Running shoes question

Options
Hi!

I need to buy new running shoes. I used to have Nike and Reebok but I think they are not the best or the cheapest or the most beautiful so why not change for something new :smile:

I have a question for all runners - what do you think about New Balance and Asics brands?
They are not so popular in Poland so nobody can give me any advice...

How do you like them if you have them? What models are best?
My priority is good amortization because of bad knees - is there any specific sole or technology I should look for?

Have a nice day :flowerforyou:
Edyta

Replies

• edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Hi!

I need to buy new running shoes. I used to have Nike and Reebok but I think they are not the best or the cheapest or the most beautiful so why not change for something new :smile:

I have a question for all runners - what do you think about New Balance and Asics brands?
    They are not so popular in Poland so nobody can give me any advice...

How do you like them if you have them? What models are best?
    My priority is good amortization because of bad knees - is there any specific sole or technology I should look for?

Have a nice day :flowerforyou:
    Edyta
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love my New Balance shoes and I like Asics but they run small. You need to go to a runner outfitter and have them check your gait and your feet to see which types are best for your feet.
    Best of luck, happy shopping!:wink:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    agreed, you should go to a running store, not just a shoe store, and be fitted. It's important. You might pay a little more, but it's worth it. Different brands fit different feet differently, get the wrong kind and you can have all kinds of issues down the road. Get the right kind and it can feel like you're running on marshmellows! :happy:

good luck.
  • lisabeavers
    lisabeavers Posts: 115
    Options
    i have both feet and knee problems that disappeared with the first pair of New Balance shoes i bought. I love love love New Balance! I have not tried Asic, so i don't know anything about them, but i will tell anybody to try New Balance!
  • Lausus
    Lausus Posts: 2
    Options
    I still use New Balance. That's what the Marine Corps issues to it's recruits, and believe me, they do a lot of running.
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    I love my Saucony shoes. I have flat feet and they have a ton of support. I went to a running store and had an expert fit me with these.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Asics and Brooks have always fit me great, and they're super comfy :)
    BUT you'll need to go to a running store to find them.. at least the Brooks.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I only wear aasics for running! I love them. They have severel designs for different types of feet too, I overpronate so they help with that.

Saucony are great for walking but I don't like them so much for running and I have not tried the new balance at all.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Here is a link that gives great detail in finding the correct running shoe for you...

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-400--12623-0,00.html?cm_re=HP-_-Top_5_Articles-_-Summer 2008 Running Shoe Guide

Good Luck!!
  • edyta
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! :flowerforyou:

I went to New Balance store and had my foot examined. I've got slightly high arch.
    I've chosen model 826 but I have to wait for half a size bigger pair and we'll see.
    They look great but what concernes me is that I feel my feet have much space in the front. I wonder how tight should the shoe be in the front part of my foot...
    I know there should be enough space to move your toes but if my foot moves a little from left to right it's probably no good...
    I'm going to try Asics as well today or tomorrow.

Ehhh, it isn't easy

:smile:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You want space in the front because when you run your feet tend to swell/get larger. If the associate said they fit well they're probably spot on :)

If they're uncomfortable though, you may want to check something else out.
  • meemi42
    meemi42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Asics! One trick I learned is to try on two different pairs of shoes at once-- one on one foot and one from a different pair on the other. Narrow it down by which one feels the best until you have a winner.

It does make a difference to go to a specialty running store. A gait analysis will save you a lot of time and guesswork.

Good luck!
  • edyta
    Options
    Good morning :smile:

Looks like I feel better in asics than in new balance (too wide for me). The problem is there are no asics stores here were I live (I've heard that they are going to open a few soon so I'm really looking forward), there are only couple of pairs in other stores :ohwell:
    I found asics gel stratus but got confused with sizes. 8.5 was ok (and that's the size examination suggested) but I've read so much about buying a bit bigger running shoes that I'm wondering if I need 9. Can you tell me how should I feel in the perfect size?

Wow, I know it's a tough question, but YOU, My Fitness Palls, know everything :happy:

Is it that my toes cannot absolutely touch the front of the shoe no matter what? If I flex my foot and push it to the front can it touch?
  • edyta
    Options
    BTW - You guys are lucky there in the US because in Europe running shoes are much more expensive, hehe.

Appreciate that :smile: