I want it gone NOW! semi-rant

shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
As I was riding yesterday, I came to the realization that I've developed a new attitude.

My legs have become stronger and stronger and seemingly could go for 60 miles or more (I think) but my stamina just hasn't caught up to my legs--and it's because of these extra 99 pounds I'm still toting around.

Soooo, I realized that I am no longer AT ALL happy being overweight. And, then I realized that for years, I had convinced myself that I WAS happy being overweight because I was choosing not to do anything to lose weight.

I've never thought of myself as "big"--even though I was overweight by 145 pounds. I have a very large frame for a woman and had convinced myself that I could carry all that extra weight because of it.

But the last year or so, it had really began to impact my life. My diabetes was getting worse, so was my blood pressure, and it was taking more and more meds to control them.

And, I was finding that it was getting harder to do even simple things--like climb a flight of stairs. I kept telling myself, "you're just getting old is all" but it was my weight more than anything.

When I pulled my back muscles simply getting up out of a chair 5 months ago, I realized I couldn't fool myself anymore! I needed to lose weight--no two ways about it.

NOW--here's the rant part!

Since I've lost weight, been exercising and feeling better every day, I AM SICK AND TIRED OF BEING OVERWEIGHT!

I want this extra 99 pounds gone, AND I WANT IT GONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so angry at myself sometimes now that I allowed myself to get like this and thinking of how many more months it is going to take to get to my goal weight, and I just want it NOW!

I am really loving my bike rides but this extra weight is making it so difficult to do any real distance and so much harder to push that bike the distances I am riding.

I don't want to wait another 6 months or 9 months or even 1 day--i want to be healthy and at my goal now!

o4fsad.gif

Rant over---
So, I just need patience right now. Oh, how I wish I could go back 20 or 25 years and slap myself silly, so i could have done this when I was young!

post-386-1127687954.gif

Replies

• shorerider
    As I was riding yesterday, I came to the realization that I've developed a new attitude.

My legs have become stronger and stronger and seemingly could go for 60 miles or more (I think) but my stamina just hasn't caught up to my legs--and it's because of these extra 99 pounds I'm still toting around.

Soooo, I realized that I am no longer AT ALL happy being overweight. And, then I realized that for years, I had convinced myself that I WAS happy being overweight because I was choosing not to do anything to lose weight.

I've never thought of myself as "big"--even though I was overweight by 145 pounds. I have a very large frame for a woman and had convinced myself that I could carry all that extra weight because of it.

But the last year or so, it had really began to impact my life. My diabetes was getting worse, so was my blood pressure, and it was taking more and more meds to control them.

And, I was finding that it was getting harder to do even simple things--like climb a flight of stairs. I kept telling myself, "you're just getting old is all" but it was my weight more than anything.

When I pulled my back muscles simply getting up out of a chair 5 months ago, I realized I couldn't fool myself anymore! I needed to lose weight--no two ways about it.

NOW--here's the rant part!

Since I've lost weight, been exercising and feeling better every day, I AM SICK AND TIRED OF BEING OVERWEIGHT!

I want this extra 99 pounds gone, AND I WANT IT GONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so angry at myself sometimes now that I allowed myself to get like this and thinking of how many more months it is going to take to get to my goal weight, and I just want it NOW!

I am really loving my bike rides but this extra weight is making it so difficult to do any real distance and so much harder to push that bike the distances I am riding.

I don't want to wait another 6 months or 9 months or even 1 day--i want to be healthy and at my goal now!

o4fsad.gif

Rant over---
    So, I just need patience right now. Oh, how I wish I could go back 20 or 25 years and slap myself silly, so i could have done this when I was young!

post-386-1127687954.gif
  • Lara1985
    Lara1985 Posts: 14
    I totally know how you feel, i have absolutely no patience when it comes to losing weight, i want instant results....and find myself on the scales 3 or 4 times a day!!

But..... it does take time and to diet right and to keep the weight off its best to take it slow. but you are doing fantastically already.

keep up the good work and in the future you will be on the news for winning le tour de france!!!!

:smile:

XX

72567.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Be patient!!! Wouldn't it be nice if we could go back in time......

I have seen your posts about riding like 30 / 40 miles. That is AWESOME! You should be so proud of yourself. Try to focus on what an accomplishment you have made rather than what you still have left to do. I know...easier said than done, right. But you WILL get there....

Best of luck :heart: :smile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    I think that we all feel the same way as you Shorerider. We're all starting to lose weight and feel better about ourselves, but, then we think of all that we still have to lose, and get alittle discouraged.
    BUT, that being said, MOST of the time we're also feeling pretty great that we HAVE lost weight!
    We're doing it, and we might not be happy that it's still going to take awhile, BUT, we WILL get there!!! Keep that in mind when you're feeling alittle down, ok?! You're doing awesome! Keep up the great job!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    I really am sooooo sorry to see your frustration. I have seen the effort you put in this and I can tell from your posts that you really love riding your bike. I'd rather see you happy with what you accomplish. Looking around here there are few people who want to loose as much weight as you do and put in that kind of athletic effort. And I know what it means to ride 40 miles being overweight! It is not easy for me. And it requires a lot of planning. Need to eat right before and after, need to plan for the time and so on. At this level it is a little more than just taking the bike for a spin around the block.
    Before you were riding like this you had as you described yourself a lot of excuses ( old age et cetera) instead of attributing your being out of shape to your weight. Now, on the bike, that doesn't work anymore.

You can be very proud about what you accomplished so far. And seeing what you do every week on the bike, I am absolutely sure you WILL losse that weight. Faster than someone who for what ever reason can not put in that much physical effort.

You said "I am really loving my bike rides but this extra weight is making it so difficult to do any real distance "

What is a real distance lady????????????????????????????????:mad:

40 miles is nothing to sneeze at, it means you are out there at least 3 hours riding. And you are right, if you can do that, you can ride 60 miles or 65 which would be a metric century too!

May I suggest something?

Set yourself goals and make a plan. A reasonable plan! Like: I will ride x amount of miles in one ride by the end of August. Or September. Then you go back to where you are now and increase the milage every week by 10%. That will allow you to see better what you already have accomplished. Keep track of that! Like a diary or such.

My goal is 65 miles this year. I already know I will get there. And next year 100. And trust me, I curse every single pound I have. You should see me going up a hill. OMG! How embarrasing. I can ride only the slow rides with the bike club because I am not fast enough (partially due to being overweight). So I know how you feel. Even worse, I was in much better shape 2 or 3 years ago and lost it all again.

But PLEASE STOP being mad at yourself! Don't help and only give you wrinkles!:wink: And then you'll be upset about the wrinkles!

Read your recent posts what you did so far on the bike and you will hopefully look like this
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    You're doing awesome. 40 lb gone already. Remember what it was like before you lost the 40 lb? So just take a moment and imagine what it will be like at your next goal. 60 miles will be nothing for you. Don't get too discouraged with yourself. You are smart enough to make a change. Too many people choose to give up their whole lives and die young because of it. But you're making a positive change, and your posts are always so encouraging for us. So please keep up the good, steady progress...for yourself...and for us...:happy:
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Please don't ponder on what could have been, you're doing it now (trust me) :wink:

REMEMBER "TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE" :flowerforyou:

You will do it, here's to you :drinker:
    24167.png
  • 31proverbs
    31proverbs Posts: 10
    being patient with yourself,not others yourself. I was praying this morning and I need to be patient with myself. I'm to hard on myself. All I should be losing is a 1 lb a week. That"s keeping it real.
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Just as you reminded me... not it's my turn:
    "I will praise thee for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works!" Psalms 139
    That impatience is just the enemy...let it go and trust because you are absolutely perfect because God made you and will get you through anything! I needed that today too!
    Keep your head up, you've inspired too many people on here alone!
    Take care and continue to ENJOY THOSE RIDES!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Keep up the good work!! You are going to have moments or days where you feel down. I always tell myself they (workouts) count double. Keep riding that bike. I just bought a bike recently and I am only riding 2-5 miles at a time. So you could ride circles around me:smile: Keep thinking about how far you have come. And remember to be proud of the progress you have made.
  • shorerider
    Thanks for all the support, guys!

I was so down, I didn't want to go for ride today at all, so I made a BIG banana smoothie and drink it--knowing that I had no recourse after that. Either exercise or my sugar levels would go through the roof! So I set off and got 34 miles today!

And what a great ride,too! I can turn left or right out of my driveway and have literally hundreds of miles of rural roads, farm fields, woods, marshes, and little towns to ride through that are just overflowing with wildlife.

This morning, I saw a red fox--gorgeous!--and two geese families with all their babies, and tons of song birds! And, maybe 15 cars the whole time! God is good!

I think I've been pushing myself too hard and trying to increase my distance gradually. Thanks for the reminder about setting small goals, Schultz! I had tried to jump from 30 to 40 miles in one week, and I think my body just had it! So today I just did 34. Next week, I'll try for 37 and so on.

I remember a former pastor telling me to never pray for patience because God won't give you patience but will give you plenty of opportunities to develop patience--unfortunately, I had already prayed for patience at that point! :ohwell: And, God's REALLY giving me opportunity to develop it now!

Group hug!
    love0028.gif
  • Courtney
    Courtney Posts: 20
    Everything that you've done thus far is very encouraging and I understand your frustration. Just remember that you have hundreds of people on this website cheering for you!:happy:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Shorerider,

Enjoy the increase in your strength and stamina each time you mount your bike.

Live in THIS moment...the past is gone...the future... just a thought.

I am proud of you...now! :wink:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Wait for it....

"ALAKAZAM!" ....

*blink*

did it work? Shore, are you at your goal?

No???!!!

That DAMN witch doctor lied to me! And I had to gut a chicken and everything.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

:tongue:

You'll get there, don't worry. And when you do, you'll have way more pride and sense of accomplishment because it was something that took hard work and you couldn't just poof and make it happen!
This discussion has been closed.