so that's what I use :)
  • Max_Power
    Max_Power Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Max_power, i do mean the all whites from egg beaters, though sometimes i'll buy trader joe's brand or whatever they carry wherever i shop that week. It's totally a matter of taste to me. I assume there is some dye and maybe some sodium difference, but I bet it's nominal and if you prefer the better 'n eggs or egg beaters or whatever then stick with them. A couple years ago I started preferring the whites and so that's what I use :)

That could be true, I still have a hard time remembering to look at other things besides calories and fat! I'll have to compare labels directly next time I'm at the store, and maybe give the whites-only a try. Thanks.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    All these microwave recipes for egg whites -- do they work as well if you use whole eggs?