Side Stiches (cramps) when running/jogging

Options
I'm on week 3 of Couch to 5K, going better than I thought, but every time i have the run (jog) I get a cramp in my side, I'm pretty sure it's related to breathing. Any tips?

Replies

• closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I used to have the same problem and my wife is mid way thru c25k as well and is experiencing the same. If you slow your pace and breathe deep as possible slowly it usually takes them away. Also, drink alot of water. I always carry around a gallon of water when I am home and recently got my wife to start carring a 1/2 gallon.. good luck!!

I run long distance (marathons/ half marathons) and am always willing to talk about running!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I used to have the same problem and my wife is mid way thru c25k as well and is experiencing the same. If you slow your pace and breathe deep as possible slowly it usually takes them away. Also, drink alot of water. I always carry around a gallon of water when I am home and recently got my wife to start carring a 1/2 gallon.. good luck!!

This ^^
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I tend to get them when I drink too much water before/during my run. I'm also on week 3. I usually get started on my run by 5:30, and if I've had anything to eat or drink after about 4:00, I get the stiches and feel sick. Breathing usually helps.
  • closenre
    Options
    dont drink right before and i only carry water if I am going over 10 miles.. THe days and night before your runs are when you need to hydrate.. Drinking to much before or durring will upset your stomache and cause cramps. Also make sure to stay loose when running.. holding your shoulders or arms too high will wear you out and cause them as well..
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem and it's annoying! I've tried drinking more water, less water, deeper breathing, slowing down and nothing is helping. The only thing I can do is press really hard and lift up where the cramp actually is and it goes away, but it's hard to jog like that! It's also not a pain I can "work through" it just gets worse unless I stop. Some pain I can work through, this I can't. Any other suggestions?
  • closenre
    Options
    As for the breathing ( I go back to this because this is what I use to get rid of mine when they occur) I tend to breathe in as much air as possible filling my lungs which will shift the diaphram and hold it ... then let it out as normal and repeat.. this usually works for me. I looked this up once and I found that there really is no confirmed cause or remedy.. Try holding it longer... I wish I could help more..
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're standing tall when you run, not hunching forward compressing your chest and abdomen. Breath deep belly breaths rather than the little shallow breaths we tend to take when we over exert. If you feel a cramp starting, take a few really deep breaths and put your hands over your head. Drinking a lot while running won't stop or start a cramp but it's far better to stay hydrated all the time rather than try to chug water while you run.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    New studies have also shown a link with your foot fall and breathing. I can't remember if it was in Runner's World or in Women's Running that I saw that, but they linked foot fall and when you inhale/exhale to be a cause as well.

Make sure you are breathing in, and exhaling fully. Stitches are problems with the ligaments of the diaphragm. If you get a bad one, you can stop and massage it out and then continue on.

I get them sometimes, but I can feel them coming on and focus on my breathing when I sense them. That usually stops it in its tracks.
  • closenre
    Options
    Make sure you're standing tall when you run, not hunching forward compressing your chest and abdomen.

This too!! Good call! I usually tell my wife to run as if she is being pulled slightly forward from the waist to stop her from hunching over. Think like someone has a rope around your waist and is pulling you forward as you run.. this thought will usually get you running taller and in better form.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    try all that has been rec'd thus far, but you may also want to consider your breathing. Are you breathing in through your mouth? Train yourself to only breathe through your nose.
    Breathing through the nose delivers oxygen to the lungs more efficiently, allows oxygen molecules to travel more freely to different cells in the body, and draws air into the lower lobes of the lungs.

IF you are interested in this topic there is ton of info via googling on mouth vs nose breathing (in general) and for runners.

It has made a diff for me in that i no longer get side cramps when running.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I used to get side stitches regularly when I started running. The pain is coming from the diaphram contracting. My side stitches went away when I started paying attention to my breathing and foot fall. Try to breath in a pattern, such as releasing the breath on every other right foot fall. I also slowed my pace down. Note- side stitches and stomach cramps are totally different things to deal with. Stomach cramps are generally related to nutrition and hydration. It does get better, please don't give up! This is something that can be worked through. :smile:
  • lhusson
    lhusson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input/tips/suggestions. When I feel the stitch i try to breath in through my nose, which does seem to help-- just difficult to breath thru my nose when running outside w/ allergies. I'm well hydrated and don't eat or drink heavy pre-run so I will defiantly pay more attention to my breathing! Thanks!
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're standing tall when you run, not hunching forward compressing your chest and abdomen. Breath deep belly breaths rather than the little shallow breaths we tend to take when we over exert. If you feel a cramp starting, take a few really deep breaths and put your hands over your head. Drinking a lot while running won't stop or start a cramp but it's far better to stay hydrated all the time rather than try to chug water while you run.

^^^ This. Belly breathing. Takes some practice, but it does work.

I've read some literature about alternating foot falls with your breathing can help prevent injuries. From what I read, when you exhale, the stress you put on your forefoot is different from when you inhale. If you're constantly stressing one side, you're increasing your liklihood of injury and uneven muscle tone. That being said, i can't seem to work myself into a 3:2 or 4:3 or even 2:1 breathing pattern to make it work. I'm strictly a 3:3 no matter how I try.
  • laurenmoe
    laurenmoe Posts: 13
    Options
    I've found that to avoid side stitches I have to run on a somewhat empty stomach.... I try not to eat at least 2 hours prior to my run. When you do get side stiches, suck air in very vigorously like your sucking from a straw, and blow air out like your blowing up a balloon. This should alleviate the cramp. Good Luck!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    put pressure on it with one hand and deep breathe. that is what my bootcamp instructor has me do and it works everytime!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are breathing from your diaphragm. Picture puffing out your belly when you breathe in.
  • EKN1417
    EKN1417 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had terrible side stitches when I started running. I still get them occasionally, but they are much less frequent and much less painful. I read something years ago that said if you get side stitcheson you right side (as I always did) to make sure you inhale and exhale when your left foot hits the ground. I started doing it and it made a world of difference for me. I'm not sure if it's the actual right/left thing so much as it gets me a consisntent breathing pattern I can be mindful of. Since starting this my side stitches have improved dramatically!
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A runner friend of mine advised me to stamp down while running on the same side you have the stitch and it does kind of work it out after a few strides
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options

This! I read somewhere a tip for beginners and it mentioned deep belly breaths... helps tremendously!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    New studies have also shown a link with your foot fall and breathing. I can't remember if it was in Runner's World or in Women's Running that I saw that, but they linked foot fall and when you inhale/exhale to be a cause as well.

Make sure you are breathing in, and exhaling fully. Stitches are problems with the ligaments of the diaphragm. If you get a bad one, you can stop and massage it out and then continue on.

I get them sometimes, but I can feel them coming on and focus on my breathing when I sense them. That usually stops it in its tracks.

I've read this as well. The study I read said to exhale hard as your foot on the side with the stitch falls. It has been helping me, it takes about 2 or 3 foot falls then I'm good to go again.