Dissapointed with insanity calorie burn...

Options
lexlyn14
lexlyn14 Posts: 290 Member
Hi...So I like to run and I have been doing it for a while...I usually burn according to my heart rate monitor 300 calories in 30 minutes running at 6.0 with varying inclines...

I wanted to add something else to my cardio besides running so I thought I would do insanity due to the large calorie burns I have read all about...

However today I started insanity plyometric cardio circuit and after 30 minutes in realized I had only burned 220 calories...Which is less calories than I would have burned if I ran for a half hour...

However I sweat way more than I do when I am running and I felt way more exhausted...

My goal is to burn the most calories I can ...so I might just go back to running since it seems as if I burn more calories doing that...

BTW I am 5 feet 4 1/2 inches and weigh 130...My HRM is working properly and my stats are all updated...

What do you think the problem is??? Does any one else feel dissapointed at the amount of calories they are burning doing the plyometric cardio circuit from insanity???

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    as a general rule i try to get in shape, not burn calories. for my money, Insanity offers more bang for my buck in that i get a full body workout in addition to cardio so i don't care what the calories burned for either activity is.

but if you prefer running for the calorie burn, why not combine your running with a full body lifting program, like SL5x5 or NROLFW?
  • lexlyn14
    Options
    Thanks...maybe I will...
  • Pfgirl2006
    Pfgirl2006 Posts: 9
    Options
    Insanity does more muscle strength moves involved. (I haven't done it, but that's what I've heard) The thing is it also works a lot more muscle groups and will tighten and tone your whole body. I work with doctors who tell me all the time, the more muscle you have, the more calories you tend to burn in a day. It's a good thing I'd stick to it! take pictures before and after and if you do it daily you'll see results
  • angelmj1019
    Options
    Insanity is a combination of cardio and strength training. You feel more exhausted most likely due to the muscle fatigue. Have you tried kickboxing or zumba? If your main goal is calories burned, you can burn 500+ calories in an hour doing those, and the hour goes by quick. I like insanity too, but then I've never been much of a runner, I prefer doing group fitness. Good luck on your journey:)
  • lexlyn14
    Options
    Thanks so much!!!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Honestly for simple, on the spot, calorie burn you'll find it hard to beat running.

But there are lots of other reasons to mix it up and add in some extra exercises (and I say this as someone who burns most of her calories through running). Building more muscle will help you to burn more calories all day. So think of it as a long term investment. Not to mention how much better a strong, toned 130 looks than a weak, flabby 130 (not saying you're weak and flabby, just pointing out there's more to life than burning calories).
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Because of the running your aerobic fitness is super efficient, so you get a lower cal burn from insanity than a non-runner. However as others have said you're using different muscle groups that you don't use as often, which is why you're tired! You should stick with it, give the running muscles a rest and bust some new ones!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Because of the running your aerobic fitness is super efficient, so you get a lower cal burn from insanity than a non-runner. However as others have said you're using different muscle groups that you don't use as often, which is why you're tired! You should stick with it, give the running muscles a rest and bust some new ones!

Fitness level may affect HRM estimates, however, it does not affect actual calories burned. Calories burned is based on intensity and weight. Fitter people can usually work at a higher intensity however, two individuals (one fit, one not) doin the same work at the same intensity will burn the same amount of calories.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I burned my calories doing Zumba over Insanity. I have 2.5 weeks left of Insanity before I start again..

I may not burn as many calories but Insanity is reshaping my body faster than Zumba did..I can see obliques now.. and dropped a pant size in 6 weeks.
  • mamamia29
    mamamia29 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Spin classes give a great calorie burn and my fitness has improved mega!

I clock up 900+ calories burn in an hr!

Just a suggestion if u wanted to try something different :smile:
  • lexlyn14
    Options
    Awesome advice!!!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

no.. you did not..

if you did, you're going at a pace that tour de france riders go at. which I doubt.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Honestly for simple, on the spot, calorie burn you'll find it hard to beat running.

But there are lots of other reasons to mix it up and add in some extra exercises (and I say this as someone who burns most of her calories through running). Building more muscle will help you to burn more calories all day. So think of it as a long term investment. Not to mention how much better a strong, toned 130 looks than a weak, flabby 130 (not saying you're weak and flabby, just pointing out there's more to life than burning calories).

this
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

I teach several cycling classes a week. Several of my members wear heart rate monitors. I'm saying - this doesn't happen. May want to double check your heart rate monitor.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's all about your breathing and muscle control keep doing it and remember you want results toned lean muscles and not just calories burned..give it 30 days then examine the change. I do P90x and it's worth it..
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I teach several cycling classes a week. Several of my members wear heart rate monitors. I'm saying - this doesn't happen. May want to double check your heart rate monitor.
    cycling is a kick butt workout used to conduct classes ages ago and when you finish a session you feel 20lbs lighter.
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm having the same issue with Insanity, but I'm seeing results, so I keep going. For the Plyo workout, I burned 300 calories...I was dripping with sweat (ewe) and I really feel like I put a good effort into it, but that's what I burned. I have noticed that I typically burn 100 calories during just the warm up. I was running a lot beforehand as well (still do on the rest days..I miss running) and I was burning more calories running as well, but I really feel like I'm getting more of a true work out with Insanity. I'm at the end of week 2 now, so I'm going to finish and see how things go there, but like I said, I'm seeing results with it even though I don't have the higher calorie burn. I'm 5'6 and weigh a little over 150, so I don't know if that counts for anything.
  • HAPage24
    HAPage24 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration. I am in week 4 of Insanity and burn on average 400 calories per workout. I was disappointed as well with my calorie burn because I burn way more calories when I run. (I am a numbers person so I like to see higher numbers on my HRM). As the others have said, it is a full body workout so you aren't going to burn as much as if you were doing straight cardio, I have to constantly remind myself of this. Our stats are the same (I'm 5'4 3/4 133lb) so it makes me feel better that someone else is burning the same as I am.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Are you completely exhausted lying on the floor covered in sweat and breathing heavily at the end of your Insanity workout? If not, I'd guess you might not be pushing yourself hard enough. Insanity is designed to be a maximum effort workout. If you're not giving it you're all, you won't get the type of results you're looking for. This is different from running a a pace you're comfortable with for however long you run. During Insanity you want to go 100% during the exercises to shoot your heart rate up and then let it fall back down during the rest periods. It's essentially like High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

Do you think it's possible that you could push yourself more?
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    Are you completely exhausted lying on the floor covered in sweat and breathing heavily at the end of your Insanity workout? If not, I'd guess you might not be pushing yourself hard enough. Insanity is designed to be a maximum effort workout. If you're not giving it you're all, you won't get the type of results you're looking for. This is different from running a a pace you're comfortable with for however long you run. During Insanity you want to go 100% during the exercises to shoot your heart rate up and then let it fall back down during the rest periods. It's essentially like High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

Do you think it's possible that you could push yourself more?

I'm having a hard time getting my heart rate to drop down in a 30 second break...what am I supposed to do, stop the DVD to let my heart rate drop to an acceptable number before starting again? This has always confused me a little.