So discouraged after weighing in

Options
I started using herbalife every other day for a week and lost 11 lbs I wasn't even trying to lose the weight I just thought the shakes were good and they gave me energy. Losing that made me feel like i really could get the weight off ( I'm 5'3 156 with three kids ) So I decided to step it up and I am doing herbalife every day for breakfast and low fat low cal high protein diet for the rest of the day averaging about 1300 -1400 cal a day ( I'm breastfeeding cant really go much lower without jeopardizing my milk) and Im walking 20-45 min a day and doing the 30 day shred daily I weighed myself today thinking I lost another 10 lbs with all the hard work im doing and I only lost 1/2 a lb I want to cry!
I get overwhelmed really easy i think that's why I didn't try before but losing that 11 lbs made me feel like I could do it now I just feel like Ill never get there and don't understand what Im doing wrong.

Replies

• blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been at a weight loss plateau for 3 months now and I have no idea how to fix it. Don't get discourage. Maybe your not eating enough calories. You have to play around with it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 3 and breastfeeding, I would assume you aren't eating enough.

Give this a read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Also, have you spoken with a nutritionist who works with breastfeeding mothers about using a meal supplement?
  • kellymill2
    kellymill2 Posts: 21
    Options
    do measurements not the scale. you will see a difference.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1) 11lbs in a week is a lot.....I've never lost that much in one week.
    2) weight loss doesn't happen at a steady rate.
    example:
    sx0sab.jpg
    3) if you just started working out, your body is probably holding on to water to repair your muscles.
    4) Healthy weight loss is 1-2lbs a week, but don't expect 2lbs a week unless you are 50+ lbs overweight or taking drastic (possibly unhealthy) routes
    5) Keep in mind that it is said " A person who loses weight quickly is more likely to gain the weight they lost back and the person who loses weight slowly is less likely to gain it back."
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    So - you lost 11 lbs in one week, and are mad you only lost 1/2 lb this week....how much do you think you can really lose every week and be healthy? I don't mean to sound brash but you really should not be upset. You lost more in 1 week than most people can lose in 2 months.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options

sx0sab.jpg

Did you make this yourself or is this an app from fitbit
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    1) I agree, please check out the thread ^^^ In place of a road map. I don't think you are eating enough either, especially if you are breastfeeding.

2) I am NOT a doctor or a mom, but I wouldn't recommend taking a meal supplement like herbalife while breastfeeding, I think your body would do a lot better with real whole foods. The would probably satisfy you better also, and it would be MUCH cheaper.

3) You lost half a pound! I know it isn't much but be proud of your loss so far. It takes time. You didn't say how long it's been but 1/2 pound a week is really good progress, especially since you don't have too much to lose.

4) Also, you lost 11 pounds total! That's amazing. It won't be like that every week, it can't, your body can't sustain it. I tend to lose 3 or 4 pounds at once, with about a month in between losses. It averages out to a pound a week.

Look at your overall progress, 11 pounds is great work. Just keep working and realize that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    Don't get discouraged!

It's possible you're not eating enough, especially if you're breast feeding, but what I'd like to ask you is, how do you feel? Do you feel better about yourself? Do you look better when you look in a mirror?

If you're walking and doing 30 Day Shred, you might be gaining muscle, so even though there isn't a big weight difference you still may have lost some fat!

I would suggest keeping measurements of the rest of your body and not just your weight. That way you can see if you've lost inches which are way more important in my book anyway. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

sx0sab.jpg

Did you make this yourself or is this an app from fitbit

Made it myself using excel.
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi, there
    I understand your frustration. Right now, though, just nurse. Nursing in itself burns around 500 cals a day, depending on how much. Just feed your baby, and relax. I went through the same thing. Relax and know that you are doing the best thing ever for your baby. If you focus on weight loss while nursing by cutting/counting calories it could mess with your milk supply. Don't be so hard on yourself. You have time.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I incorporated HIIT after hitting my weight loss plateau in addition to upping my calories by 50-100. I also regularly eat two bowls of yogurt a day and I lost 0.25 inches on my waistline, which is a HUGE deal for me. Hope this helps ladies. :smile:
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    First I would like to encourage you to get off of the herbalife shakes.... They are not a permanent solution unless you truely believe that you will do them the rest of your life.

My personal experience with them (many years ago) was that they caused a very bad blood sugar spike, and although I lost weight while using them, it did some damage to my insulin production. I already have Type II diabetes in the family, so I'm sure that played a role, however, anything that can cause a spike like that is not a good way to go.

The nutrients that you are getting from these shakes is not really the type of nutrients that needs to be passed onto your baby through nursing, so even if you feel they are the way for you to go, think about the baby and his/her needs.

A good balanced diet, and a good amount of exercise is the healthiest and easiest life style change you can make for yourself, and pass along to the little one.

JUST IMHO.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think you're undereating, especially given that you're breastfeeding and active. Are you logging your exercise and breastfeeding and eating the extra calories MFP gives you?
  • jenniferchlebik
    Options
    I guess I should have added that baby is already 8 months and on some solids too I waited till that to try and lose weight. I like the idea of measurements instead of weight I will do that instead
  • jenniferchlebik
    Options
    I am adding breastfeeding and exercise to mfp to eat the extra calories
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm confused...are you taking supplements while breast feeding? Is that safe?

My only guess would be to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats (for brain function).. eat your daily amount of protein..maybe up your carbs??

I don't know what kind of work outs you are doing..

I have a nutritionist friend I could refer you to.
  • jenniferchlebik
    Options
    So - you lost 11 lbs in one week, and are mad you only lost 1/2 lb this week....how much do you think you can really lose every week and be healthy? I don't mean to sound brash but you really should not be upset. You lost more in 1 week than most people can lose in 2 months.

Its not that I'm mad just don't understand why I stopped losing when I started trying
  • jenniferchlebik
    Options
    I'm confused...are you taking supplements while breast feeding? Is that safe?

My only guess would be to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats (for brain function).. eat your daily amount of protein..maybe up your carbs??

I don't know what kind of work outs you are doing..

I have a nutritionist friend I could refer you to.

Im only doing there formula1 meal shake and vitamin supplements no weight loss accelerators while breastfeeding.
  • BernaBea
    BernaBea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! The biggest battle with weight loss is NOT TO GIVE UP ON YURSELF. It takes time. I have been at it for 4 months and have lost 32 pounds. I maintain a 1200 calorie diet and workout 5 days a week. I hit a weight loss plateau for 3 1/2 weeks. To get over that I cut out all grains, bread, pasta and dairy. Now I am back on track and working on my last ten pounds. Take a before pic in your bikini and compare it once a month! You will be shocked by the difference! I had a baby and believe it is possible to get back to my pre baby body! The very most important piece of weight loss is to NO GIVE UP ON YOURSELF and have ONLY one cheat meal a week! Good luck. Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • jenniferchlebik
    Options
    I incorporated HIIT after hitting my weight loss plateau in addition to upping my calories by 50-100. I also regularly eat two bowls of yogurt a day and I lost 0.25 inches on my waistline, which is a HUGE deal for me. Hope this helps ladies. :smile:

what is HIIT