what do you do with spaghetti squash?

Options
hrmom26
hrmom26 Posts: 53 Member
i get how to cook it, but what do you serve it with? A red sauce or something else? I want to give this a try and need some recipes thanks

heather

Replies

• lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can basically use it in place of pasta in almost any recipe you have. I've done it with a bolognese sauce a lot and that tastes good, but I've also seen it in baked, casserole-type dishes also.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My fave way to cook spaghetti squash is to roast it with olive oil, then shred it. Then, I toss with arugula, goat cheese, olives, and roasted red peppers for a cold "pasta salad" that is savory, salty, fills me up, and gets some greens in all at once!

I have also tossed with sesame seeds, ginger, soy sauce, and stir fry veggies as if they were Asian "noodles". Yummmm :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It pairs with anything you serve (it picks up the flavor of anything that it's being served with). That being said, don't think you can pair it with spaghetti squash and it taste like spaghetti...it won't. It will taste like spaghetti sauce. BUT...if you mix it with pasta to bulk up your pasta and to add a veggie, THAT will taste like spaghetti. You don't have to add much pasta.

I like having some on hand to put in my spaghetti or in my soups.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I replace the pasta in this recipe with it: http://womenist.blogark.com/southwestern-baked-spaghetti/ (huge hit in my house). This is also another one I've been meaning to try: http://easy-cookbook-recipes.com/skinny-spaghetti-squash-alfredo/. Really you can shred it and put and sauce over it and it's really tasty!
  • hrmom26
    hrmom26 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It pairs with anything you serve (it picks up the flavor of anything that it's being served with). That being said, don't think you can pair it with spaghetti squash and it taste like spaghetti...it won't. It will taste like spaghetti sauce. BUT...if you mix it with pasta to bulk up your pasta and to add a veggie, THAT will taste like spaghetti. You don't have to add much pasta.

I like having some on hand to put in my spaghetti or in my soups.

i didn't think of mixing with reg pasta hmmm ok so how do you save it? after cooking it can you?
  • albatrosssherpa
    albatrosssherpa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I serve it with diced onions tomatoes and feta cheese- very yummy
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I take the easy way out because I'm a slacker. Hahaha

I cut my squash into quarters and put them in a quarter inch of water. Microwave for 15 minutes. Let it cool, then flake out with a fork and put in a plastic container so you can pull some out here and there for various dishes.
  • ddzubow
    ddzubow Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I serve it with diced onions tomatoes and feta cheese- very yummy

^This, plus try adding to this some garlic, fresh basil and a chicken breast (optional, but a good way to add protein and fill up). That's a favorite dish in our house!
  • daxnine
    daxnine Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    my absolute favorite way is roasted with olive oil like someone else mentioned, then tossed with peanut sauce..

this is the recipe i use http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2012/01/30/spaghetti-squash-thai-peanut-sauce-recipe/#.UZYygvVF6So
  • ebk8767
    ebk8767 Posts: 5
    Options
    You can either pour a spaghetti type sauce over it or just add a little butter or margarine with some parm cheese or a little brown sugar. Yummy!!!!!
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Salsa, feta, black olives and green bell pepper.... Oh! So good!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I add some laughing cow cheese (a portion or two depending on how many servings), butter (a little), parm (also a little), and of course salt and pepper and stir it up so it gets all melty. It's kind of like an alfredo version.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    also good with thai peanut sauce
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    Some butter, and pumpkin pie spice (nutmeg/cinn) and bake it! YUM
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I like it all by itself with salt, pepper and a touch of butter. Yumm
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    bumping this to try out
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmm endless possibilities - a little bit of pesto - I've made it into a pizza crust even! Usually a little bit of garlic powder - S & P and a splash of olive oil - if I have any chicken italian sausage - I brown that up and toss it in--- NOM NOM NOM! Now I want some!
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I love it with just a bit of butter and salt and pepper. So yummy
  • carriehopp
    carriehopp Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bumping to try some of these recipes - they sound great!
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half and drizzle on some olive oil and parmesan and bake. Once it's fork tender you can shred it out of the peel with a fork, it looks like pasta hence the name "spaghetti squash". I have used it in placement of pasta.