Couch to 5K

Options
Has anyone ever done this program and if so, how did you log your exercise?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I enter a new workout using the calories that the app shows I burned. If you're not using a Couch to 5k app, log as jogging.
  • IamDoe
    IamDoe Posts: 24
    Options
    I figure up approximately how far i jog during jog phases to figure out how many minutes per mile... then i log jogging time and walking time.
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    I add up the total walking minutes and log those, and then add up the total jogging minutes (estimating the speed) and log those.
  • MemphisGirl75
    MemphisGirl75 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use the endomondo app while doing C25K and it syncs with MFP. MFP logs it as walking, 4 mph.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor for all my exercise, so I use that for my calories burned. I also really love the Zombies, Run! 5K training app. I like the story and characters.
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I took my distance, and figure out my pace and logged it accordingly. so I went from 3.5 walk to now I run 5.5mph. The longer your intervals become the fast the speed you log. I'm currently in Week 7, so I'm actually logging 25 minutes of jogging.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I add up the total walking minutes and log those, and then add up the total jogging minutes (estimating the speed) and log those.

I did it this way as well, but then created a new exercise which I called C25k and inputted the totals.
  • LLStover09
    LLStover09 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use a HR monitor and usually use the treadmill so it's not an issue but there is a free app called Run Keeper that is ment to use outdoors. Just turn on your GPS and it tracks your miles, pace, etc. Not sure if it's 100% but seems pretty accurate. Good luck!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

I did it this way as well, but then created a new exercise which I called C25k and inputted the totals.
    That's what I do. Used mapmyrun to calculate my pace, then used a couple different online calculators to get my calories burned based on my pace. Now I have Crista-C25K Walking and Crista-C25K Jogging, and I can figure out the minutes based on what day of the program I'm on.

ETA: It's actually easier than it sounds. Also, I used to use Runkeeper, but I found that it wasn't as accurate on trails or anything that wasn't actually a road. I found Mapmyrun to be better, but that's my preference.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just picked a random cardio option (Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog) in the list and change the minutes and enter the cals from my heart rate monitor. I do use the notes section to denote which week/day I'm on and random things I may need to remember later.

I know its not totally accurate to what I did, but there isn't a "run, really slow" option in the list. I'm more interested in my minutes and calorie burn in terms of progress.
  • Akdn
    Akdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used Runtastic which also syncs to MFP. I set it for walking until I was running more then walking, then i set it to running. Now I use a HRM to log my exercises. Good luck with the program it's great =)
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am currently on Couch 2 5K. I love it. I use the app on my iphone. Zen Labs.

I have been at it for almost 2 months. I was not a runner. Never had been. I have been taking my time with it, and advancing when I feel I can. I am on Week 3, Day 2.

I have went from hating the THOUGHT of running, to loving to run and seeing how much further I can push myself.

I do recommend the program. 100%
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I enter a new workout using the calories that the app shows I burned. If you're not using a Couch to 5k app, log as jogging.

Which app do you use? When I searched for the app on my iPhone it showed me a TON of them and I didn't know which one to choose. My app does not give me calorie burn. :frown:
  • takers65
    takers65 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I am starting the program this evening after work! I'm actually excited about it and I never get excited about running!! :)
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just completed it last night. Ran 5K, not officially measured or timed, but it was a little over 3 miles.

10 weeks ago or so I ran a mile to see if I could and I did but it was very painful. Got this program, followed it and did P90X on days I didn't run.

I used the Zen labs C25K Free version.

I got good running shoes from a running store. I eventually got a good HRM (polar FT7). I was getting some rubbing on one of my feet. Got running socks and it hasn't been a process since.

I have a goal to participate in some RunDisney events.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Which app do you use? When I searched for the app on my iPhone it showed me a TON of them and I didn't know which one to choose. My app does not give me calorie burn. :frown:

I use C25K by RunDouble. The first 2 weeks are free, then it's $1.59 for the upgrade. I have an android phone, but I'm sure it's available for iPhone too.
  • emily487
    emily487 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm doing C25K. I tried the free Zen labs app but didn't like it. The Active.com app is better, it's only $2.99 on Google Play Store, I believe... definitely worth the $3 for me. It tells you when to walk and run and tells you your running pace & distance vs walking pace & distance, with graphs and stuff to track your total distance/pace.

ETA: I have an Android phone. I'm not sure which apps are also available on iPhone.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I used my smartphone with a gps and and an app to track. its fairly accurate.