Really need some support,advice,encouragement,something!

Options
Hey everyone. It's been a while since I posted on here. I am having a real hard time losing weight and inches right now. I've posted stuff before, and so I may copy and paste information. But basically I has lost up to 87 pounds last summer. I am 5'8. I was size 22, 250 pounds when I started my weight loss journey, I am currently a size 12 and I haven't weighed myself because I am afraid if I do, it will trigger old bad habits I used to have. But last I weighed myself, it fluctuated between 178-182. Last summer, I was fitting into 11's, even starting some 10s, my collar bone was so visible, and I weighed 165. I was so happy, but still flabby. I did insanity over the summer, but did not lose weight and stopped within 2 weeks left. I tried again a couple months ago, but I really couldn't afford to follow the meal plan. I'm seriously on a tight budget, I can't afford to eat 5-6 meals a day. It's a good workout, though, but I wanted to see results for working as hard as I was working. School started up again, and it was my first time living off campus. It was also my hardest year. I ended up gaining some weight back, though I did do weight training. But then, my clothes started to fit tighter. But butt was getting bigger, and I felt my belly was getting wider. My only cardio was walking when I arrived on campus, to be honest, and also taebo and zumba videos at least twice a week. Still, I managed to pack weight on. I did eat bad foods sometimes, but I mostly ate whole wheat, veggies,and fruits, and chicken/fish.

So I tried 30 day shred again recently, this time with 8-10 pound weights. I saw the before and afters people had withing 10-15 days....lower back fat, smaller stomach, strong arms. I take before/after pics, and NOTHING. No difference. I'm on day 21, and I like knowing I'm working out, but it makes me mad that people were able to lose and I'm not. I just want inches lost. I was to be a size 9-10. And it seems impossible right now. I have started incorporating it with zumba dvds. I just hope my clothes continue to fit tight on me, for whatever reason.

It really saddens me, because I've come a long way, and now things are backfiring on me. I'll be willing to take pictures to see if anybody has had a similar body shape/stomach like I do at one time in their life, and managed to get rid of it. I have pcos, but working out is supposed to help with that.

Any encouragement or thoughts would be so helpful. Thank you all.

Replies

• JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Have you considered/tried macros adjustment? You may need to reevaluate your carb to protein/fat intake. Many people do well with reduced carbohydrate intake.
  • najlaamundson
    najlaamundson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ZebraBri -

How long did it take you to lose 87 lbs? You said "last summer" - so I just want to make sure.

Don't be discouraged. Many many women hit a plateau and it can last for months. I am not a doctor or a weight loss expert but here is what I know:
    1. Eat healthy - don't be a perfectionist about it - A treat here and there isn't going to mess things up... but eat lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, fish, legumes... you get the picture.
    2. Eat enough - don't be starving yourself or you will not lose weight.
    3. MOVE - as much as you can each day. Fit in exercise when you can. Preferably 3x a week
    5. Get enough sleep and try to offset the stress in your life - stress and sleep deprivation are not good for weight loss
    6. Stop beating yourself up. It takes a long time to lose those inches... And weight can fluctuate...
    7. If you are really feeling like you've hit a wall, go and see a campus doctor or visit a campus dietician -- a professor or grad student, maybe someone at the wellness center... they can give you more specific advice.

You can do this. Don't give up. We all hit bumps.. you will get through this challenge!
  • ZebraBri
    ZebraBri Posts: 60
    Options
    Have you considered/tried macros adjustment? You may need to reevaluate your carb to protein/fat intake. Many people do well with reduced carbohydrate intake.

So foods like potatoes and whole wheat breads need to be reduced?
  • ZebraBri
    Options
    ZebraBri -

How long did it take you to lose 87 lbs? You said "last summer" - so I just want to make sure.

Don't be discouraged. Many many women hit a plateau and it can last for months. I am not a doctor or a weight loss expert but here is what I know:
    1. Eat healthy - don't be a perfectionist about it - A treat here and there isn't going to mess things up... but eat lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, fish, legumes... you get the picture.
    2. Eat enough - don't be starving yourself or you will not lose weight.
    3. MOVE - as much as you can each day. Fit in exercise when you can. Preferably 3x a week
    5. Get enough sleep and try to offset the stress in your life - stress and sleep deprivation are not good for weight loss
    6. Stop beating yourself up. It takes a long time to lose those inches... And weight can fluctuate...
    7. If you are really feeling like you've hit a wall, go and see a campus doctor or visit a campus dietitian -- a professor or grad student, maybe someone at the wellness center... they can give you more specific advice.

You can do this. Don't give up. We all hit bumps.. you will get through this challenge!
    It took me almost 2 years.

Thanks for the encouragement! Maybe I should go see a dietitian or something again. Everything else seems to not be working...especially on a budget. All the fat in my torso area just clings....
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Yup. You may want to reduce or restrict carbohydrate intake. Many people consume WAY more then they need, and a boost your protein intake can help you burn more because your body works harder to break down protein. I lost most of my weight using Atkins low carb diets (you can see my before and after on my profile). You probably dont need to go this extreme, but you could def try changing your carb load and see if this helps at all.
  • ZebraBri
    Options
    I will look into that :) thank you!
  • najlaamundson
    najlaamundson Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Yup. You may want to reduce or restrict carbohydrate intake. Many people consume WAY more then they need, and a boost your protein intake can help you burn more because your body works harder to break down protein. I lost most of my weight using Atkins low carb diets (you can see my before and after on my profile). You probably dont need to go this extreme, but you could def try changing your carb load and see if this helps at all.

Yeah - if you are eating a ton of carbs -- like "white" or processed carbs - that's something you should look at changing. I wouldn't suggest anything extreme, like Atkins - but keep an eye on how many of your calories are coming from carbs like breads, potatoes, corn, pasta, rice and such. Also sugar... oh the dreaded sugar! I am a sugar addict! Try to cut down on processed sugar. Take it one day at a time. You will get there!

n :)
  • ZebraBri
    Options

Yeah - if you are eating a ton of carbs -- like "white" or processed carbs - that's something you should look at changing. I wouldn't suggest anything extreme, like Atkins - but keep an eye on how many of your calories are coming from carbs like breads, potatoes, corn, pasta, rice and such. Also sugar... oh the dreaded sugar! I am a sugar addict! Try to cut down on processed sugar. Take it one day at a time. You will get there!

n :)

I hope so....I usually eat whole wheat bread or brown rice...