Fave Paleo recipes.....

Options
mommamills
mommamills Posts: 437
I just started eating Paleo this week and it's been going really great! Even made my own ketchup last night! Looking for your favorite paleo recipes!!! Anything quick? I want it! Anything yummy? Def want it! Ready? Go! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• haleyc77
    haleyc77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Nothing fancy but a favorite is cooking couple slices bacon, grilled chicken(or other meat) in some of the bacon fat, throw in veggies and scallions, mix 1 whole egg with 2 serving liquid egg white and once things are cooked pour egg mix in and on low let it sit till can flip and enjoy! meat, veggies, eggs, doesnt get much easier. Sometimes ill throw an ounce or two of sweet potato in the mix or some avocado on the side.

fave also- bunless burgers, stir fry of any kind.
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am a Paleo wannabe. I dabble in it. My FAVORITE recipe (which I made tonight!):

Pork Carnitas

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/04/29/stovetop-pork-carnitas/

I have streamlined the recipe to mesh better with working mom/easier cleanup and less fat.

Use boneless pork loin and trim all silverskin and as much fat as you can get off. I suppose pork tenderloin would work too.
    Cook in a crockpot, with a crockpot liner. Only add the lemon and lime juices (or just lime like I did tonight) and NO other liquid. Cook on high until fall apart tender. Pick, shred, strain juices and mix them back into the meat.

I served it tonight as a deconstructed taco: Carnitas, vinegar based cabbage slaw with red onion, bell pepper with a teensy bit of corn--and avocado!

ETA They are not crispy like true carnitas but hey, I don't have to scrub a pan.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Paleo Chicken Fajitas

Fajitas are a classic in Tex-Mex cuisine and are adored universally by kids and adults alike. The classic fajita calls for skirt steak and is served with a choice of toppings over corn or flower tortilla, but this paleo take on the classic fajita meal is just as delicious without the tortilla. Today, fajitas are also commonly prepared with pork, chicken or shrimp and the usual vegetables include bell peppers and onions. Enjoy making a big batch and pleasing the whole family with this classic do it yourself dinner. This recipe serves about 5 people, but be sure to make more for leftovers.

Ingredients
    •3 lbs chicken breast, cut in thin strips;
    •3 bell peppers;
    •3 onions, sliced;
    •2 tbsp oregano, chili powder, cumin and coriander;
    •6 chopped garlic cloves;
    •Juice of 5 lemons;
    •4 tbsp cooking fat (coconut oil, tallow or ghee are excellent here);
    •Butter lettuce to serve;
    •You choice of toppings: diced tomatoes, fermented pickles, sauerkraut, sliced avocados, salsa, guacamole, mayonnaise and/or salsa verde;

Preparation
    1.Combine the chicken, bell peppers, onions, spices, garlic and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well;
    2.If preparing ahead of time, let marinate in the refrigerator for about 4 hours.
    3.When ready to cook, heat a large skillet on medium heat and cook the whole preparation with the cooking fat until the chicken is cooked through and the onion and bell pepper are soft.
    4.Put the hot chicken preparation in a large bowl and let the people prepare their own fajitas on top of lettuce leaves with their favorite toppings.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Bacon, spinach & mushroom casserole

This is a very simple dish all prepared in a single casserole and using some traditional favorites like bacon and mushrooms. Spinach brings everything together and helps create a very filling and savory dish. The rendered bacon grease created during the cooking process will help cook and give taste to the spinach and mushrooms.

Ingredients
    •2.5 lb good quality smoked bacon, cut into medium sized strips;
    •3 big handfuls of fresh spinach, stems removed;
    •1 lb button mushrooms, sliced;
    •1 large onion, chopped;
    •2 garlic cloves, minced;
    •2 tbsp lard, butter or ghee;
    •Salt and pepper to taste;

Preparation
    1.Heat a large casserole over a medium heat and cook the bacon, making sure it’s still soft.
    2.Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
    3.Add the garlic and cook for about a minute, until fragrant.
    4.Add the mushrooms and cook for about another 8 minutes, until soft.
    5.Add the spinach and butter, cover and let cook for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is well cooked.
    6.Season with salt and pepper and serve.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Canned salmon salad

It’s not because it comes from a can that you can’t prepare something really delicious out of canned salmon. After all, we are fortunate enough that farmed salmon doesn’t hold well to the canning process so we are blessed with an easy and cheap source of wild salmon your-round. In this recipe, I use olive oil and lemon juice, but homemade mayonnaise are also excellent.

Ingredients
    •2 cans wild salmon;
    •2 diced cucumbers, peeled or not;
    •1 chopped onion;
    •1 large diced tomato;
    •1 diced avocado;
    •5-6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil;
    •Juice of 2 lemons;
    •2 tbsp chopped fresh dill, optional;
    •Lettuce leaves for serving;

Preparation
    1.Drain the liquid from the canned salmon, place the salmon in a bowl and mash well with a fork.
    2.Add the lemon juice and olive oil and mix well into the salmon.
    3.Add the cucumbers, onion, tomato and avocado and mix again.
    4.Add the dill, if using, season with salt and pepper and serve the cold salad over lettuce leaves.
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Keep it coming

<-- I'm getting hungry!
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump! Awesome ideas!
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    While trying to find another website that I have made recipes from before, I found this one. Looks almost as good, if not better, than the other...
    http://www.paleoglutenfreerecipes.com/

Just made Dr. Andrew Weil's True Food Chocolate Icebox Tart tonight. Will have a piece tomorrow and see if it is any good. That cookbook, though not strictly Paleo, is an awesome one for ideas for paleo cooking.

Happy cooking!
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    Thanks thanks and THANKS!!!!!
  • laceylucas86
    laceylucas86 Posts: 120
    Options
    PALEO BUNS great for breakfast sandwiches with eggs ham and cheese or hamburgers super east.
    1/4 c greek yogurt (plain, any degree of fat)
    4 eggs,
    1/4 coconut flour
    1/4 ground flax
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 bsp honey
    mix it all up, let it set 5 minutes so coconut flour abosorbs some moisture, plop onto parchment paper in 6 equals globs (ice cream scoop works) or better yet pam 5 mini (4") wilton cake pans and divide between them, bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until set. cool and slice, NOM friggin love these, I often just divide it into 4ths and make one batch when I need it, can form it into hot dogs buns, spread out for pizza crust etc etc love this recipie
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I make these a lot

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/10/25/paleo-czech-meatballs/

Paleo Czech Meatballs
    Ingredients:
    1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon caraway seeds
    1 teaspoon ground paprika
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced (about 1/4 cup)
    1 tablespoon grainy mustard
    1 large egg
    2 pounds ground pork
    Directions:
    1. Mix all ingredients together until well blended and form into meatballs. I made them fairly-large – about 9 per pound of meat. (mostly because I get bored rolling meatballs. You could also make these burgers, but balls are more fun. [Heh. I said 'balls are more fun.'])

2. On the grill: Heat grill to high, then cook meatballs five minutes with lid closed, flip, and cook an additional five minutes, until nicely browned. In the oven: Preheat oven to 400F and cook 20 minutes or so. On the stovetop: Brown in a hot saute pan, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium-low until cooked through
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    paleomg is a FANTASTIC blog, she has AWESOME creative paleo recipes, check it out!

A paleo meal I made with two friends who are paleo (I don't do it but I like some of the tenets and use some recipes):
    grilled romaine with spicy lime dressing
    crab "ceviche" with mango and red pepper and tomatoes and avocado
    mashed sweet potatoes whipped with coconut milk and topped with pistachios and cranberries
    grilled pork loin (3 oz)

yummmmmmmm
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • aigoooooo
    aigoooooo Posts: 31
    Options
    Bacon, tomato, avocado, wrapped in lettuce. I'm simple. And love bacon.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thread! I'm trying to eat a bit more on the paleo side so I love these ideas!
    PALEO BUNS great for breakfast sandwiches with eggs ham and cheese or hamburgers super east.
    4 eggs,
    1/4 coconut flour
    1/4 ground flax
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 bsp honey

Oh, I'd love to try this! One questions... do you mean 1/4 cup coconut flour and ground flax? And 1 tsp honey?

Thanks!!
  • aubrie917
    aubrie917 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh..I just made the most amazing/easy dish! Steamed chilean sea bass and steamed spinach. I threw in half a tablespoon of coconut oil and some Mrs. Dash's lemon pepper seasoning. It was amazing!
  • laceylucas86
    laceylucas86 Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks for the thread! I'm trying to eat a bit more on the paleo side so I love these ideas!
    4 eggs,
    1/4 coconut flour
    1/4 ground flax
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 bsp honey

Oh, I'd love to try this! One questions... do you mean 1/4 cup coconut flour and ground flax? And 1 tsp honey?

Thanks!!

so sorry! it is 1/4 cup of coconut flour and ground flax, and 1 tbsp honey, you don't really need the honey thought if you are watching calories, it's just for falvour, depending on what I am making the buns for i just skip it, also can sprinkle chia seeds, or poppy seed and anything you like on top for pretty factor :)
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • joceemartinez84
    joceemartinez84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas! Bumping for later!
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump