Hurt my lower back!!

Options
mabledog
mabledog Posts: 21 Member
First induction at the gym yesterday (i havent exercized for 3 years) i am so out of shape, morbidly obese, my lower back is really hurting me today. i didnt even exercize that much as it was just showing me how different machine done things, please tell me this will get better.
i know i need to strengthen my back with exercize, however im frightened of doing more damage!
What things can i do at home to make it stronger??

Replies

• mabledog
    Options
    BUMP!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Is it just sore? Does it not hurt when you are sitting? Are you getting shooting pains down your legs? I ask all these because if its just soreness, that will pass but if its the other you may have to put off the gym till things heal. In any event, skip a day of working out to give your body a chance to recoup. And drink lots of water to help your muscles heal.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Try stretching it out, or to relieve some pain lie on your back and put your legs up.
  • mabledog
    Options
    Hi, its hurting all the time even sitting! it is really twinging i feel as if i move too much or bend its going to get worse. no shootinng down my legs. ive drunk plenty of water today. do u think i should rest, or keep moving about?
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would definitely rest until it is better. I have experienced pain like this often. The closer you get to being in better shape and the more active you stay the better it will be. Sometimes when my pain is bad I am still able to walk to stay active. Stretching is important! My hamstrings are tight and that causes my pain usually. Hope this helps a little.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would take it easy. No sense in aggravating it. Not sure if stretching would help...can try it gently but if it feels worse, stop. Don't be afraid to let things heal. I had sciatica last year....couldn't exercise for almost a month. Didn't stop me from continuing to lose weight. When it starts to feel better then you can ease back into exercising.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Usually caused by poor posture (inability to keep tension), which results in extension or flexion issues in lumbar region. Fix these issues, and only load the spine when it is in a stable, tensioned, neutral position.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Take some pain meds and take it easy for a few days to see if it gets better. I hurt my back through a combination of pulling weeds and lifting weights and I was on the lamb for a few days. It felt better in about 5 days. When you start any exercise program, especially lifting, start slow and then gradually increase your intensity. I prefer higher reps with lower weight for lifting (I do 3-4 sets of about 15 reps).
  • circles2
    circles2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ouch! well, I am not a doctor and not offering medical advice, just an opinion.( I worked in orthopedics for 40 yrs.) I don't think you should do anything until the pain starts to subside...if you have leg pain with the low back, try putting pillows under your knees while lying down. You'll probably be comfy with ice pack off and on ( dont' injure your skin)..try for 15 minutes.. If ice doesn't help, then warm moist heat. Can yousoak in a tub?